Sponsored by:

Online Software Update (OTA) - Connect Services

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 05:52 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
It appears to be a setting issue. Have the dealer check it out. Have experienced no Porsche server connect issues in a long time. Another thought - you might delete registration and re-register?
Turns out I got out of work today unexpectedly and since I drive y the dealership twice a day, I decided to stop by and have them play with it. They brought out "Mr Juniormint PCM PRO" from the back to tackle my issue. We sat on the car, I showed him everything I had done and showed him picts of what I have seen so far, let him play for a while on the app, the car's ppm, and even the website on the odd chance the car or the app was crap. NOTHING Different than what I had seen or researched so far. He was baffle, and his conclusion was that obviously there is some connection error between the network and the car. Weather the car is not sending signal to the network, the car is not receiving the signal, or something else in between. Go inside baffled only to hear from one of the SA that he has heard the same from several people that have picked up their cars over the last 1-2 weeks. At least I am not making this up or is something obvious. Tells me he was told that they (Porsche) is doing some major upgrade of computer infrastructure (or something similar) and that is the cause. To just give it time. I got home and went on the phone to Porsche Customer service only to basically get the same thing: "I see everything is working in the car, so I don't know why the car is not being recognized on the network so you can use all the Porsche Connect features like remote unlocking blah blah blah. Give it a few days".

May be regional or may be crap. In the end, the damn thing is not working. Serious 1st world problems for sure............
Old 01-06-2021, 06:06 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Turns out I got out of work today unexpectedly and since I drive y the dealership twice a day, I decided to stop by and have them play with it. They brought out "Mr Juniormint PCM PRO" from the back to tackle my issue. We sat on the car, I showed him everything I had done and showed him picts of what I have seen so far, let him play for a while on the app, the car's ppm, and even the website on the odd chance the car or the app was crap. NOTHING Different than what I had seen or researched so far. He was baffle, and his conclusion was that obviously there is some connection error between the network and the car. Weather the car is not sending signal to the network, the car is not receiving the signal, or something else in between. Go inside baffled only to hear from one of the SA that he has heard the same from several people that have picked up their cars over the last 1-2 weeks. At least I am not making this up or is something obvious. Tells me he was told that they (Porsche) is doing some major upgrade of computer infrastructure (or something similar) and that is the cause. To just give it time. I got home and went on the phone to Porsche Customer service only to basically get the same thing: "I see everything is working in the car, so I don't know why the car is not being recognized on the network so you can use all the Porsche Connect features like remote unlocking blah blah blah. Give it a few days".

May be regional or may be crap. In the end, the damn thing is not working. Serious 1st world problems for sure............
I was having issues, unable to get my Porsche ID paired to the car's PCM. "My Porsche unavailable, please try again later" for two weeks. I tried everything including resetting the PCM like 5 times and nothing, then the other day, I logged into My Porsche and it said to activate Remote Access Services which was weird. I knew I had already done it, but whatever, fine. Went to the car, went to remote access and added it, then went to plug in my Porsche ID Pairing Code, and it finally took it. I am guessing that Porsche servers are in fact all over the place right now, and to just give it a little time and it will eventually start working.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
I was having issues, unable to get my Porsche ID paired to the car's PCM. "My Porsche unavailable, please try again later" for two weeks. I tried everything including resetting the PCM like 5 times and nothing, then the other day, I logged into My Porsche and it said to activate Remote Access Services which was weird. I knew I had already done it, but whatever, fine. Went to the car, went to remote access and added it, then went to plug in my Porsche ID Pairing Code, and it finally took it. I am guessing that Porsche servers are in fact all over the place right now, and to just give it a little time and it will eventually start working.
My Porsche was working perfectly for me until about a week ago. Now the data won't properly transfer, features won't work etc. Something's up.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:16 PM
dgasmd
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Well, I feel better then!!
Old 01-11-2021, 05:01 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

After Porsche Connect stable for a fairly long time I got into my 992 yesterday for a drive. No authorized user indicated so I had to re-enter the MY PORSCHE paring code again then re-set choice of auto authorization from key again in settings. Connection was fine two days earlier. Porsche must have done a software update again that required a re-set. Why can't they get this right.? Frustrating that settings change with no owner action.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:10 PM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
After Porsche Connect stable for a fairly long time I got into my 992 yesterday for a drive. No authorized user indicated so I had to re-enter the MY PORSCHE paring code again then re-set choice of auto authorization from key again in settings. Connection was fine two days earlier. Porsche must have done a software update again that required a re-set. Why can't they get this right.? Frustrating that settings change with no owner action.
I used to have the same issue. It was fixed by an update that was recently applied by the dealer. It cannot be applied OTA. It would also drop my instrument cluster brightness settings. I think a lot of car makers are still skittish about shipping OTA updates that could have line of sight to critical driving systems. Were that update channel ever to be compromised it would be an unmitigated disaster for Porsche.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankAT
I think a lot of car makers are still skittish about shipping OTA updates that could have line of sight to critical driving systems. Were that update channel ever to be compromised it would be an unmitigated disaster for Porsche.
If Tesla and Apple can do it, Porsche should be able to secure and protect their OTA update channels. It's expected from today's companies and customers.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:59 PM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
If Tesla and Apple can do it, Porsche should be able to secure and protect their OTA update channels. It's expected from today's companies and customers.
I would say that maybe on this side of the market *some* customers expect it. There's also the issue of the infrastructure that would be needed to host the update packages at global scale and the operational overhead of managing it. I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it is much more of a challenging proposition than some might think. It's much easier for a maker like Tesla who had a greenfield to be technology native from the start (and an inclination to be on the bleeding edge) vs a legacy maker that needs to rearchitect for something that probably doesn't have as much customer demand outside of enthusiasts. Just something that is low on the priority list I would imagine.
The following users liked this post:
dgasmd (01-12-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:25 AM
simaservis1108
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

If the OTA doesn't work there is always an offline method.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:36 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I received an email this morning letting me know they added my 911E to my profile. While I was in the portal to confirm the car. I noticed a cloud update for the 992. I tapped it & it says ‘online software update active’.

I’ve always had the software updates active on my profile. So this is the first time I’ve seen this…

Quick Reply: Online Software Update (OTA) - Connect Services