Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over a year on the road and no major software fixes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 10:20 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
CarPlay/Android Auto were the first pass at a big fix.
The Polestar 2 shows us where this is going by having a full Google OS -- they handed over development to Google.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYFNMyJXFo
I immediately notice too much screen and not enough buttons. Sticking climate controls behind a touch screen is only going to be useful for one purpose. It will break my wife's habit of over riding the auto climate control every time she enters the vehicle. This is the direction you take a vehicle when you are designing in disposability. This is built to lease...not built to last.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:47 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Back in the 60s it was plastic (see the famous movie) now the future is microfiber cloths. Two days in and you won't see the screen for the smears. As to subcontracting it to Google or Apple, means the techs in the service dept. will have no further clue when something occurs and your car will be in the shop for days. My Macan had an erratic lighting issue where (depending one what position the light switch was in and the amount of daylight) it would strobe like a police car (the sensor was fine). Dealer didn't know (and yes though I had modified the electronics extensively via x431 those were done months before) having run the usual tests, so they escalated it up the chain until finally they told them to reload the software.

At that point I asked them if the software version they loaded was different from the one previously resident. They said P doesn't tell them that and they were just told where to download it from. As Apple or Google will do with you and P, no one will have a clue.

I'm really starting to seriously consider a 71 Cuda project car...

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 09-09-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: over a year on the road and no major software fixes yet?