Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Leather Interior Upgraded for MY21 (according to the configurator)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020 | 09:16 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

From: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Default Full Leather Interior Upgraded for MY21 (according to the configurator)?

This evening, once again I was browsing through the configurator(s), (as if there wasn't something more sensible to do), and happened to notice that the contents (and perhaps wording as well) for some of the items included in the Leather Interior had changed (UK, AU, DE configurators at least, the U.S. incidentally not even though U.S. cars probably affected too). It now states that also the centre console side sections would be covered in smooth leather, whereas all the cars that I've seen (or felt) so far, have had some plasticky material there instead. Can people with model year 2021 cars (when available) confirm, whether their centre console (or front centre tunnel) sides are indeed wrapped in proper leather or not? Or does someone have more information about this potential upgrade?

Previously, I have not seen any option that would allow to have this part covered in leather (neither was it mentioned in the Leather Interior contents). Such a shame, as I haven't been able see any reason why this section in particular has been left out from the "Full Leather" package with otherwise ample coverage. Or is it anymore? (I know, it must a big thing for many people.)

The configurator(s) now also mention(s) that the Seat Base (or Seat Floor/Bottom, depending on the translation from German) would be covered in smooth leather. I don't think this one was there before either. Anybody knows what it refers to?

Pictures attached (from the UK, AU and DE configurators). Am I losing my marbles altogether or has something really changed?

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 09-07-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2020 | 12:04 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I just checked my 2021 USA 2CS build (PMMWSZC1) which I optioned with the "Leather Interior in Slate Grey" in addition to the 18 Way "Sport Seats Plus"

I believe that what you're referring to is the "Center tunnel knee pads" as listed below which I've highlighted in the attached picture.

My configuration option of "Leather Interior in Slate Grey" lists the following:

Includes in Smooth-Finish Leather:
* Front seats
* Rear seats
* Steering wheel rim
* Steering wheel airbag module
* Door panel armrests
* Center console lid
* Upper section of the dashboard
* Lower section of the dashboard
* Glove compartment
* Center tunnel knee pads
* Upper section of the door panels
* Center section of the door panels
* Rear side panels

Now in addition to the above, I also selected: "Interior Trim Inlays in Leather" which adds:
* Dashboard, door panel, and center console trim in Light Silver
* Dashboard inlay in Leather
* Door panel inlays in Leather
* Center console inlay in Leather
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-08-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2020 | 12:37 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Yeah pretty sure those are the knee pads
Old 09-08-2020 | 04:52 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

From: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.

Thanks for chiming in, guys. Agree, I checked that in the U.S. configurator the contents of the Leather Interior with regard to that section are different at the moment. However, in those other configurators mentioned earlier, at least in the German and the UK versions, I am pretty sure that the knee pads were mentioned separately before, exactly as they are in the U.S. configurator atm. It makes no sense that they would have changed the wording like this, unless there were some actual changes in the leather coverage. Definitely, the centre console sides were not mentioned there before, the way they are know. There's even a screenshot here in the forums from a UK member of the old version of the configurator (namely the UK version I presume) mentioning knee pads, not centre console sides. Here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1198...l#post16692332

So, they must have changed it for a reason. To continue to speculate: if it were still that just the knee pads were in leather, why on earth would they not call them explicitly "knee pads" anymore but instead "centre console side sections". The only logical explanation is that the leather coverage has been expanded to cover the entire side of the console plus knee pads, and there's no reason to distinguish the knee pads as a separate section anymore.

The mystery continues...

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 09-08-2020 at 05:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BND (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020 | 08:33 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Knee pads in my June 2019 build are leather with my full black leather interior with chalk deviated stitching.

Quick Reply: Full Leather Interior Upgraded for MY21 (according to the configurator)?