Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over a year on the road and no major software fixes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:29 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Klredwood
I had my car at the dealer for the dreaded Bose passenger door speaker rattle. The wait for parts was about 3 weeks. During that time, the dealer was nice enough to provide a loaner Cayenne. The PCM is almost identical except that everything works as advertised, even includes AM. The software for the 911 is obviously a poorly scaled version of the same software. No update was available as of about 10 days ago. Oh, and for the record, the speaker rattle is not fixed. Guess I'll give it another shot in a week or two.
can you elaborate on this? I tried Bose on a new car at dealer and there was so much door rattle/vibration at my calves that i went for burmeister.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:03 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I was on my 3800 mile road trip when I saw the little percentage indicator start incrementing while I was driving. I presumed that it was another map update, but then a dialog popped update that said something to the effect of a "software update has been applied".
That is interesting. First of all the fact that it was done WHILST you were driving, but secondly that you weren't given a warning like "Updates available ..." or something like that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and postulate that this update was minor (having this done while driving), but again, I'd be interested to know if you can decline an update.

siberian
Old 09-08-2020, 12:15 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Under CAR/SETTINGS I recall a selection "ALLOW AUTOMATIC SOFTWARE UPDATES" . Will need to check screen later today. I have received two map updates in last 6 months while driving. Only notified when update is complete. Earlier this year (March/April) I went to car and noticed that some settings had somehow changed and I had to re-enter my 8 digit Porsche Connect code. I contacted customer service and was told Porsche had done a software update causing this.

Last edited by mathus7; 09-08-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:23 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx mathus7, if you can let us know if there's a way to disable "ALLOW AUTOMATIC UPDATES" with something like "NOTIFY ME WHEN UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE", I'm hoping there would be a way to find out what those updates are. I'm especially concerned about tracking software by Apple or Google etc.

siberian
Old 09-08-2020, 12:52 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

On the same screen there is a selection "CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES" I am under the impression that you would use this if auto update not selected. I have AUTO selected.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:27 PM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

So, I got my car back from the dealership today where they had installed an entirely new PCM unit (according to what I wast told). This was meant to fix most of the problems I've had with it, including but not limited to: screen occasionally turning into violet/yellow jamming the entire system for an indefinite period of time, glitches with the navigation software, as well as the inability to use wireless CarPlay. I was expecting that I would also get the latest and greatest software along with the brand spanking new unit. And what got fixed? Nothing, absolutely nothing, it seems. I still have to do some more research with it, but everything is exactly the same as it used to be in the unit that was initially put in my car now over a year ago at the factory. Oh yes, and I seem to have lost the built-in user manual (in German), which I had also requested to be installed in some other languages (like English) during some prior visits - to no avail. What is going on, Porsche?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Third party software integrating smoothly as can be seen above, with Service Dept's. fully aware and skilled in fixing them (IT issues) - meaning replace the unit which will give you the same bugs you had before. Apple will no more reveal to Porsche their bugs or code anymore than Porsche will reveals theirs to you.

What is happening with Porsche? Is it's got absolutely nothing to do with fahrvergnugung and as such they're integrating software they're incapable of fixing as it's not theirs to begin with. Reason I don't use Siri, CarPlay etc. I enjoy the vehicle and couldn't care less about a Burmeister, apps or other stuff that takes away from what I paid all this money for; which certainly wasn't to give Apple/Google etc. more revenue.

siberian
Old 09-08-2020, 04:58 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

They will probably blame it on the China Virus. Put your mask on and it will be all better. LOL.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:07 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
They will probably blame it on the China Virus. Put your mask on and it will be all better. LOL.
Poor taste; Just sayin'.
The following 2 users liked this post by 997usa:
Schwarz992C4S (09-11-2020), slwong23 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

It's past time for manufacturers to stop trying to do infotainment. There isn't a single system in any car on the road today that isn't a buggy, partially functional horror show. It's time to take it down to a simple bluetooth connection for audio routing and a local wireless display of whatever flavor of phone which enters the vehicle with you. I have an up to date GPS system, music library and internet browser in my pocket. I don't need a half-assed version of it built into the vehicle. It's time for a universal connector on mobile devices with at least a 10 year life span. There is no need to keep re-inventing the connector just to keep people locked into their eco system.

I stopped caring about built in GPS systems and audio beyond being able to take a call hands free. They are a waste of money.

Last edited by venom51; 09-09-2020 at 10:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by venom51:
Noah Fect (09-08-2020), Schwarz992C4S (09-11-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 06:00 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
It's past time for manufacturers to stop trying to do infotainment. There isn't a single system in any car on the road today that isn't a buggy, partially functional horror show. It's time to take it down a simple bluetooh connection for audio routing and a local wireless display of whatever flavor of phone which enters the vehicle with you. I have an up to date GPS system, music library and internet browser in my pocket. I don't need a half-assed version of it built into the vehicle. It's time for a universal connector on mobile devices with at least a 10 year life span. There is no need to keep re-inventing the connector just to keep people locked into their eco system.

I stopped caring about built in GPS systems and audio beyond being able to take a call hands free. They are a waste of money.
This +1,000,000
Old 09-08-2020, 06:32 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
This +1,000,000
Especially true when a failed infotainment system can make the car nearly undrivable. As is the case with my 2015 Tesla with the dead infotainment screen (known software/hardware design issue) which took out A/C, Audio.... and even turn signals. I'll take my (only slightly) buggy 992's screen every day at this point. Guess which one I'm going to sell first...
Old 09-08-2020, 06:33 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, believe I said about the same thing.

Nothing to do with actually driving/enjoying a (120k+) car and on top of that they want to charge annual fees...to hand over your daily data as to where/when you drive.

siberian
Old 09-08-2020, 11:22 PM
KCviper
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

It's past time for manufacturers to stop trying to do infotainment. There isn't a single system in any car on the road today that isn't a buggy, partially functional horror show. It's time to take it down a simple bluetooh connection for audio routing and a local wireless display of whatever flavor of phone which enters the vehicle with you. I have an up to date GPS system, music library and internet browser in my pocket. I don't need a half-assed version of it built into the vehicle. It's time for a universal connector on mobile devices with at least a 10 year life span. There is no need to keep re-inventing the connector just to keep people locked into their eco system.

+1 Agree 100%
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

CarPlay/Android Auto were the first pass at a big fix.
The Polestar 2 shows us where this is going by having a full Google OS -- they handed over development to Google.

Quick Reply: over a year on the road and no major software fixes yet?