Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluke incident - Car engine on, driver's door wouldn't open from the inside?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020 | 11:07 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Default Fluke incident - Car engine on, driver's door wouldn't open from the inside?

I pulled into a parking garage today and opened the driver's door to reach over to the parking ticket dispenser (I have a left arm injury so grabbing a ticket through the window with my right arm is awkward at best). Anyway, I did not slam the door closed afterward (I miss the soft-close doors options of my last vehicles). I could tell my door wasn't fully closed so I tried to open it again, but the door would not open with the interior door handle. I kept pulling the handle but the door would not release. Fortunately, I was in no danger or time rush so I gave up and drove into the garage. It was funny listening to the car periodically beep and complain that the driver's door was ajar but not able to do anything about it. When we finally parked I discovered I could roll down the driver's window, reach out and grab the door's outside door handle (it was extended), pull it and then heard the door mechanism unlatch. Problem solved.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I tried to reproduce this problem again tonight in my garage but was unable to make it happen. No matter what I tried, pulling the inside handle always unlatches the driver's door and it will push open. It's possible this was user error and the door was unlatched the whole time I was driving up into the garage but I just didn't realize it. However, I don't think so and I recall hearing the door mechanism unlatch when I finally reached out through the window and pulled on the exterior handle. Weird.
Old 08-30-2020 | 09:25 PM
SamD
Racer

yikes
Old 08-31-2020 | 07:34 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Scary, hearing this kind of stuff annoys me, Porsche really didn't need to do this. Electromechanical door handles to me are the equivalent of the BMW turn signals (with no detent) of the early 2000's to late 2010's. You took something that you should have left purely mechanical and tactile and made it digital for the sake of making it digital rather then leaving it alone. Even BMW went back to turn signals with a proper mechanical detent after trying to convince people over the course of 15 years. One of my neighbors with a model S has gone through countless door handles. I was walking my dog one morning and watched him getting in from the passenger side. I ask him "door handle?" Sheepishly he says "yes, again"
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020 | 06:07 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I got the latest software update when my C4S was in for its first service. You'll now see a warning that the door is being opened while the engine is running. The message on screen tells you to pull the handle twice to open it.
Old 08-31-2020 | 07:42 PM
PBM
Instructor

^^ ...that is odd. Mine ( a UK car built about May2019) and It has always warned and done the double open thing. I think latest update for me just changed the colour of the warning on screen . Thing is , I didnt pay much attention to it in past so cant be sure. I have a habit of doing this a lot ...and not putting in P 1st . I suspect its a habit I should stop as clearly the Germans know better than me./
Something to do with 1st "auto" car I have ever owned in all my life

Quick Reply: Fluke incident - Car engine on, driver's door wouldn't open from the inside?