Sponsored by:

Dealer Gifts at Signing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 01:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Default Dealer Gifts at Signing

It’s bothered me since I signed for my car that my SA proudly gave me two key chains as a gift. I don’t use key chains. I’ve sent four people his way that purchased cars, and also never had a thank you. I know they made about 15K minus “certified” and carrying costs on my trade, and received 6% discount on the new one, so they had decent margin. I know it’s petty but I just wanted to see some expression of appreciation and goodwill. For example, when I purchased my Cayman, I received a nice engraved Porsche travel bag. I use it a lot and it was very much appreciated.

So, I was wondering if this stinginess is the new norm or if anybody received a decent thank you gift when they signed for their 992?
The following users liked this post:
M718R (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Did you ask for swag upon delivery?

The last Porsche I bought, a 991 GT3 RS, I got clear side markers, a Porsche Motorsport jacket and a small die cast model of my car (in a different color however) as well as the key trim in the color of my seat belts at delivery.

I think it just comes down to being willing to ask.
pet2065 (01-29-2021)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Did you ask for swag upon delivery?

The last Porsche I bought, a 991 GT3 RS, I got clear side markers, a Porsche Motorsport jacket and a small die cast model of my car (in a different color however) as well as the key trim in the color of my seat belts at delivery.

I think it just comes down to being willing to ask.
No, if I asked it wouldn’t be a gift of appreciation.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
997usa (11-15-2020), Domoic (11-28-2020), iamwingman (11-15-2020), markchristenson (11-15-2020), paddlefoot64 (11-15-2020), UPS DAVE (11-15-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:53 PM
M718R
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Porsche dealers are not the best at showing appreciation. I have found that many of the other car brands are better at it. I know its a dealer thing and not all are the same, but you would think that Porsche NA would maybe supply something special for 911 owners (better than key chains). It wouldn't make a difference to what car I would buy (a gift at delivery won't change me from buying the car), but it would make a difference to what dealer I use/refer people to in the future.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Todd C
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Dan - I got the two key chains at delivery, plus my SA had bought and installed clear side markers. Along the way I asked to buy a hat and the SA gave it to me, and also gifted me the 2020 calendar when we signed/ordered in February. I think the calendar was kind of an extra one hanging around 10% through the year, but it was still a nice gesture.
Schwarz992C4S (11-16-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
No, if I asked it wouldn’t be a gift of appreciation.
Squeaky wheels gets the attention.

Even if, and sometimes, as it comes to appreciation.
lucycan (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

I got T shirts, travel mug, all weather floor mats, and a couple of nice pens. All actual useful stuff. 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
M718R (11-15-2020), mdrobc1213 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:13 PM
M718R
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn
I got T shirts, travel mug, all weather floor mats, and a couple of nice pens. All actual useful stuff. 👍
I have to pay for winter floor mats, clear side markers etc. ( I think doing the clear side markers if you want them is a nice touch from the dealer ), Maybe it's not the dealer, and all the swag come from the SA. Anyone know if these are things that the SA actually pays for out of his commissions? Or do you think it comes down from the dealer?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:17 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts

you barely get a water, or a coffee when entering the (any) dealership! I am always surprised about the cold, nonchalant approach of the dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by 997usa:
JustChris (01-20-2021), M718R (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:31 PM
tfcoll
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Loyalty is a thing of the past.
The following 3 users liked this post by tfcoll:
Drizz (11-16-2020), lucycan (11-15-2020), Slamminc6 (01-29-2023)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:34 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

These days all I hope for are dealer responses to my emails...
The following 2 users liked this post by gohawks23:
997usa (11-15-2020), JustChris (01-20-2021)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:44 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
These days all I hope for are dealer responses to my emails...
Don’t joke, had an email at 23:00 yesterday (a Saturday) saying wife’s macan turbo is at port ready for the next UK boat

Now my 911, due end of December, zero so far but when I get the “it’s on the production line” mail I will send the M5 off to pasture instantly.

Free-be stuff, oh I’m going to ask for everything, and I mean a whole frunk load of stuff! £200k spent at one dealer in a single month... if Porsche sell a buttplug I want that free too!
Schwarz992C4S (11-16-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:47 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

I have always been amazed at how friendly and helpful most dealerships are and have been made to feel as welcome when I was buying my 40K ex loaner CPO Macan as I was when I was buying my 992.

I agree with OP that it would have been nice to have been given such gifts without asking but at the end of the day I do not think there is anything wrong with asking.

I am in a different service industry and I am often amazed at how some of my clients take slights over things I would not even think of would have been an issue. Others get upset with things that are not even logical. Just different perspective on what they think they are owed.

From a purely business POV if the OP thinks his trade in was fair and his discount was fair then that was the business deal and the rest is fluff. If he does not think they were fair then he should have negotiated a fairer price and a mug should not be sufficient to make up for the difference.

Most of the stuff that they seem to have given would sit in my home collecting dust although I do want one of those coffee cups and side markers and or all weather mats will be a nice touch. My SA is a funny New Yorker who was easy to work with and has kept me up to date on my cars progress. When he knows he tells me and when he doesn't, he doesn't BS me - that for me has been way more important. When the times comes for me to pick up my car, his lack of offering swag to me is not going to be something that I walk away resenting and feeling anger over an otherwise great deal. Yes I will certainly use my usual hints and taunts to remind him that we do business a little different in NJ and if he does bite or does not bite I am not going to let that sour what so far has been a really smooth, easy and mostly very fair (read good) deal. If I get the mats great and if not I will spring for the $100.

Take home message - if your SA offers it to you great, if he doesn't ask, and if you ask and he says no just buy it yourself if you need it but do not let the little things spoil what for many is the car of their dreams
Old 11-15-2020, 03:00 PM
M718R
Instructor

Originally Posted by craig66
I have always been amazed at how friendly and helpful most dealerships are and have been made to feel as welcome when I was buying my 40K ex loaner CPO Macan as I was when I was buying my 992.

I agree with OP that it would have been nice to have been given such gifts without asking but at the end of the day I do not think there is anything wrong with asking.

I am in a different service industry and I am often amazed at how some of my clients take slights over things I would not even think of would have been an issue. Others get upset with things that are not even logical. Just different perspective on what they think they are owed.

From a purely business POV if the OP thinks his trade in was fair and his discount was fair then that was the business deal and the rest is fluff. If he does not think they were fair then he should have negotiated a fairer price and a mug should not be sufficient to make up for the difference.

Most of the stuff that they seem to have given would sit in my home collecting dust although I do want one of those coffee cups and side markers and or all weather mats will be a nice touch. My SA is a funny New Yorker who was easy to work with and has kept me up to date on my cars progress. When he knows he tells me and when he doesn't, he doesn't BS me - that for me has been way more important. When the times comes for me to pick up my car, his lack of offering swag to me is not going to be something that I walk away resenting and feeling anger over an otherwise great deal. Yes I will certainly use my usual hints and taunts to remind him that we do business a little different in NJ and if he does bite or does not bite I am not going to let that sour what so far has been a really smooth, easy and mostly very fair (read good) deal. If I get the mats great and if not I will spring for the $100.

Take home message - if your SA offers it to you great, if he doesn't ask, and if you ask and he says no just buy it yourself if you need it but do not let the little things spoil what for many is the car of their dreams
I agree sometimes an SA will overlook throwing in some freebies, and when you ask they won't have a problem with doing it. However, I think every type of sales business understands the importance of appreciation. The deal is clearly the most important part, not the swag. If the OP's SA had provided that same level from previous purchases we wouldn't even be having this topic. That is the difference, consistency and appreciation. I don't think every SA is the same, but a good one will see the value in the little things, especially when you don't have to ask. I do think some SA's/dealers under estimate its effectiveness.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M718R
I have to pay for winter floor mats, clear side markers etc. ( I think doing the clear side markers if you want them is a nice touch from the dealer ), Maybe it's not the dealer, and all the swag come from the SA. Anyone know if these are things that the SA actually pays for out of his commissions? Or do you think it comes down from the dealer?
Each SA has an allowance for each car sold.

They can apply any unused allowance towards another customer.

You just have to ask. Nicely.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
craig66 (11-15-2020), mdrobc1213 (11-25-2020), Wilsontour (11-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Dealer Gifts at Signing