Sponsored by:

Bought a used C2S, launch control isn't as fast as expected

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 12:18 AM
fstezaws
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Bought a used C2S, launch control isn't as fast as expected

I bought a used C2S with about 5900 miles on it. I expected it to not be perfect, and the CPO warranty made me feel pretty comfortable. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped.

When launching with launch control, there is a pretty significant amount of clutch slip. Based on videos watched online with a more "violent" launch, it seems mine probably has seen a lot of action and the clutch just doesn't grab very well.

I imagine that this isn't something that I should expect the CPO warranty to cover, but, this is the place to ask in case anyone else has had this kind of service under warranty!

PS - I had a 2019 M5 Competition, and I could consistently get 2.89s 0-60 (measured with vBOX Sport) and it was definitely WAY more violent than the C2S. Carwow seemed to get low 3s, and I would be surprised if I'm breaking 4s. I'll need to go measure it I guess.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:56 AM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 245 Posts

Tires good?
Old 11-18-2020, 12:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Right -- clutch slip or tire slip? What's the temp outside? Tires warmed up? M5 Comp is AWD which makes some difference in feel.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:07 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

I also had an M5 right before I got my first Porsche. I’d completely agree that the m5 (heck the m3 too) is way more violent in how the launch control feels.

However, the Porsche is no slouch. It just has way more finesse in how it drops the clutch.

I’d slap the vbox on and see what it shows. You might be surprised. Hopefully.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:39 AM
fstezaws
Advanced

I would say that the tires have adequate tread, might not be incredibly warm as temps are colder a bit, but you can definitely feel how it feathers in before it tries to surge is all.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:36 AM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

I did a few "LC" on mine (not real LC, just holding the brake) - one thing I noticed is there is a definitely delay/lag between letting off the brake and it actually "launching". So for me as the driver, it didn't feel quite as quick as it probably would for a passenger. That said, it's a pretty violent jolt forward, followed by an equally violent shift into second. My quickest time was 3.7 ("Base" Cab), G-meter said 1.11. Interestingly, I have been getting a lot more slip on my HRE wheels now - despite being the same wheel width and tire size (and same tire model), and technically the wheels are a few pounds heavier. Only difference is the more aggressive offset. I thought I lowered the pressure to where it was before...but haven't quite figured it out.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:40 AM
antsjey
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah maybe more tyre slip as expected in the 2S especially if road surface and temps aren't spot on.
Carwow was getting 3 seconds flat in a 4S which launches a lot better than the 2S
Old 11-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

The PDK and clutch on these things are rock solid, I doubt that you are getting clutch slip due to the car being "used" be the previous owner. You can see vids out there (from previous gen 991) where they launch it 200 times, and still no degradation.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:20 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by antsjey
Yeah maybe more tyre slip as expected in the 2S especially if road surface and temps aren't spot on.
Carwow was getting 3 seconds flat in a 4S which launches a lot better than the 2S
road surface definitely has an impact!
Old 11-18-2020, 12:42 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by fstezaws
I bought a used C2S with about 5900 miles on it. I expected it to not be perfect, and the CPO warranty made me feel pretty comfortable. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped.

When launching with launch control, there is a pretty significant amount of clutch slip. Based on videos watched online with a more "violent" launch, it seems mine probably has seen a lot of action and the clutch just doesn't grab very well.

I imagine that this isn't something that I should expect the CPO warranty to cover, but, this is the place to ask in case anyone else has had this kind of service under warranty!

PS - I had a 2019 M5 Competition, and I could consistently get 2.89s 0-60 (measured with vBOX Sport) and it was definitely WAY more violent than the C2S. Carwow seemed to get low 3s, and I would be surprised if I'm breaking 4s. I'll need to go measure it I guess.
When your ready to Mod it, you can make it a real beast with an ECU upgrade and exhaust and cat.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:04 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

No offense but you sound obsessed with 0-60 times. I think maybe you bought the wrong car?
Old 11-18-2020, 01:39 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by lucycan
No offense but you sound obsessed with 0-60 times. I think maybe you bought the wrong car?
I disagree. He's just sharing what he noticed and asking if its normal. Coming form a M5 to a 911S, I can vouge for why and how he could feel that way. BMW's are violent at launch.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:11 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I disagree. He's just sharing what he noticed and asking if its normal. Coming form a M5 to a 911S, I can vouge for why and how he could feel that way. BMW's are violent at launch.
I re-read his ask a few times and agree. My apologies to the OP.
The following 3 users liked this post by lucycan:
BIGWORM (11-18-2020), Russian Mafia (11-18-2020), Tanqueray86 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 04:14 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I had an F90 M5 Competition and ironically, I feel that the C2S, overall, feels like a faster car to me. Maybe it's the overall relative softness of the M5 in comparison.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:31 PM
fstezaws
Advanced

Originally Posted by rk-d
I had an F90 M5 Competition and ironically, I feel that the C2S, overall, feels like a faster car to me. Maybe it's the overall relative softness of the M5 in comparison.
I don't know if I would agree it "feels" faster, but it definitely feels like it never stops climbing. The F90 Comp was faster for sure (especially 60-130 times), but it didn't quite feel like it was always pulling to the very top. The C2S definitely feels more effortless to move, and begs you to keep pressing and pushing all the way to the top, so that part makes me feel it enjoys being faster. Knowing I can stop it better than the M5 gives me more confidence, as the M5 brakes weren't nearly as strong and so I was more cautious at the limit.

Originally Posted by lucycan
The fact that I have a vBOX and haven't measured it shows that I don't really care about the numbers, its about the feel. The M5 was a very snappy reaction, and the videos online of the C2S show a similar very immediate reaction (albeit less violent), and mine feels like it has a pretty noticeable delay from the time I let off the brake and to where the clutch feels fully engaged.

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
The PDK and clutch on these things are rock solid, I doubt that you are getting clutch slip due to the car being "used" be the previous owner. You can see vids out there (from previous gen 991) where they launch it 200 times, and still no degradation.
Thats how I felt too, with all the crazy hooning on these I would imagine the clutches would wear out quickly. The fact that there is no built-in programming to eliminate excessive abuse (like my M5 did) made me think these are rock solid.

Originally Posted by antsjey
I find it very difficult to get the tires to slip. I've launched in PSM Sport and do not hear any slip whatsoever. Maybe its the PSM Sport actually haha. Porsche advertises only 0.1s difference between the C2S and C4S, and we all know that 0.1s is imperceptible. When I watch the Carwow video, it is a very very rapid lurch forward, where mine feels like a pretty noticeable delay.

Originally Posted by markchristenson
road surface definitely has an impact!
Totally, but I don't detect any wheel spin whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Bought a used C2S, launch control isn't as fast as expected