Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 is not a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Keith Morgan
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

You get the same stuff everywhere. The old-school curmudgeons can't adapt to change.

I bought a C7Z corvette, and had to listen to them tell me it wasn't a "real corvette" because it didn't have round taillights. They must be losing their minds about the mid-engine.

If we take this mindset to the extreme, the only real Porsche is a 356, and everything else is just bloatware.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keith Morgan:
dhirm5 (09-11-2020), dj997 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 04:30 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

OP: You're clearly conflicted, but it's not clear what you are really after - just the implication that the 992 isn't providing that "something". What do you want the car to provide so that you get that enjoyment? Is a front-engine or mid-engine "sports car" what you prefer? Or is a so-called "GT car" not what you want? Is a lightweight tossable what you want? Maybe it's nostalgia that's got you longing to recreate a prior experience? I have a front-engined V12 F-car that was to some extent positioned as a GT car (maybe just relative to their mid-engined models) and even purported to be usable as a daily-driver - it's actually so raw and brutal that I can't understand how anyone could honestly make either claim. In contrast, the 911 actually ticks those boxes - brutal when you want it to be but at the same time usable every day in stop-n-go traffic. To me the 911 is a "do everything" car. What is your 911 failing to provide?
The following 3 users liked this post by digits:
AlexCeres (09-11-2020), mohawk5010 (09-26-2020), tcirillo (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

@tcrillo, I think I can sympathize with your position. I think we (as individuals) have inherent perceptions of what the next generation of a car that we love should be. I think expectations, and failure to meet these expectations is what leads to disappointment.

I actually think that there is too much choice (which should be a good thing). I also think the Cayman/Boxster platform would have been an ideal evolutionary platform progression of the 911. The 'problem' is that most of us (me included) would never accept it. The iconic shape and engine being placed in the wrong location is what makes the 911 unique. Thus Porsche has accommodated our wishes by using technology to mitigate the inherent weaknesses of rear engine design, and the 991 and now 992 are the natural progression that technology allows (which includes meeting EPA requirements for more fuel efficient cars).

These cars are better in every way, but perhaps the problem is that nostalgia gets in the way, and thus disappoints some of us. Personally, I think (I am biased of course) the 991.2 GT3 MT is the closest one can get to that nostalgia (transmission, rawness, NA engine) provide modern day comforts (Bluetooth, A/C, decent radio etc), and yet be superior in performance to previous generations in every way. The GT3 probably has become 'too tame' compared to previous generations, but I think that is why the popularity has increased because it is drivable by less skilled drivers like myself.

I think that is why the GT3 touring with 'sofa's' is hard to find because it probably reflects the 'spirit' of prior 911 generations the best.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
i had the same thought recently, ie, would a manual have helped, and perhaps yes. but at this stage in my life, and with the environment being what it is, and the brilliance of the pdk...well, it's pdk all the way. i get your points about pushing the limit. isn't it wonderful to be able to wonder about what the future holds!

and, thank you for your kind thoughts about the rudeness of the other post(er). sad. anyway, there are lot's of thoughful folks here too
I'm all for internet courtesy. However, given your choice of thread title, I'm not surprised at the responses you received that you consider rude.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Farmlyf
Instructor

Received 196 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach

Also, I have to say that the level of rudeness you received is unacceptable. I'm seeing more and more of this on rennlist.
Stealth/Smiles....your paid members... This is not FB, Twitter or ???? Calling people idiots or saying that the thread is closed....it's not helpful.
I back that. There are just so many people on here that are pure sad trolls. OP has asked an honest question from his POV. Not everyone has to agree and share the same point of view, he’s calling out for constructive input and similar experiences...Don’t care if this gets deleted, it needs to be laid out...just pure WA#@£ERS some people.
The following 3 users liked this post by Farmlyf:
Jimmyk79 (09-20-2020), JRoach (09-12-2020), TheStanman (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

I agree with Deven. Having both a Carrera (991.1 GTS cab) and a GT3 Touring, I think perhaps the GT3 Touring might be the right car for your needs, if you can do away with the drop-top driving experience.

To me, the GTS is a perfect blend of sportiness and comfort. But compared to the GT3, no doubt it errs on comfort over sportiness (and from all I have read, this may be even more the case with the 992 generation). That is not to say the Carrera cannot be very sporty. My GTS really rips when I put the car in sport or sport plus with the PSE on and in manual mode. But it is easy to make the car a docile grand tourer with the touch of a few buttons.

That is not the case with the GT3. You get in that car and you know the car means business. The normal chassis in the GT3 is just a little bit stiffer than the sport chassis setting in the GTS. But you can't turn the GT3 "off" like you can do with the Carrera. It is always in beast mode, even though it can (in my opinion) easily be daily driven. I have been daily driving my Touring for the last couple of months and I have been loving it.

The GT3 does remind me of an air-cooled 911 in the overall driving experience, but with creature comforts such as good AC, Apple CarPlay, etc. I really like this about the GT3 Touring. It is a new car with an old soul.

The take home point is that the Carrera has, over the years, become more "comfortable" with its nannies, interior accouterments, etc. But it maintains its sporty, racing DNA. The GT3, on the other hand, is more like an old-school 911. It's drive is more "punishing," but in a good way if you are looking for a more intense driving experience at all times, not just some of the time. Perhaps you should trade in the cab and get a manual 991.2 GT3 or get a 992 GT3. I think you would be pleased. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I'd guess that comparing any current model car to any of its predecessors might be similar to a baseball hat I have that says "The Older I Get The Faster I Was". Much of what appeals to me about cars I've owned in the past are the memories I have of my feelings and the experiences I had at that time. If I wanted that '67 911S again, I'm fairly certain I could probably own a pristine example for less than what I paid for my 992. But they are, in the end, very different cars. Those older 911's were not perfect. I seem to recall: rust, rubbery shifting, poor heating, no air conditioning, temperamental 48IDA carburetors, failed cam chain tensioners that often sounded like a bad connecting rod, etc., etc. If I went back to any of my 356's I'd need to recall 6 volt electrics, leaking flywheel seals and the replacement of king and link pin front suspension bits every 20 to 30 thousand miles to say nothing of the 356's swing axle rear suspension and the relative ease which either car would swap ends if a turn wasn't taken with some serious forethought.

I relish the memories I hold with all (not just Porsche's) of the cars and motorcycles I've owned over the years. However, I still have an old Triumph Bonneville any time I need a quick refresher course on the pluses, as well as the minuses of the past. I am reminded there are as many of the former as there are of the later within a few hours or miles.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
rk-d (09-12-2020), spyd (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 PM
AlwaysBlu
6th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default 992 better than a 993?

Originally Posted by tcirillo
i'm a long-time porsche owner. this is my 4th 911. i have had many ferrari's, and many cars. i race a SRF in SCCA for 20 years. That's my background.

with each succeeding generation of 911, i've listened to the complaints of the purists about how it has departed from its original design ethic. i've always been on the side of progress, over religion. and i've enjoyed the generational improvements.

i understand what porsche has tried to accomplish with the 992 (i have a C2S Cabrio) and after 9 months of ownership, i'm left confused. i find i'm not enjoying this 8th generation as much as any other, and i've asked why. and how to adapt, because it was a considerable commitment.

i'm curious of others, who have my type of background and experience, are having the same conflict.

all that has been said about the 992 is true. it's heavy, big, more comfortable, less edgy, more refined...i could go on, but you get the idea. it's porsche's interpretation of a GT car on a 911 platform. and i think that that is the root of my dilemma. i need to stop thinking of this as a 911, and instead think of it as a GT car. but when i do, i find myself conflicted there as well. maybe i've come to think of a GT car as a front-engined, rear drive, moderately sporty luxury experience? not a mid or rear engine, tight platform, semi-sports car?

i don't know. i want very much to be in love with this car. i had intended to keep it a long time. but doing so means resolving this conflict.

my best idea is to re-think it entirely, and approach it not as a 911, but as porsche's currrent interpretation of a semi-GT, which happens to be based on a 911 platform?

i wonder what others think. i'm not trying to re-open the age old debate about the evolution of the 911. instead, have others had this very experience, and how have they dealt with it/ dont' get me wrong: the 992 is brilliant in it's own way, but 'in it's own way' seems to be the key.

what say ye?
I am on my 5rth 911. my first one was a 75 911s. I bought it new for 12k. I loved the car and drove every weekend from Long Island to the mountains of Vermont: 600 miles every week end. No AC, no power this and that; 25k miles in one year. I was 35 at the time and thought 157 HP was fast; a guess it was, as I often made the 300 the mile trip in just over 4 hours while my wife sat next to me knitting. Now 45 or so years later (I'm 80 now) I have a new 992 with 3 times the HP and too much power every thing. And some how it's not as much fun. I've had 58 cars in those years , most them special interest cars. And I've decided that cars, like people, have a personality and you like them or you don't, and you don't always know why. Maybe they were bad cars (or bad people), but you liked them or you didn't. The 992 is, but any real measure, is a better car by far then my old 75 911s, but somehow not as much fun. But then my again wife says at 80 years old, I'm not as much fun now either.
th
The following 10 users liked this post by AlwaysBlu:
540gone (09-12-2020), Blue911Heaven (09-12-2020), mohawk5010 (09-26-2020), Overdraft (09-13-2020), paddlefoot64 (09-12-2020), Ranger520 (09-12-2020), rumnyc (09-12-2020), SpiderG (09-29-2020), xtremetuning (11-30-2020), Zoefhaus (09-14-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:07 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysBlu
But then my wife says at 80 years old, I'm not as much fun now either.
I tell my wife, it's just a phase I'm going through. When I get older, I'll probably grow out of it!
paddlefoot64 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Having had a few Brit sports cars, there is a lot to be said for small, nimble sports cars. They are analog and require more involvement. Perhaps you should take a look at a Boxster GTS 4.0?
Old 09-12-2020, 06:54 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I'd guess that comparing any current model car to any of its predecessors might be similar to a baseball hat I have that says "The Older I Get The Faster I Was". Much of what appeals to me about cars I've owned in the past are the memories I have of my feelings and the experiences I had at that time. If I wanted that '67 911S again, I'm fairly certain I could probably own a pristine example for less than what I paid for my 992. But they are, in the end, very different cars. Those older 911's were not perfect. I seem to recall: rust, rubbery shifting, poor heating, no air conditioning, temperamental 48IDA carburetors, failed cam chain tensioners that often sounded like a bad connecting rod, etc., etc. If I went back to any of my 356's I'd need to recall 6 volt electrics, leaking flywheel seals and the replacement of king and link pin front suspension bits every 20 to 30 thousand miles to say nothing of the 356's swing axle rear suspension and the relative ease which either car would swap ends if a turn wasn't taken with some serious forethought.

I relish the memories I hold with all (not just Porsche's) of the cars and motorcycles I've owned over the years. However, I still have an old Triumph Bonneville any time I need a quick refresher course on the pluses, as well as the minuses of the past. I am reminded there are as many of the former as there are of the later within a few hours or miles.
Very nicely restored bike. I wish I still had my ‘72 Norton Commando Roadster, but would undoubtedly be very disappointed compared to my modern bikes. 65 HP seemed like a lot back in the day!

Last edited by HouTexCarreraS; 09-14-2020 at 01:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HouTexCarreraS:
Bluehighways (09-12-2020), markchristenson (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 07:12 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
...Only an idiot would buy a cabriolet as a sports car. A cabriolet is a GT car.....
Never have understood this mindset. A Miata isn't a sports car? An S2000 isn't a sports car? A Boxster isn't a sports car?

Sure, they all are. A cab 911 is too, even though it has back seats.

I guess it's rooted in:

1) the sports-purpose air-cooled 911s were slick tops +
2) seeing certain convertibles that lean more towards luxury than sport (Mercedes, are you listening...) =
3) a cab 911 must not be a sports car (I guess?)

In any event, it's way too extreme a generalization.

Last edited by RSflared72e; 09-12-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Noah Fect (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 07:48 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by RSflared72e
Never have understood this mindset. A Miata isn't a sports car? An S2000 isn't a sports car? A Boxster isn't a sports car?

Sure, they all are. A cab 911 is too, even though it has back seats.

I guess it's rooted in:

1) the sports-purpose air-cooled 911s were slick tops +
2) seeing certain convertibles that lean more towards luxury than sport (Mercedes, are you listening...) =
3) a cab 911 must not be a sports car (I guess?)

In any event, it's way too extreme a generalization.
Cars designed from the ground up as a small, lightweight two seater roadster are different.

Cabriolets designed from coupes end up being heavier, less stiff, worse performing versions of the original car. And that's ok, IMO. You are trading off 9/10 performance for an open top. Still, you can argue those compromises make it less of a sports car.

Normally not a big deal, but if someone is saying an entire model - ie the 992 - is a cushy GT car based on their experience with the Cab version, then I don't think that judgment is on the level.
Marantz2270 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:41 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I've owned a few cars, mostly mid-stream models, several street motorcycles, and a Miata.

January '19, I picked up my ordered 991.2 C4S slicktop, 7M and Sport Package. I have had a wonderful time with it, on the Interstate, the twisties in North Carolina and everyday driving in Central Florida.

Feels very much a sports car, tractable and pulls like a train on WOT, plus decent mileage, 20s in town, 29+ highway. The a/c works, seats are comfortable and the ride doesn't punish (keep mine on Sport 99% of the time).

Am I supposed to not call it a sports car because it isn't as "connected" as a so-called "true sports car"? Connected is a subjective term here, as in wind, sound, ride and other elements, it's a personal evaluation.

Haven't driven the older 911s except for very brief moments but I have driven the Cayman/Boxster 4cyl, 991.2 GTS, 991.2 Turbo and the 992 Carrera S on track and shorter driving exercises at the PTX, over several days on separate occasions. I'll be there for 4 more days next month.

Can honestly say that all of the above were/are sports cars. The only one that maybe was close to the outside of the sports car envelope was the Turbo (heavier because of AWD), it's a beast, but the 992 Carrera S could hound it through the Barber course due to its faster corner speeds.

No Cabriolets at the track, so can't speak to their behavior there, but they could be affected by the extra weight.

This topic has generated similar threads recently and the common denominator seems to be "what do you like and how do you feel about it". This leaves the discussion wide open and overall agreement may not be possible. We do love to discuss though, just don't get personal.

As to the OP, let the car grow on you, if not, dump it, life is too short. Find what you want.

Last edited by BSO; 09-12-2020 at 08:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BSO:
markchristenson (09-12-2020), tcirillo (09-13-2020), TheStanman (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Not new to the 992. When I first test drove a 991.2, I thought - it’s a much better car, but not a better 911. IMO, the 991.1 was the last car remotely resembling what made the 911 great. Now the Carrera is a different, better performing car in the shape of a 911.

Quick Reply: 992 is not a 911?