Throttle House Drag and Roll Races 992 C2S vs Camaro ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 12:34 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozy190
It does make a difference. See below:
Well that answers that lol pretty incredible.

Surprised the numbers are still a mystery with the sport response button.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:05 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

WOW....very interesting indeed!! Only used the SR button once, but will have to experiment with is some.....
Old 09-23-2020, 09:53 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmmmmmm so, I am not sure it had anything to do with the SR button. The first time the GTR was off the line faster and the second time the 911 was first off the line. Arguably it might have had an effect not the gearbox? But I think the start is more about driver response than a button.

I seem to remember then the SR was first introduced Porsche had a little video that explained it was just the gearbox (in auto) and the prepping of the turbos. I also think that in Sports + launch control, it is the same deal, the car knows what you are going and preps the turbos and gear box. Not sure what else the SR button can do?

Last edited by findtom; 09-23-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:44 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by findtom
Hmmmmmm so, I am not sure it had anything to do with the SR button. The first time the GT was off the line faster and the second time the 911 was first off the line. Arguably it might have had an effect not eh gearbox? But I think the start is more about driver response than a button.

I seem to remember then the SR was first introduced Porsche had a little video that explained it was just the gearbox (in auto) and the prepping of the turbos. I also think that in Sports + launch control, it is the same deal, the car knows what you are going and preps the turbos and gear box. Not sure what else the SR button can do?
Overboost is when you increase boost pressure by changing the maximum boost pressure in the boost controller. This directly increase horsepower.

If you watch the video closely, you''ll see that the first run, the Porsche was not keeping up with the GTR during the drag race. Watching the second run, the Porsche was clearly pulling on the GTR for the entire race. The start had nothing to do with it. Trap speed is also an indicator of HP and the Porsche definitely had a higher trap speed on the second two runs.

This is easy to test. Lay out a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. Record your trap speed at the end of it without SR button. Do the same with the SR button and compare trap speeds.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Overboost is when you increase boost pressure by changing the maximum boost pressure in the boost controller. This directly increase horsepower.

If you watch the video closely, you''ll see that the first run, the Porsche was not keeping up with the GTR during the drag race. Watching the second run, the Porsche was clearly pulling on the GTR for the entire race. The start had nothing to do with it. Trap speed is also an indicator of HP and the Porsche definitely had a higher trap speed on the second two runs.

This is easy to test. Lay out a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. Record your trap speed at the end of it without SR button. Do the same with the SR button and compare trap speeds.
I'm sure Overboost is an increase in boost pressure, but I don't recall seeing anywhere in the manual/literature that the SR button did that. I'm not saying I am right, (not at all), but I don't recall Porsche ever saying it overboots the engine. Where are you getting your info from please?

"Watching the second run, the Porsche was clearly pulling on the GTR for the entire race." I would put that down to the better start and the PDK maybe changing quicker? Again, I don't know but it is possible that the PDK with SR is a bit faster and it changes gear faster than the GTR?

I am genuinely interested in knowing the truth

Last edited by findtom; 09-23-2020 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheStanman (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 01:14 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Same - very interested. Hard to believe Porsche wouldn't mention anywhere that SR increases horsepower/torque (unless I'm missing it). Someone should test next time they're on a dyno.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:29 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

I'm sure Overboost is an increase in boost pressure, but I don't recall seeing anywhere in the manual/literature that the SR button did that. I'm not saying I am right, (not at all), but I don't recall Porsche ever saying it overboots the engine. Where are you getting your info from please?

"Watching the second run, the Porsche was clearly pulling on the GTR for the entire race." I would put that down to the better start and the PDK maybe changing quicker? Again, I don't know but it is possible that the PDK with SR is a bit faster and it changes gear faster than the GTR?

Changing gears quicker does not affect trap speed. It also does not affect the way the Porsche pulls on the GTR from run 1 to 2. Getting a better start does not make the car increase trap speed, it just lowers the ET.

The only way the Porsche can pull on the GTR is with more HP, not quicker shifts. Just pure physics. I have done a lot of drag racing and this is pretty common knowledge.

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-9...kage-features/

New features on the 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo and Turbo S include a Sport Mode for the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) electronics, which is said to have a higher threshold for enthusiastic driving before the stability control intervenes. A new Sport Response button, part of the Sport Chrono package, adjusts the engine configuration "for the best possible responsiveness" by putting it into an overboost mode for 20 seconds.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...en-more-power/
Old 09-23-2020, 01:37 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

If you read between the lines in the Porsche description of sport response, it include the engine and says it unleashes the power for a period of 20 seconds. The time limit has nothing to do with the PDK. It's all about the boost pressure which Porsche wants to limit the increase in boost to 20 seconds.

The third function: activated via the Sport Response button in the center of the mode switch. The engine and transmission are then primed for the fastest possible unleashing of power. The result: maximum responsiveness – for a period of approximately 20 seconds.

Bottom line here. If you don't think it increases horsepower, just follow the steps in my previous post. The numbers will tell you if there is more horsepower.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:18 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Last July, a Porsche news release said that the Turbo is 'now without an overboost time limit'. See https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ere-21499.html. Overboost goes back to the 997 Turbo and I have no doubt it's made it's way other models.
smiles11 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:47 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Last July, a Porsche news release said that the Turbo is 'now without an overboost time limit'. See https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ere-21499.html. Overboost goes back to the 997 Turbo and I have no doubt it's made it's way other models.
My 991.1 turbo doesn't have a Sport Response button, but boost increases when I put the car in Sport mode.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Im ready for a quick demo for those races if someone in SoCal has a 992s.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:55 AM
TheStanman
Racer

The 992 Turbo no longer has an overboost function - link. That was part of the changes vs 991.
The new Turbo S does not require overboost conditions; it's full-boogie full-time.

Regardless, this thread is about the Carrera. Does Porsche ever mention overboost function for 992 Carrera?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Ozy190
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
The 992 Turbo no longer has an overboost function - link. That was part of the changes vs 991.
The new Turbo S does not require overboost conditions; it's full-boogie full-time.

Regardless, this thread is about the Carrera. Does Porsche ever mention overboost function for 992 Carrera?
There is the sport response button, which has the same terminology/appears to act as the button on the 991 Turbo / Turbo S.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Originally Posted by Ozy190
There is the sport response button, which has the same terminology/appears to act as the button on the 991 Turbo / Turbo S.
Yeah but Porsche's description of the SR button is:

The SPORT Response button prepares the engine and transmission for a fast unleashing of power for approx. 20 seconds of maximum responsiveness.

Nothing about overboost that increases power..
Old 09-24-2020, 11:10 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

We can stop all the debates and guessing if someone will put a boost gauge on their car. Simple way to end the endless discussion.
BC (09-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Throttle House Drag and Roll Races 992 C2S vs Camaro ZL1