Sponsored by:

Thoughts on my build please

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
IMO, the stock 992 sits too high and SPASM looks better.
For me, lowering the car .394 inches is nothing dramatic. If you set a PASM and SPASM car next to each other and surveyed people what the difference was between the two, I doubt that anybody on the street would see it. I do like a stiffer ride, so I dial in Sport Plus every time when starting it up for local trips and in the countryside, and on the highway, it’s the softer ride in normal mode. I fought with this when I configured my car and ultimately decided I’d rather have a slightly more compliant car with the ability to dial in the stiffer ride when wanted.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:18 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
For me, lowering the car .394 inches is nothing dramatic. If you set a PASM and SPASM car next to each other and surveyed people what the difference was between the two, I doubt that anybody on the street would see it. I do like a stiffer ride, so I dial in Sport Plus every time when starting it up for local trips and in the countryside, and on the highway, it’s the softer ride in normal mode. I fought with this when I configured my car and ultimately decided I’d rather have a slightly more compliant car with the ability to dial in the stiffer ride when wanted.
I'm a little obsessive about aesthetic stuff like this -- I'm pretty sure 90% of the stuff that bothers me would be completely irrelevant to most people. That's why I suggested OP check it out himself. Everyone is different and he really can't rely on what anyone says when it comes to aesthetics.

It's one reason why I don't like the Nick Murray videos, for instance. He makes these types of choices black or white/right or wrong...and it really doesn't work that way.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:23 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by NI3
I would also like to keep the adapted cruise, but at 2k it is on the chopping block. Going to add full leather and delete all the jazz like the side decals and instruments in red.

Thanks again.
Living were you are the AWD makes perfect sense. People do say though that the active cruise is very good, as a manual car owner I couldn't order it and even though my car is relatively lightly optioned it is one thing I do wish I had now.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

you will not miss a thing by skipping SPASM
Old 11-01-2020, 12:19 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

I’ve got the Adaptive Cruise Control on my 4S and it is fantastic. For extended highway driving , it’s a must have.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Get SPASM.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Drive one with SPASM and then drive one without SPASM. Verify that the tire pressures are within a couple of PSI between the two cars, as that can make a world of difference. Find a less than perfect road and drive it. Only you will be able to decide whether you find SPASM perfect for a sports car or unnecessarily rough for a road car. I've had my share of Corvettes with their Z51 suspension. The Z51 option makes for a nice hobby level track car. But on a day in, day out basis, it can become just a bit to much. I drove both the SPASM and the PASM 911's. Doing so brought back memories for me. Like many of my contemporaries, the older I get the faster I was. FWIW, I went with the PASM suspension on the 911S I ordered.
The following users liked this post:
Vintage72 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 06:04 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Where I live, it is impossible to find any 992's on the lots, let alone one with PASM and one with SPASM as demonstrators. However, I'm thinking like you-- that SPASM is going to grow annoying. With PASM, you always have the option to dial in a firmer ride with Sport and Sport+. Also, I have to believe that Porsche wouldn't build a PASM car that didn't handle beautifully. If I were track oriented, I'd think differently, but for the street, I just have to believe that PASM is more likely to hit the sweet spot.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:17 PM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Where I live, it is impossible to find any 992's on the lots, let alone one with PASM and one with SPASM as demonstrators. However, I'm thinking like you-- that SPASM is going to grow annoying. With PASM, you always have the option to dial in a firmer ride with Sport and Sport+. Also, I have to believe that Porsche wouldn't build a PASM car that didn't handle beautifully. If I were track oriented, I'd think differently, but for the street, I just have to believe that PASM is more likely to hit the sweet spot.
I think I m confused. I see PASM as an option, just not SPASM
Old 11-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by NI3
I think I m confused. I see PASM as an option, just not SPASM
PASM is standard, SPASM is an option included in the sport package.
NI3 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 PM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
PASM is standard, SPASM is an option included in the sport package.
TY. Researching it now.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
As you can see we are all very passionate about our cars and our choices and these questions bring out a lot of emotion. Please remember though that a lot of this is opinion and not fact and as long as you realize this hopefully you will be guided in a helpful way towards your perfect build.

I will say a couple of things. When people ask for build advice I personally assume that they have made the correct decision regarding non S and S engine and 2vs 4 wheel drive. As it pertains to 2 vs 4 there is no doubt that the experts do suggest that the 2 gives a purer 911 experience than the 4. I am not sure that the average driver will note the difference but unless you are truly going to use it as a DD in a snowy area you should evaluate whether a 4 is truly needed.

As it pertains to S vs non S again there emotions here run strong and most will tell you to get the S as it has more power and who does not want more power. In truth the non-S (unfortunately labeled as the base) has plenty of power and more than enough for 90% of us and to some degree more usable power. If you are going PDK, and are not putting in options that cannot be added on the non-S and if you are not tracking you might be happier in the C2 or C4. It will also be easier to get allocations in a C2 and will likely get a better discount as well in many cases. It will also shave a good 15K from your price

Wheels are also very controversial. Some think that the 19/20's do not fill the well as well as the 20/21's and other think the 20/21's look to gaudy. There is no doubt that the 19/20's are more comfortable but with comfort settings many people report no difference in ride quality between the two. 20/21's are by no means rough and at the end of the day it is a sports car and so feeling the road is not always a bad thing.

As far as the 4 way vs 18 way seats I would see if it is possible to spend time in both. Granted I am 5'5" and hate lumbar support but I sat in both the 4 way and 18 way for over 40 mins and found absolutely no difference in the seats at all Since I am the only driver paying 3K for electric seats seemed to be a total waste to me. If I had 18 ways would I choose a slightly different bolster position - hey possibly but the set position of the 4 ways was perfect for me.

Statements like "the PDK is noticeably less involving" are opinions and if you are thinking PDK vs manual there are several threads that cover this but at the end of the day it is an individual decision but manual users often fall into two groups - those who try it and found it less engaging and those that tried it, loved it and never looked back. The latter is a fairly large group and one that I am part of and especially if your DD involves any real traffic the PDK is a great choice and can be absolutely as engaging as you want it to be especially in manual mode.

If indeed a bunch of cars are released on 11/6 there will be a flood of cars arriving in the showrooms and especially if you are lucky enough to live in an area with multiple dealers you will likely find cars with all of these different options especially as it pertains to things like leather, 4, 14 way and 18 way seats. Take the opportunity to visit them, sit in them, even if you do not test drive them no dealer will have an issue with you sitting in a bunch of cars seeing how you feel about the options
This is a fantastic post and about as unbiased of an assessment as you’re going to get. Kudos - this should be pinned.
Wilsontour (11-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my build please