992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Temporary Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020 | 02:12 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Hmm...yes very weird occurrence. I agree that its likely in the algorithm that controls the electronics. Not sure if auto cruise control may have been a factor only with the Active stop mode and Auto Start. Lots of modes and things to confuse the electronic brain of your car. 6mph isn't great speed so thank goodness for that! Another reason why I don't use auto-start/stop and disable it whenever I can and in any car I drive. I just put them into Sport mode and drive. ABS shouldn't cut on at 6 mph one would think. Glad car is repairable and small fix ($2000 isn't small to a lot of people yes including me). Could have been worse. Keep us updated.
Old 04-16-2024 | 02:46 PM
unskirted
Instructor

anyone else run into this issue? I felt this once recently. @Flesh2112 did you find a resolution?
Old 04-16-2024 | 06:58 PM
Flesh2112
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unskirted
anyone else run into this issue? I felt this once recently. @Flesh2112 did you find a resolution?
I got my 992 damage fixed and a few weeks later again in stop and go traffic, the car lunged forward as I was slowing from a crawl. It is when the auto start stop engages and then disengages quickly. Luckily I was no where close to the car in front of me.
Porsche again said nothing wrong seen in diagnostics.
i fixed the problem- I traded to 992 and since then got out of Porsche altogether (lots of reasons why).
I am convinced it was a little timing issue with the auto start stop. I turned it off the majority of the time but sometimes would foget to disable it in regular drive mode.
I had hoped it’s been fixed with a software upgrade by now but I didn’t want to wait to find out.
It’s funny how with 50 plus cars over the last few years I’ve never had another “user error” with any other car- like so many was sure was the issue.
RF
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024 | 12:39 PM
TargaBlues
1st Gear

Unhappy 991 temporary brake failure

I had a similar event to the one described in the 992. Mine occurred in a 2015 991, Targa 4S with PDK, recently purchased as pre-owned, but not as CPO. I was driving on an interstate beltway in what turned out to become stop and go traffic. With 5 -6 car lengths ahead of me the vehicle ahead of me slowed and I tapped my brake pedal lightly to deactivate my cruise control and began coasting slowly. As the vehicle in front of mine hit his brakes, I hit mine as well--nothing! This happened over a distance of about 1/8 mile as I kept pushing on my brake pedal all the way to the floor and there was no response. I was gradually approaching the vehicle ahead of me at a slow, but steady pace. I began to panic, repeatedly trying the brakes with no response. If I had a handbrake lever style on the Targa, I could have and would have used it. But with the electronic brake on this model, I was reluctant to use that for fear of coming to an abrupt stop causing the vehicle behind me to cause a rear-end hit--much more serious than a front-end hit. By the time I impacted the vehicle in front of mine, he had come to a slow stop and I had slowed to 5-10 mph still having no brake response. At this point, I suppose that I could have applied the electronic brake, but in my panic it didn't occur to me. Strangely, I impacted that vehicle 4 times! It hit, bounced back, hit again, bounced back X4! It was out of control. All the while I had my foot on the brake pedal, never the accelerator. At this point the Targa had come to a rest, I placed it in park and turned off the ignition. We inspected the damage--all was all to my front end. I had only impacted his trailer hitch which had a rubber cover on it causing no damage to his truck. He agreed and drove off. I entered my car started it up and began moving slowly, testing the brakes. Now they worked perfectly! I drove carefully to the Porsche dealership to have the Targa inspected. They detected no faults; tested the brakes and they worked perfectly and said "such a thing could not ever happen." The car is about to come out of repairs and then I am going to take it to a local Porsche guru, who is described as the brain surgeon of Porsches and who
has direct connections to Stuttgart. After seeing what happened to the 992 and doing some research, I think that my car was hacked. As weird as it seems, there is enough evidence to suspect that. Even though the brakes have worked well since, driving the car to the dealership and then home that day, and later driving to the repair shop, I have grave concerns driving it. I have been told that upgrading the electronics will prevent future occurrences. I'll have to wait for the guru's opinion. For those of you who are interested, I will provide updates.
Old 08-18-2024 | 01:20 PM
pal
Racer

Reading this entire thread, it seems like a combination of PDK, ***, and stop & go traffic can lead to some unique code path in the cross-component software, that gives an incorrect signal to the ABS system, which then puts the brakes into ice mode. Ice mode, as jennifer911 described, is for sure a thing and it's not limited to Porsches. I've experienced this on track occasionally on prior track cars, and as recently as yesterday on my F87 M2, once, when braking from 147 mph for a 65-70mph turn on track. It's not a great feeling to have a very firm brake pedal, your right foot standing on the pedal, and the car not slowing down at the expected rate. And yesterday, next lap onwards, I gave myself just a touch more braking room and the brakes worked flawlessly for the rest of the day.

TargaBlues, I look forward to what your guru finds on your car. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2024 | 04:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

It seems like a terrible oversight that it’s possible for a computer system to override the brakes on a car. There should remain a manual system to slow the car as a failsafe. This is why master cylinders had/have 2 systems, one that drives the left front wheel and right rear, and the other that drives the right front and left rear. Plus the manual e-brake.

Does the new 911 not have this?

Quick Reply: 992 Temporary Brake Failure