Sponsored by:

992 Road Trip Observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 07:25 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 992 Road Trip Observations

I completed four six-hour plus road trips in the last few days and have a few observations on long-distance driving in the 992 (C2S)
-Adaptive cruise control is excellent. I wouldn’t have ordered it, but it was in my car when I brought it. Any future car will have it. I didn’t use it when I was pushing through interstate traffic, but I used it when I wanted to keep up with the traffic flow. While on the interstate, I set it for 10 MPH over the speed limit and was able to keep up with the traffic flow. When traffic slowed, it automatically adjusted my speed as advertised. Magic!
-Gas mileage is excellent. The car got just over 29 GPH on one stretch of interstate. (Normal mode.) I think using adaptive cruise control helps with mileage.
-Range is good. At one point, I had traveled 100 miles since a fill-up, and my estimated range remaining indicated 460 miles- assuming I stayed on the interstate.
-My car has 18-way vented seats. I was never uncomfortable, as I changed the adjustments every so often and moved my legs around when using adaptive cruise control. I found that snug upper seat-back bolster settings were the most comfortable.
-Have a clear bra on your car- at least the front half of your car and high on the rear wheel flares. The factory standard clear protective coating is too small on the rear fender flare. There are a lot of junk and gravel opportunities on the interstates and back roads.
-If you think you are driving fast, don't worry; a guy in a jacked up pickup truck will soon blow past you.
The following 12 users liked this post by BudFox6:
363ny (10-29-2020), dashanin (10-30-2020), detansinn (10-29-2020), dribar (10-29-2020), Drizz (10-30-2020), iamwingman (10-29-2020), inastrangeland (10-29-2020), mdrobc1213 (11-08-2020), MotoDC (10-30-2020), Russian Mafia (11-01-2020), Tompoodie (11-29-2020), Vintage72 (10-29-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by BudFox6
I completed four six-hour plus road trips in the last few days and have a few observations on long-distance driving in the 992 (C2S)
-Adaptive cruise control is excellent. I wouldn’t have ordered it, but it was in my car when I brought it. Any future car will have it. I didn’t use it when I was pushing through interstate traffic, but I used it when I wanted to keep up with the traffic flow. While on the interstate, I set it for 10 MPH over the speed limit and was able to keep up with the traffic flow. When traffic slowed, it automatically adjusted my speed as advertised. Magic!
-Gas mileage is excellent. The car got just over 29 GPH on one stretch of interstate. (Normal mode.) I think using adaptive cruise control helps with mileage.
-Range is good. At one point, I had traveled 100 miles since a fill-up, and my estimated range remaining indicated 460 miles- assuming I stayed on the interstate.
-My car has 18-way vented seats. I was never uncomfortable, as I changed the adjustments every so often and moved my legs around when using adaptive cruise control. I found that snug upper seat-back bolster settings were the most comfortable.
-Have a clear bra on your car- at least the front half of your car and high on the rear wheel flares. The factory standard clear protective coating is too small on the rear fender flare. There are a lot of junk and gravel opportunities on the interstates and back roads.
-If you think you are driving fast, don't worry; a guy in a jacked up pickup truck will soon blow past you.
The last point for sure! I received my first mark in my PPF on my rear quarter and was thankful it was there to do it’s job.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:22 AM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Good observations.

If you want to save the side of your car just epoxy(3m windshield urethan) some splashguards to the inside of your front fender wells(you can do a search on the 991 GT3/GT3 RS forum for the procedure), no drilling, no screws, it will completely save the side of your car for little money. I make them for all my clients here in the Northeast and I have them on both my RS5 Sportback and GT3RS, most people never even notice I have them.

Yup, jacked up pick-up trucks are all the rage. Cracks me up that some of these guys try and race much faster vehicles on the road in an attempt to prove their manhood.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Here is a link to the thread that covers what I call "Mud Flaps". I have a set of the "Highland Long Life Duraflex 15" X 8 3/4" Splash Guards" that I will install on my C2S as soon as it is in my garage.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...aps-diy-2.html

The attached is a pdf file I assembled from the pictures folks posted in the above link. FWIW the pictures are not in any sort of order.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mud Flap Pictures - 001.pdf (7.65 MB, 131 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:59 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

link to splash guards. Seems like a nice fix for reducing rock chips. Never would have thought of it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...aps-diy-5.html
Old 10-29-2020, 05:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Here is a link to the thread that covers what I call "Mud Flaps". I have a set of the "Highland Long Life Duraflex 15" X 8 3/4" Splash Guards" that I will install on my C2S as soon as it is in my garage.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...aps-diy-2.html

The attached is a pdf file I assembled from the pictures folks posted in the above link. FWIW the pictures are not in any sort of order.
Originally Posted by inastrangeland
link to splash guards. Seems like a nice fix for reducing rock chips. Never would have thought of it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...aps-diy-5.html
Good effective old-world approach, we'd call them mud-flaps too. With the wide hips on these cars makes perfect sense.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:38 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just completed a trip from Houston to Tucson and back in my 992 Carrera S. I generally agree with BudFox6 observations.
One thing not mentioned is the rather severe wind buffeting that can occur when the window(s) are down. You have to open or tilt the sunroof to get it to stop. I know the 991 had the same issue. My friend bought some after-market anti wind buffeting gizmos to solve the problem. I might have to do the same. Otherwise, no complaints. It was a good trip.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought maybe it was the bright Miami Blue but I've never had a car before this 911 where it seems everyone wants to race me or blow past me. I'll just be driving along a back road or the highway at normal speeds doing nothing out of the ordinary and cars or trucks will ride my ***, zoom past me, or floor it off a light to zoom ahead of me. With the exception of a GT2 RS that blew past me the other day (what an amazing sounding car!) it's always a far lesser vehicle trying to prove themselves. I don't engage.

Overall I don't care if people want to "race" me, but I do get nervous when people come up right behind me and ride about a foot off my rear, b/c in the event of a panic stop they're going to rear-end me. Is this a 911 problem in general where everyone else wants to show you what they've got?
Old 10-30-2020, 01:51 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
I thought maybe it was the bright Miami Blue but I've never had a car before this 911 where it seems everyone wants to race me or blow past me. I'll just be driving along a back road or the highway at normal speeds doing nothing out of the ordinary and cars or trucks will ride my ***, zoom past me, or floor it off a light to zoom ahead of me. With the exception of a GT2 RS that blew past me the other day (what an amazing sounding car!) it's always a far lesser vehicle trying to prove themselves. I don't engage.

Overall I don't care if people want to "race" me, but I do get nervous when people come up right behind me and ride about a foot off my rear, b/c in the event of a panic stop they're going to rear-end me. Is this a 911 problem in general where everyone else wants to show you what they've got?
It can be scary stuff, especially considering a good portion of aggressive drivers have limited driving skills.

It's not necessarily a 911 thing, any high-end fancy or eye catching car will have the same effect. Even when I was younger(and with less means) driving a crapbox, I never felt the urge to harass a faster car. I always had admiration and enjoyed watching them go by me.
The following users liked this post:
Drizz (10-30-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:20 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
It can be scary stuff, especially considering a good portion of aggressive drivers have limited driving skills.

It's not necessarily a 911 thing, any high-end fancy or eye catching car will have the same effect. Even when I was younger(and with less means) driving a crapbox, I never felt the urge to harass a faster car. I always had admiration and enjoyed watching them go by me.
i have a 600whp E63s and had everyone and their brother trying to race me. I finally debadged the car and now it looks like an ordinary E class except for the large tires and red AMG brakes. Love the stealth look. But, not gonna happen with my 992 so I guess I’ll just have to ignore it. I have had cars try to race me in a turn only to see them spin out, thankfully they were behind me. I don’t want others to get hurt just because they are being stupid so I usually refrain myself, usually.....
The following users liked this post:
Drizz (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:11 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 135 Posts

Had these on GT3 and 991 GTS, worked great and easy install all for $80

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...oaAq27EALw_wcB

Quick Reply: 992 Road Trip Observations