Sponsored by:

c2s - 2020 options - help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 09:26 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
It will take a car expert to figure out what shenanigans this dealer is presenting. Wouldn't you like to know...'the rest of the story ' ?
Very much so.

With literally hundreds of people waiting months for their cars and allocations with other dealers offering 3-4% off new 2020's and here is a dealer who says sure here take 14% off. As I said above I would have to love the spec, get the bumper fixed without a Carfax report, get it CPO'd and something from the dealer showing it was never in and accident and at least 14% off and knowing that I am selling it the day the warranty is over - perhaps then I take the car but otherwise it just does not gel
Old 11-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

It will take a car expert to figure out what shenanigans this dealer is presenting. Wouldn't you like to know...'the rest of the story ' ?
Originally Posted by craig66
There is definitely a lt of unanswered questions but in reality if you love the car, they fix the bumper, and they give you a CPO all for 14% off then you are getting a 2020 C2S with a 5 year warranty for a very reasonable price and especially if you are not planning on keeping the car for more than 5 years they will have paid your first year depreciation and then some and you will have a reasonable added discount to pad the deal. If it is your forever car then personally the questions raised would bother me a little more and also if you are keeping a car for 10 years then the depreciation is not as important and you want to make sure the build is exactly what you wanted.

It is strange though that this demonstrator has only 20 miles and that in this current Covid crisis they actually offered you 14% off - clearly you did not have to fight for it.
Bear in mind though as one astute poster stated at some point - most people go into a car with the idea that it is their forever car until 2 years later when they are in the process of trading.

I
the configuration works for me - car has everything I need and nothing I don't want. this is not a car I plan on trading in a couple of years down the road, unexpected circumstances notwithstanding.

@craig66 what do you mean by "most people go into a car with the idea that it is their forever car until 2 years later when they are in the process of trading.'?
Old 11-08-2020, 09:38 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

It appears that Arun Rao is going to consult a car expert, someone who has performed amazingly, for me for one car sale and two car purchases. If he allows, I will provide the group with his conclusions.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:41 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Very much so.

With literally hundreds of people waiting months for their cars and allocations with other dealers offering 3-4% off new 2020's and here is a dealer who says sure here take 14% off. As I said above I would have to love the spec, get the bumper fixed without a Carfax report, get it CPO'd and something from the dealer showing it was never in and accident and at least 14% off and knowing that I am selling it the day the warranty is over - perhaps then I take the car but otherwise it just does not gel
I will ask about the cpo and getting the bumper fixed without having it show up on the Carfax.

I will ask them again if the car has been in an accident - answer from them right now is "no, of course not". how can they prove the car has never been in an accident? again, is this something I should be verifying independently?

re: " selling it the day the warranty is over -" - don't think I would do that if the car has served me well for 4+ years. for reference, I still have my originally-purchased-by-me 2006 boxster s

seems like consensus is that something is wrong with this car - thus the instant 14% discount.

I will investigate further and keep this thread in the loop!

Old 11-08-2020, 09:46 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

It appears that Arun Rao is going to consult a car expert, someone who has performed amazingly, for me for one car sale and two car purchases. If he allows, I will provide the group with his conclusions.
correct. tomorrow morning! should I explain the deal I have been offered to him? that was not actually on my agenda
Old 11-08-2020, 09:47 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arun Rao
I will ask about the cpo and getting the bumper fixed without having it show up on the Carfax.

I will ask them again if the car has been in an accident - answer from them right now is "no, of course not". how can they prove the car has never been in an accident? again, is this something I should be verifying independently?

re: " selling it the day the warranty is over -" - don't think I would do that if the car has served me well for 4+ years. for reference, I still have my originally-purchased-by-me 2006 boxster s

seems like consensus is that something is wrong with this car - thus the instant 14% discount.

I will investigate further and keep this thread in the loop!
Great ! All too often we are taken advantage of because there is literally no one to ask. But here, you do have someone to ask.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:53 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

correct. tomorrow morning! should I explain the deal I have been offered to him? that was not actually on my agenda
Interesting reply, should I ask.... YOU ASK ANYTHING !
This is business !
The Dealership, this agent, are there to serve your needs, not theirs.
Your timid attitude makes you ripe for people to take advantage of you.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:09 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

the configuration works for me - car has everything I need and nothing I don't want. this is not a car I plan on trading in a couple of years down the road, unexpected circumstances notwithstanding.

@craig66 what do you mean by "most people go into a car with the idea that it is their forever car until 2 years later when they are in the process of trading.'?
What I mean is that a lot of people make their decision on the expectation that this is a car that they will keep forever. Historically though most people are fickle and sell after 2-4 years. I am one of those. Every car was my forever car and yet I have yet to keep a car beyond warrantee. Most recently I dipped my foot into Porsche world with a 718 which I fell in love with instantly and swore it was my forever car. Fast forward 18 months although I still loved it I pre-traded it for my pending 992. Thankfully I had got a good deal on the way in and unfortunately due to Covid I got a great deal on the way out but it could have meant taking a big loss in the first two years of ownership. If you are that kind of person you need to factor it into your decision making process, It seems with your Boxster you might be a forever person and so you need to factor that into your Purchase as it pertains to a healthy car post warranty expiration and making sure it has everything you need. On the flip side because you might be a forever person paying a little more to avoid the headaches associated with a car with a questionable history might be worthwhile. Hope that. answer your question
Old 11-08-2020, 11:22 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

that's a horrible discount. my dealer offered me 6% off for an ordered car. and a second one offered me 5% and i got them up to 5.5%
Old 11-09-2020, 12:39 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

What I mean is that a lot of people make their decision on the expectation that this is a car that they will keep forever. Historically though most people are fickle and sell after 2-4 years. I am one of those. Every car was my forever car and yet I have yet to keep a car beyond warrantee. Most recently I dipped my foot into Porsche world with a 718 which I fell in love with instantly and swore it was my forever car. Fast forward 18 months although I still loved it I pre-traded it for my pending 992. Thankfully I had got a good deal on the way in and unfortunately due to Covid I got a great deal on the way out but it could have meant taking a big loss in the first two years of ownership. If you are that kind of person you need to factor it into your decision making process, It seems with your Boxster you might be a forever person and so you need to factor that into your Purchase as it pertains to a healthy car post warranty expiration and making sure it has everything you need. On the flip side because you might be a forever person paying a little more to avoid the headaches associated with a car with a questionable history might be worthwhile. Hope that. answer your question
if this car turns out to have a questionable history (accident or known to be a lemon by the store), won't issues surface earlier than the post warranty period? agree that paying a bit more to avoid a headache is worth it, except here that might mean $15k-$20k more
Old 11-09-2020, 12:41 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Interesting reply, should I ask.... YOU ASK ANYTHING !
This is business !
The Dealership, this agent, are there to serve your needs, not theirs.
Your timid attitude makes you ripe for people to take advantage of you.
I was going to ask him to find another 992 for me. but I will mention this particular deal, now that you mention it
Old 11-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

I was going to ask him to find another 992 for me. but I will mention this particular deal, now that you mention it
update: spoke with mike this morning. his input:
1) 14% off on a demo is not an extra-exceptional deal, no matter how few miles the car has.
2) get the car cpo'd and make sure you are paying no more than dealer cost for it (indicated that should be around $2k - can folks on this forum confirm?)
3) for peace of mind, get the car pre-purchase inspected (he recommended https://lemonsquad.com/ based on his experience).
4) he can get a decent discount (6-8%) on a 2021, but i will have to wait (not a surprise to anyone on this forum) - what advantages does a 2021 offer over a 2020 that make it worth the wait (likely 3-4 months according to him)?
Old 11-09-2020, 06:29 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

1) 14% off on a demo is not an extra-exceptional deal, no matter how few miles the car has.
2) get the car cpo'd and make sure you are paying no more than dealer cost for it (indicated that should be around $2k - can folks on this forum confirm?)
3) for peace of mind, get the car pre-purchase inspected (he recommended https://lemonsquad.com/ based on his experience).
4) he can get a decent discount (6-8%) on a 2021, but i will have to wait (not a surprise to anyone on this forum) - what advantages does a 2021 offer over a 2020 that make it worth the wait (likely 3-4 months according to him)?
Glad you got Mike's input. In regard to getting a 2021, review the 2021 Porsche Configurator with the 2020 and compare the few upgrades to see if they are worth it to you. Before deciding , review the you tube videos by Nick Murray that goes over in detail ALL the options on the 992. There are parts one and two. I have not seen anything to compare this enlightening information. Then, send him an email with your proposed set up. He does respond to emails. My original build was $171,000.00 . After his input and review, I reduced it to $157,000.00 . I must say I am delighted with my build and don't have regret the options I left behind. Be aware that the 2020 is about 1% to 2% less than the corresponding 2021. That is a typical mark up year to year.
Visit other dealerships, see if you can get test drives in the 992 2S and 4S, and maybe the new GTS, and the Cabriolet. Try the Turbo and Turbo S to see what an additional $60,000.00 buys you. Try the Bose and the Burmeister stereo while driving. Listening in another model or sitting in the parking lot tells you nothing. Does the typical sports car noise make the the Burmeister superfluous ? I think the Bose is fine.
Watch, Harry's Garage, Matt Farah's the Smoking Tire, and other videos about the 992.. BTW, try the Audi and the Mercedes Sports cars. You may like them better, who knows ! Each gives its own unique experience.
In other words...slow down ! Do your homework ! To spend ala $150,000.0 you damn better be pleased as punch (Hubert Humphrey) with your purchase or you will forever curse yourself for your alacrity. You order a car, or get a used one when you are ready, not because of some trumped up (sorry a political statement) opportune time to order imposed by the auto industry. Be patient. Ultimately Porsche does deliver all their orders. Not so with Ferrari !
Alternatively, just say screw it and purchase an 80 inch Oled TV.
The following 2 users liked this post by malibu515:
txpackers (11-10-2020), wasabi4 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Glad you got Mike's input. In regard to getting a 2021, review the 2021 Porsche Configurator with the 2020 and compare the few upgrades to see if they are worth it to you. Before deciding , review the you tube videos by Nick Murray that goes over in detail ALL the options on the 992. There are parts one and two. I have not seen anything to compare this enlightening information. Then, send him an email with your proposed set up. He does respond to emails. My original build was $171,000.00 . After his input and review, I reduced it to $157,000.00 . I must say I am delighted with my build and don't have regret the options I left behind. Be aware that the 2020 is about 1% to 2% less than the corresponding 2021. That is a typical mark up year to year.
Visit other dealerships, see if you can get test drives in the 992 2S and 4S, and maybe the new GTS, and the Cabriolet. Try the Turbo and Turbo S to see what an additional $60,000.00 buys you. Try the Bose and the Burmeister stereo while driving. Listening in another model or sitting in the parking lot tells you nothing. Does the typical sports car noise make the the Burmeister superfluous ? I think the Bose is fine.
Watch, Harry's Garage, Matt Farah's the Smoking Tire, and other videos about the 992.. BTW, try the Audi and the Mercedes Sports cars. You may like them better, who knows ! Each gives its own unique experience.
In other words...slow down ! Do your homework ! To spend ala $150,000.0 you damn better be pleased as punch (Hubert Humphrey) with your purchase or you will forever curse yourself for your alacrity. You order a car, or get a used one when you are ready, not because of some trumped up (sorry a political statement) opportune time to order imposed by the auto industry. Be patient. Ultimately Porsche does deliver all their orders. Not so with Ferrari !
Alternatively, just say screw it and purchase an 80 inch Oled TV.
great input, as always @malibu515

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-09-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:03 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

quick update:
1) getting the car pre-purchase inspected by the highest-rated local independent porsche shop
2) getting the car's exterior/interior inspected by a highly-rated local high-end detailer
3) asked sales rep if i could get get a discount for not fixing the bumper - just a $195 discount offered in return
4) still thinking about the pros/cons of cpo - see https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1222...l#post17015859

Quick Reply: c2s - 2020 options - help me decide!