Sponsored by:

c2s - 2020 options - help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun Rao
folks - while i was catching my breath, i received an offer of 14% off msrp for a 2020 c2s with 170 miles on it. specs below. your inputs much appreciated on spec and pricing.

Great murdered-out spec. 14% off is a nice deal on this. The standard interior is nice enough, and for this low-mileage deal, I might have taken it rather than ordering a car. If you love it, I wouldn’t wait.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:24 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

i have quotes on the following 2020 c2s. some pros/cons on each:

1) 2% discount off msrp on white car (only 0.7% discount on silver car).
2) better specs on silver car (has rear axle steering and power steering plus)
3) silver car has 240 miles on it! (white car has semi-normal new car miles - about 50 miles)

i am leaning towards the silver one because it's the color i prefer and it has things that i need (and doesn't have things i don't need - for example, it doesn't have a sunroof). thoughts on my choice?

should i ask for a bigger discount on the silver given the 240 miles on it? what is the going rate for discounts on a 2020 911 c2s right now?

white exterior and black interior looks fabulous on this car
Old 11-07-2020, 11:46 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

Let us know what you decide and lets get some pictures up if you take it !!!!
Old 11-07-2020, 02:31 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Great murdered-out spec. 14% off is a nice deal on this. The standard interior is nice enough, and for this low-mileage deal, I might have taken it rather than ordering a car. If you love it, I wouldn’t wait.
You've said nothing about the condition of the paint. Have you had a high end mechanic look at it ? No guarentee it hasn't had issues. Where did it come from ? Water damage ? If it is too good to be true, it IS too good to be true !
Old 11-07-2020, 03:48 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
You've said nothing about the condition of the paint. Have you had a high end mechanic look at it ? No guarentee it hasn't had issues. Where did it come from ? Water damage ? If it is too good to be true, it IS too good to be true !
funny you should bring this up :-) i spoke with the store today and got some additional tidbits of information:
1) car has just 17.8 miles on it (sales person missed the "." when sending me the details earlier)
2) car has a gouge in rear bumper - see attached images; "discovered" by sales person when i asked him to take pictures of the car - store has offered to "refinish" bumper (they said replacement would cost $3500 and they couldn't do that at the 14% discount off msrp).

thoughts on what i should do next?

@malibu515 should i have the car inspected by a high-end mechanic (separate from the gouge on the bumper)?

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-07-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

funny you should bring this up :-) i spoke with the store today and got some additional tidbits of information:
1) car has just 17.8 miles on it (sales person missed the "." when sending me the details earlier)
2) car has a gouge in rear bumper - see attached images; "discovered" by sales person when i asked him to take pictures of the car - store has offered to "refinish" bumper (they said replacement would cost $3500 and they couldn't do that at the 14% discount off msrp).

thoughts on what i should do next?

@malibu515 should i have the car inspected by a high-end mechanic (separate from the gouge on the bumper).

that’s so minor...you’d really walk from a good deal because of that? But as always buy the car, not the deal.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:41 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
that’s so minor...you’d really walk from a good deal because of that? But as always buy the car, not the deal.
agreed, probably a pretty minor thing. just want to make sure i make the right decision given it's a $100k+ discretionary purchase

should i get the car inspected by a high-end mechanic (and, perhaps, body shop) just to be safe? or is this being overly cautious. note that the car is fully warranteed .... it is a new car.

some more pics of the car (courtesy of sales person).

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-07-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:11 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Personally with those miles and being new I wouldn't see a need for any sort of inspection. Especially in CA, consumer protection and all that.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:39 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

I will probably move on
I hate dishonesty. I think they discounted it 14 % because of the damage which is minor , but now another manger at the dealership is changing his mind
if it is me
I'll walk unless they do 15 % and fix the damage off the books so it will not show on car fax
fixing the damage is through their insurance so it is not coming out of their pocket
and I will talk directly with GM from now on
Old 11-07-2020, 07:08 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Mechanic !
Old 11-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by pitt911
I will probably move on
I hate dishonesty. I think they discounted it 14 % because of the damage which is minor , but now another manger at the dealership is changing his mind
if it is me
I'll walk unless they do 15 % and fix the damage off the books so it will not show on car fax
fixing the damage is through their insurance so it is not coming out of their pocket
and I will talk directly with GM from now on
@pitt911 can you elaborate on what you mean by "but now another manager at the dealership is chaging their mind"?

great points - re: "fix the damage off the books so it will not show on carfax" and "fixing the damage is through their insurance so it is not coming out of their pocket". thx.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:16 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by malibu515
Mechanic !
a few more items of note to make the discussion more interesting:

1) car is registered as a demo by the dealership; i asked why there were only 20 miles on it; answer i have is that the store has 2 992 demos and the other demo has 1039 miles on it (it's also listed for sale)
2) warranty on this car started on 2/20/2020 (that's the date it was registered as a demo) - so if i buy this car, i would have 39 months (or 50k miles) left on it
3) car arrived at dealership in april 2019 - so the car is effectively 19 months old.

note that this was all disclosed to me up front. only thing not disclosed was the scratch on the bumper.

interested in hearing everyone's thoughts based on this additional information. i must admit that the 14% of msrp on a car with 20 miles is mighty tempting, but i don't want to walk right into a trap either

Last edited by Arun Rao; 11-07-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I suppose my thought is; why haven't they already fixed this scrape/gouge? In my experience, dealers go to extraordinary and costly lengths to make their used car inventory look as close to brand new as possible, to say nothing of a new unit in their inventory. FWIW, what you are actually looking at is the external cosmetic cover for the components that comprise the rear Impact Bumper. Sometimes a moderate yet serious impact can leave rather little in the way of any visual indications to the severity of the damage behind it. But the safety of the vehicle's impact protection may have been compromised. If I were a suspicious person (and I am), I'd want to have an independent inspection of what (if any) damage is behind this. To a potential buyer, the disclosure of something that can't be seen, does far less damage to the selling price, or the ease of finding a buyer, than leaving the defect as is. THAT is what makes me wonder just exactly what happened to this car and why it wasn't immediately repaired.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 11-07-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I suppose my thought is; why haven't they already fixed this scrape/gouge? In my experience, dealers go to extraordinary and costly lengths to make their used car inventory look as close to brand new as possible, to say nothing of a new unit in their inventory. FWIW, what you are actually looking at is the external cosmetic cover for the components that comprise the rear Impact Bumper. Sometimes a moderate yet serious impact can leave rather little in the way of any visual indications to the severity of the damage behind it. But the safety of the vehicle's impact protection may have been compromised. If I were a suspicious person (and I am), I'd want to have an independent inspection of what (if any) damage is behind this. To a potential buyer, the disclosure of something that can't be seen, does far less damage to the selling price, or the ease of finding a buyer, than leaving the defect as is. THAT is what makes me wonder just exactly what happened to this car and why it wasn't immediately repaired.
great point. i will have the car inspected by an independent 3rd party if i decide to pull the trigger on it.

any thoughts on my other concerns?

1) car is registered as a demo by the dealership; i asked why there were only 20 miles on it; answer i have is that the store has 2 992 demos and the other demo has 1039 miles on it (it's also listed for sale)
2) warranty on this car started on 2/20/2020 (that's the date it was registered as a demo) - so if i buy this car, i would have 39 months (or 50k miles) left on it
3) car arrived at dealership in april 2019 - so the car is effectively 19 months old

Old 11-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

First off, it is a car, not a priceless piece of art. 14% off in the current environment and the scratch just means you don't have to stress about putting the first one on it. I would personally be signing the papers right now if I were in your shoes.

BTW a significant portion of the "perfect" cars that get delivered at dealerships have work done at the port after being offloaded from the RORO's. If I remember correctly the manufacturer can do up to 6% of the value of the vehicle in repairs without disclosing the damage and they all have full bodyshops at the ports. That means your brand new 911S could have $9K in body damage repaired at the port without the buyer ever knowing or it being reported. It happens way more often than we would like to think.

I believe that limit also extends to the dealers as well so if you don't buy it someone else will and they will be incredibly happy with their "new" 911 and the great deal they got.

Last edited by Salespunk; 11-07-2020 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (11-08-2020)

Quick Reply: c2s - 2020 options - help me decide!