Sponsored by:

6 month owners review- 992 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020 | 10:12 AM
Dan_SA
3rd Gear

Default 6 month owners review- 992 S

Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts - I've been checking the forum for some time now and found it very useful. I took delivery of my 992S in March and have owned it for nearly 6 months, so I thought it was time for a short review of the elements I like and dislike about the car.

- Still feels special every time I get in it

- No mechanical problems

- Drives and steers beautifully, handles speed humps fine (lots in my area) despite SPASM being 10mm lower

- 18 way adaptive sports seats with heating and cooling - gotta be comfortable

- space in the rear for 2 kids booster seats (though it's tight)

- sports exhaust - I was dubious on this initially and only added it to my order later, it definitely sounds better with than without (though not as good as many other cars)

- sport chrono - I really only got this option because I was worried about future resale value, but have ended up using it quite frequently and enjoy changing to different modes

- park assist - should be standard, and does help with parking (still no scratches on the wheels!)

Dislikes:

- wifi CarPlay - my biggest disappointment. Cuts in and out. So frustrating. Mentioned by many others here in other threads. Have given up and just using bluetooth connection recently. I plan to take it in for a check under warranty soon.

- keyless entry doesn't always work, maybe 90% of the time after I took the advice from another thread here - approach the door from behind (while standing next to the rear wheel) and place fingers under the handle. If I stand directly at the side the door or the key is not within about 50cm of the door handle then it works less often. Annoying because my last cars (Merc and Audi) were all faultless in this respect

- comfort entry where seats move back into position when ignition started - doesn't work all the time

- lack of space for bits and pieces in centre console (a lot of wasted space around the gear shifter - I have stuck my gate remote on the shiny black area with blu-tac)

- dash display obstruction by the steering wheel - I really think the designers were drunk when they designed the dash, I can't see half the map when I have it on the right display and there is a dial on the left I think I've never seen yet

So overall positive, but some electrical annoyances do detract from the ownership experience, especially when I have had other cheaper cars in the past which have just 'worked'.

I hope someone reads this and finds it useful when considering buying a 992.

Cheers
The following 7 users liked this post by Dan_SA:
363ny (08-24-2020), BigLoue (08-24-2020), detansinn (08-24-2020), Garydose (08-27-2020), kage65 (08-31-2020), mrcarlo (08-24-2020), r00t61 (08-24-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-24-2020 | 10:26 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Thanks for your thoughts. Regarding your comments on the Navigation on the driver’s screen behind the steering wheel, I just want to mention that you can put turn-by-turn instruction inside of the Speedometer. It mimics a heads-up display and I like it. Maybe you already know that but was worth a mention.
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020 | 11:27 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the write up, I have had mine 6 months as well.

I would check for updates. I have only had one issue with wireless CarPlay (it froze once - it was actually my phone that froze) but likely due to the interface. This is the best application of wireless CarPlay I have played with (not many out their). But mine has been good. Might be worth seeing if your dealer has any updates to apply.

My comfort access has not failed. I get in turn the "key" one position and it moves me up every time. One thing I did is set up my porsche id, and also set my memory right after on my position memory button. My wife did the same with her settings (set up her profile, and set her preferences with the second key and setting number 2). I do not think it has failed to work properly.

I agree with the entry and the frunk release. I now just use the key fob, as it is hit or miss on how it works. Seems pretty simple for porsche to get this right, but alas it does not work like every other car at 1/2 the cost.. Ughh.

The drivers display far left and right gauges are also another big miss.. You literarily have to move your head toward the center of the car to see the damn gas gauge, or toward the window to see the far left gauge (US spec). Honestly terrible. And the GT steering wheel makes it worse. I know the tach is important, but they could have shrunk it down by 15-20% to shift the far left and right gauges to the inner part of the steering wheel. I was on a long road trip this weekend (300 miles), and if the gas low indicator light was not where it was, I would not have know I was low on gas, as I cannot see the gauge (out of sight, out of mind). Thankfully the warning light comes on at 50 miles, and seems to be somewhat accurate.

Overall I am pretty please with the comfort and drivability of it (I also have 18 ways and they are super comfortable - best seats in any car I have owned, including luxury cars), it is by far the best 911 I have owned (even with the issues that are highlighted). Makes a great sporty Daily Driver, especially with the manual transmission on mine. Though it only needs 6 gears, 7th is a bit redundant.
SamD (08-31-2020)
Old 08-24-2020 | 11:49 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing.
Almost 5 months here and I love each inch of 992.
Old 08-24-2020 | 12:50 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

See bolded comments.

Originally Posted by Dan_SA
Hi all,

Dislikes:

- wifi CarPlay - my biggest disappointment. Cuts in and out. So frustrating. Mentioned by many others here in other threads. Have given up and just using bluetooth connection recently. I plan to take it in for a check under warranty soon.

You and I both. Mine actually stops whatever is playing in the car (XM, Radio, etc.) if I don't plug my cable into the phone for a wired connection. Been in twice for this. Terrible programing.

- keyless entry doesn't always work, maybe 90% of the time after I took the advice from another thread here - approach the door from behind (while standing next to the rear wheel) and place fingers under the handle. If I stand directly at the side the door or the key is not within about 50cm of the door handle then it works less often. Annoying because my last cars (Merc and Audi) were all faultless in this respect
Oh the frustration!
- comfort entry where seats move back into position when ignition started - doesn't work all the time
Same here!
- lack of space for bits and pieces in centre console (a lot of wasted space around the gear shifter - I have stuck my gate remote on the shiny black area with blu-tac)
I've had a bunch of 911s so I knew what I was signing up for. This is by far the best yet for daily use, especially the cup holder.
- dash display obstruction by the steering wheel - I really think the designers were drunk when they designed the dash, I can't see half the map when I have it on the right display and there is a dial on the left I think I've never seen yet
991 was worse IMO

Cheers
Old 08-24-2020 | 02:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the write up and welcome .

My car is a little over 6 weeks old, so a newbie here. Maybe the software has been updated because wireless carplay seems to work well. I don't use it much for music but hitting Siri always brings it straight up, although my free spotify account seems to get frozen. Wonder if that's the ads getting in the way, but otherwise it connects via 5 Ghz wifi fine every time. The comfort access is more or less 100% for the doors, less so on the trunk which is a little recalcitrant to play ball some times.

Have to agree re. the dash, I've said so here several times. The map is pretty useless there, apart from being hidden it doesn't zoom and additional info like speed limits is only shown on the main screen. Shame as the screen itself is really nice, but frankly I don't see the point of the 5-dial layout even as some sort of historical reference. Hell, my '73 Alfa GTV has a better layout.

Yes, the 18-ways are really good. So glad I ticked that box. Glad to hear you're happy with the car overall, despite these annoyances.
Old 08-25-2020 | 10:12 AM
Dan_SA
3rd Gear

I didn't know about the Nav showing on the speedometer, thanks
Old 08-26-2020 | 07:32 PM
Brad911
Racer

I didn't know about the Nav showing on the speedometer, thanks
that makes at least two of us! Quick Instructions?
Old 08-26-2020 | 09:15 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Brad911
that makes at least two of us! Quick Instructions?
Sure, I think you use the steering wheel
thumb wheel to flip over - highlight - the speedometer, then press on the thumb wheel and scroll to find it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
Brad911 (08-26-2020), Dan_SA (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020 | 10:05 PM
Brad911
Racer

Thanks, Dan N!
Old 08-27-2020 | 03:46 PM
G650
Racer

Quote:

- comfort entry where seats move back into position when ignition started - doesn't work all the time“

A few suggestions for you to try:

For Car Play; make sure your phone is connecting to the car’s 5G WiFi network. I originally had a lot of issues and then noticed the phone was connecting to the 2G network. I made the phone forget that network and connect to the 5G . Since then I’ve had zero issues.

Keyless entry; I’ve come to notice that the door handle sensor for the comfort entry is more “motion activated” than touch, hence if you make a deliberate movement with your hand to come under and up with 4 fingers underneath the handle until you just touch the underside of the handle it will open every time. (It should be a natural motion just as you would normally move your hand to grasp the handle if it was conventional.) For the Frunk I’ve found that a similarly sweeping motion along the forward frunk seam starting just below the Porsche Crest and sweeping left works best.

Comfort entry; Note that the seat will only move forward once you have the ignition on, the car has recognized you as the driver and the door is closed.

Suggest that next time you drive the car and have all the seat and mirror positions correctly saved using the set button, when you switch the ignition off push the associated desired button (“1”)on the door again, (This is to ensure that you have the seat set at the desired memory position. If correct, nothing should happen.) the car remembers the last seat and mirror position and assigns it to the key in your pocket and the driver selected at that time in the PCM. When you return to the car the PCM will recognize the key and assume you’re the last driver and set the seat accordingly, moving the seat forward and steering wheel down once you’ve closed the door.
Bluehighways (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020 | 10:44 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G650
For the Frunk I’ve found that a similarly sweeping motion along the forward frunk seam starting just below the Porsche Crest and sweeping left works best.
I think the trick is to wave starting over the front bumper area below the Crest, not the frunk lid area below the Crest. This is equivalent to your advice to start along the frunk seam. From the manual (page 150): Place your hand between the Porsche Crest and the number plate.

I used to try waving around and closer to the Crest, with varied success. Now I just wave my hand upwards once from the nearest (to me) edge of the bumper toward the Crest and it works almost 100% of the time.
G650 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-31-2020 | 08:47 AM
Dan_SA
3rd Gear

Thanks G650. I was excited when you suggested I try the 5G wifi network, as it had always just connected to 2G automatically. Alas, it has the same issue for me. I did see somewhere a suggestion that iPhone X has particular problems, which is the phone I have. Would seem a pity to buy a new phone just in case it helps the CarPlay work...
Old 08-31-2020 | 09:26 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Thanks G650. I was excited when you suggested I try the 5G wifi network, as it had always just connected to 2G automatically. Alas, it has the same issue for me. I did see somewhere a suggestion that iPhone X has particular problems, which is the phone I have. Would seem a pity to buy a new phone just in case it helps the CarPlay work...
I have an iPhone X and have no issues. I would check your manual and review your connection set up. It should be connecting via BT to the car, right?
G650 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020 | 01:20 PM
G650
Racer

Dan, I’m using an iPhone X too. Switching to the 5G fixed my issues.

Apologies in Advance if you’ve already tried this, but be sure to tell your phone to “forget” the 2G network, otherwise it will still continue to try to connect to it. Also, after this step, be sure to completely shut down the car, lock it and wait a few minutes, while simultaneously re-booting the phone. Then, once the phone is back up and running, unlock the car, start the PCM, and follow along on both the iPhone and PCM screens to make sure they are connecting via the 5G. You may also have to go into the “device manager” page in the PCM and force it to connect via CarPlay by tapping the icon. Once successful, shut down the car, Exit and lock. You should only have to do this once, as the phone should then automatically connect to CarPlay after about a minute. I often find that if I unlock the car and am busy loading things in the Frunk, or checking traffic on my phone first the phone is already connected to CarPlay as soon as I switch on the PCM
Bluehighways (08-31-2020)

Quick Reply: 6 month owners review- 992 S