Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 'whirling' Screen & Music....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:54 PM
Alwade
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 'whirling' Screen & Music....

In June2020 I excitedly took delivery of my new 992! My third 911! Two questions/queries that the forum might be able to help me with
1. Every time I start the car the screen whirls around for 40+ seconds, as per photo! Is this normal? it is driving me mad, I cant believe it!! I took my car back to Porsche several weeks ago for a 'fixup' on this and various other matters (creaks/locks/stopstart/exhaust/homelink/etc) and on this 'whirling' topic I didnt really get a straight answer and it has continued to 'whirl' everyday since pickup, it is due to go back to Porsche next week. Has anyone else had this 40+ second problem? Solution?
2. Music - I just want to get in my brilliant new 992 and listen to my Music...BUT!! I get in and watch the whirling and then see that my iphone10 has connected up (WiFi&Bluetooth), I want my Music from my Spotify account to play.......But 70% of the time I never get connection to my Music/Spotify!! Sometimes it says "Device not supported" as per photo, but when I look at my phone it says it is connected to porsche and playing(!), OR screen might say "No Bluetooth device connected" but phone says it is connected, OR a track shows up on the car screen but no track name is showing so I press the play arrow to listen to whatever the 'anonymous' track is but nothing happens, [sometimes U2 pops up]. When I'm lucky enough to get my Spotify Music I am very happy but the car screen might sometimes say it is playing but no sound, I turn the volume up on the car volume and the phone volume and still no sound, OR sometimes the Music just stops BUT my iphone says it is connected to porsche and that a song is playing...etc etc.. My current solution is I have a portable bluetooth speaker mounted in the cupholder and use this to get reliable music when I cant get it thru the car!! All a big hassle!! As above it is going back to Porsche, can anyone help!?!?!? Thanks

The following users liked this post:
detansinn (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 11:57 PM
R0ut3r
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwade
In June2020 I excitedly took delivery of my new 992! My third 911! Two questions/queries that the forum might be able to help me with
1. Every time I start the car the screen whirls around for 40+ seconds, as per photo! Is this normal? it is driving me mad, I cant believe it!! I took my car back to Porsche several weeks ago for a 'fixup' on this and various other matters (creaks/locks/stopstart/exhaust/homelink/etc) and on this 'whirling' topic I didnt really get a straight answer and it has continued to 'whirl' everyday since pickup, it is due to go back to Porsche next week. Has anyone else had this 40+ second problem? Solution?
2. Music - I just want to get in my brilliant new 992 and listen to my Music...BUT!! I get in and watch the whirling and then see that my iphone10 has connected up (WiFi&Bluetooth), I want my Music from my Spotify account to play.......But 70% of the time I never get connection to my Music/Spotify!! Sometimes it says "Device not supported" as per photo, but when I look at my phone it says it is connected to porsche and playing(!), OR screen might say "No Bluetooth device connected" but phone says it is connected, OR a track shows up on the car screen but no track name is showing so I press the play arrow to listen to whatever the 'anonymous' track is but nothing happens, [sometimes U2 pops up]. When I'm lucky enough to get my Spotify Music I am very happy but the car screen might sometimes say it is playing but no sound, I turn the volume up on the car volume and the phone volume and still no sound, OR sometimes the Music just stops BUT my iphone says it is connected to porsche and that a song is playing...etc etc.. My current solution is I have a portable bluetooth speaker mounted in the cupholder and use this to get reliable music when I cant get it thru the car!! All a big hassle!! As above it is going back to Porsche, can anyone help!?!?!? Thanks

interestingly I got the whirling for the first time today.

going to dealer tomorrow for unrelated issue. Will ask.

FYI, what SW version are you on?

Old 09-22-2020, 11:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

1. Yep, normal. It can take that long or more to boot the PCM. Try unlocking the car as you approach it, that’ll start the load process.
G650 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 01:16 AM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine takes 1 minute of whirling. If you unlock the doors ahead of time it starts to preboot.
G650 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 02:23 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

I experienced ALL your issues, and more on my custom ordered 2020 992S. I bit the bullet for the solution, and could't be happier.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:20 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Wow. 40 seconds to boot the newest PCM? The sheer engineering incompetence boggles the mind.
CliffClavin (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Richard V
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I experienced ALL your issues, and more on my custom ordered 2020 992S. I bit the bullet for the solution, and could't be happier.
---------

Cryptic. What's the solution you found?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:36 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

It starts the process when you unlock the car and sometimes, for no particular reason, it's just ready to go. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I've hopped right into the car after it has sat a few days and the system is ready to go. I've run in/out of a 7-11 and it does a clean startup. One year, more than 12k miles later, the only thing that I have figured out is that unlocked with the door open, it gets a head start.

No big deal. It's totally normal. I just put it in the "character" column.
G650 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:32 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard V
---------

Cryptic. What's the solution you found?
He sold his 992 and bought a 991.2
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
992carreraS (09-24-2020), Noah Fect (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:06 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

The NAV software shown is two updates out of date. The current version ends in 2021.1. Mine just auto updated to that last month. To get the updates automatically you need to select allow auto map updates in NAV settings. This is my second auto update. I happens while driving and you get message on screen MAP UPDATE SUCCESSFUL or similar words.
G650 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

I had a new Cayenne as a loaner the other day -- seems to share this infotainment unit. It worked well enough. I didn't notice a 40s delay when getting going. I can't imagine that is normal.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:04 PM
991RMX
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Issues.

Originally Posted by Alwade

So sorry about your issues. I want to trade in my 991 and order a 992, but now I have cold feet. Scary issues being reported (non functioning locks, complete vehicle lock down due to the alarm or dead battery, engine failure, PDK leaks. I know it is first year, but I thought we were through most of it. Do you mind sharing the build date and other troubles you've had (exhaust, homelink (I assume it doesn't show up), locks, and others)? Thanks, and again, sorry for your issues.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Interesting. I dont have comfort access on my 992 and I dont really feel like I see swirling on that at all. Then again, I also use car play.

Im in a macan loaner right now and I see that swirling all the time!
Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991RMX
So sorry about your issues. I want to trade in my 991 and order a 992, but now I have cold feet. Scary issues being reported (non functioning locks, complete vehicle lock down due to the alarm or dead battery, engine failure, PDK leaks. I know it is first year, but I thought we were through most of it. Do you mind sharing the build date and other troubles you've had (exhaust, homelink (I assume it doesn't show up), locks, and others)? Thanks, and again, sorry for your issues.
The 992 was announced November 2018 and has been in production for nearly 2 years now, it’s well past that ‘first year’ timeframe. Most of the items you list are one off or affect very small numbers of cars, many people are well into several thousand miles of trouble free and enjoyable ownership.

The PCM does have some quirks, this time to boot up being one of them. But don’t feel like its a step backwards at all, plus it can be updated much more easily than the older systems.
The following 3 users liked this post by aggie57:
detansinn (09-23-2020), G650 (09-24-2020), mikey94025 (09-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Help with 'whirling' Screen & Music....