Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Leather Interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020 | 02:54 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Default Full Leather Interior

I'm working on a C2S configuration and have been lurking on the forum for some time. This will be both my first custom ordered 911 (I'm had a Carrera Targa for almost 20 years) and my last car, so i want to get it as perfectly configured as possible. In my research within this forum, i'f seen rrom time to time in various threads the term “full leather” used in the context of ordering or equipment or options and I’m confused by the terminology as on the configurator, there’s not a corresponding option with the name “full leather”.

There’s the upgrade from “Standard Interior/Leather Seat Centers” to “Leather Interior/Leather Seats” in the Interior Colors and Seats section.

There’s also a separate section titled “Interior Leather” further down with various items. Does the term “full leather” when used in the threads mean not only is the vehicle optioned with Leather Interior/Leather Seats but also with the 930 Leather Package, Interior Trim Inlays in Leather, Extended Exclusive Manufaktur Leather Interior, Extended Heritage Design Leather Package, Personalized Air Vent Surround and Air Vent Slats in Leather, Interior Mirror in Leather, Fuse Box Covers in Leather, Steering Colum Casing in Leather, Sun Visors in Leather, Inner Door Sill Guards in Leather, Seat Backs in Leather (depending on which seats are specified), and Extended Door Trim in Leather.

Obviously, this would meet the definition of ‘full leather” but at a cost of slightly over $22k I doubt that’s what’s meant by the term, so what does “full leather” in these threads actually mean by the various posters?

Thanks All.

Karl
Old 06-10-2020 | 03:03 PM
swagon
Instructor

Originally Posted by svkarl
I'm working on a C2S configuration and have been lurking on the forum for some time. This will be both my first custom ordered 911 (I'm had a Carrera Targa for almost 20 years) and my last car, so i want to get it as perfectly configured as possible. In my research within this forum, i'f seen rrom time to time in various threads the term “full leather” used in the context of ordering or equipment or options and I’m confused by the terminology as on the configurator, there’s not a corresponding option with the name “full leather”.

There’s the upgrade from “Standard Interior/Leather Seat Centers” to “Leather Interior/Leather Seats” in the Interior Colors and Seats section.

There’s also a separate section titled “Interior Leather” further down with various items. Does the term “full leather” when used in the threads mean not only is the vehicle optioned with Leather Interior/Leather Seats but also with the 930 Leather Package, Interior Trim Inlays in Leather, Extended Exclusive Manufaktur Leather Interior, Extended Heritage Design Leather Package, Personalized Air Vent Surround and Air Vent Slats in Leather, Interior Mirror in Leather, Fuse Box Covers in Leather, Steering Colum Casing in Leather, Sun Visors in Leather, Inner Door Sill Guards in Leather, Seat Backs in Leather (depending on which seats are specified), and Extended Door Trim in Leather.

Obviously, this would meet the definition of ‘full leather” but at a cost of slightly over $22k I doubt that’s what’s meant by the term, so what does “full leather” in these threads actually mean by the various posters?

Thanks All.

Karl
Have you even looked in the configurator properly? Every option there has got a little "i" next to it which brings up a window with additional information. There you can find what each interior options features, see below. Full leather is usually referred to the one in the 2nd screenshot, i.e. leather dashboard, upper doorcards, etc. Some interiors with fabric or Alcantara seats h also feature "full leather" dashboards. You can then also pay for additional interior items covered in leather. 930 leather pack is 22k because it's got special corduroy seat inserts n stuff.

Old 06-10-2020 | 03:12 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks All.

Karl
Folks are typically referring to the Leather Interior options when they're talking "full leather". It's totally worth it and elevates the quality of the interior surfaces substantially -- you get a leather-wrapped dash, center tunnel and other details. Yes, you can go well beyond that with your $22k scenario, but as options go, the leather interior is almost a no-brainer considering that it improves the experience where you spend your time, ie. in the car.
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (06-14-2020)
Old 06-10-2020 | 03:20 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

In MY opinion... unless you are looking to build a stripped down track car, Full Leather is a must...

It is very impactful to the feel of the car.
slwong23 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020 | 04:34 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

I bought my car off the lot and it doesn't have full leather. But it does have an all black interior and I don't think it looks too bad. I think that might be the only setup where partial leather looks ok. But if I were to spec a car, I would get full leather. And it really shouldn't even be an option on a car that costs this much. Full leather should be standard.
The following 3 users liked this post by AKSteve:
dchang81 (06-18-2020), detansinn (06-10-2020), jfr0317 (06-14-2020)
Old 06-10-2020 | 04:46 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

"Full" leather typically means one of the packages that puts leather on the dash and door cards, as well as full seating surfaces. There are additional packages that add hide to other areas, effectively allowing a buyer to trim almost all interior components in leather.
How much leather - like color - is a personal choice: some like none, some like a lot. I'm in the camp that thinks synthetic materials are MUCH preferable to leather, and that no leather on dash and door cards (the stock interior) in a 992 looks great.
Old 06-10-2020 | 04:54 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Actually the original question is one I have, as I own a new 992, and did not order it, nor did I my last 3-4 911s. Outside of club leather option, is my standard leather seats of lesser quality than the other leather (I know club is different, and I know sport-tex and race=tex is different) but is the leather in the second leather selection on the configurator (just below standard) - better or different leather on the seats?
Old 06-10-2020 | 05:07 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

I have the base leather... seating surfaces are the only part that is leather...

My position is different: Someone once said that after five years only one still looks like leather... and it is not the leather choice-

I wanted to limit the cost of the car and when I am driving, which is part of the reason for ownership, I can't tell the difference- its
is very high quality.... and while it may not be as absorbent of moisture as leather, I have a tendency to wear clothes when I drive...
Old 06-10-2020 | 06:39 PM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have "even looked at the configurator". Can you be more snotty?
The following 2 users liked this post by svkarl:
dchang81 (06-18-2020), tomingrassia (08-22-2021)
Old 06-10-2020 | 06:52 PM
Jerry991
Pro

You have to be careful when ordering beyond the "full leather" interior. This can be a problem if you upgrade to full leather in two tone where you have deviated stitching. I have a 991 GTS in Espresso/Cognac which is an upgrade above full leather and it really looks and smells great. Where you run into problems is for example that my car was ordered with steering column casing in leather but failed to order it in deviated stitching which to me would look better with the light stitching on the dark leather but I didn't order it. Another thing that happened in mine is that the sun visors were ordered in alcantara but they only make them in black so while they feel good they didn't look right to me - I got new ones in espresso brown leather. When you start getting more particular parts in leather you might get leather around the sports Chrono watch but again, deviated stitching is critical. Seat backs in leather are really nice if you like a luxury feel to the car as opposed to a sporting feel. This is where you need a really well informed advisor to help you with your order and don't try to rush through it.
Old 06-10-2020 | 06:52 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

An option people will love when they spec it, and also be loved by those that do not spec it. You can't go wrong.

IMO, with the price we're paying. I think the full leather makes the car look as expensive as what we pay for it.
42LottSC (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020 | 08:42 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I have "even looked at the configurator". Can you be more snotty?
Do you even lift, bro?
Old 06-10-2020 | 09:05 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Slightly different, but still relevant to this thread - I had the standard black interior in my Cayenne, went with full black leather in my Macan Turbo and quickly realized what I had been missing and why everyone who had the full leather say that's the only way to go. Owned my Macan Turbo for 6 years and the leather held up extremely well - I probably neglected it compared to most. I don't believe the leathers are different between the partial and full leather options, it's just the areas that are covered like others have said (full seats, doors, dash). Like all options, this is highly subjective and personal, but I won't own another Porsche without full leather.
Old 06-10-2020 | 09:49 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I don't even remember what the upgrade cost me. All I know is I'm glad to have it.

I doubt you'll be thinking, 6 months from now, "I'm glad I saved $X dollars not getting the nicer interior." Doesn't usually work that way.

Nothing wrong with the standard interior. The leather/sport-tex interior is just nicer. Bottom line.

smiles11 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020 | 09:50 PM
Dyim
Drifting

I would definitely go for full leather to get it on the upper dash and upper door trim.

If you go all out and get extended leather around the clock, speaker and vent, watch out for reflection of the deviated stitching on the windshield.

Quick Reply: Full Leather Interior