Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

See lots of build advice. Here’s how I ended up with a base.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020 | 08:14 PM
diss7
Racer

Default See lots of build advice. Here’s how I ended up with a base.

2018 I wanted a GT3. Missed out.

So decided I’d buy a Carrera T and a Radical to split the dual purpose of the GT3. Because I got busy with life and into a paralysis by analysis scenario with the spec of the Carrera T (which buckets do I want, solid black or jet black, PCCB or not) I missed out on that too.

So I decided to look for a C2 or C2s to tide me over till the 992. Important it was the right deal to reduce cost of ownership.

Was offered a 991.2 C2 15kms 19s Silver PDK. Wheel arch gap, big tyres 14 ways. Auto. Silver. “Dentist spec -lol no thanks” I remember saying at first. I’d never owned an auto (apart from work cars and a brief stint in an ISF which was more work than sports). But no other choices (small country means minimal stock) and the deal was right so what the hell.

This car completely changed my perspective on what I want from a 911.

The PDK was impressive from day 1. But it took me months to internally admit it and say it aloud.

It was nice not awkwardly getting in and out of it. It was nice not bracing myself when about to hit a bad patch of road. I could now sail straight up my driveway and go over some terrible speed bumps in town I would/could never do in previous sports cars. I started driving it for daily errands not just for drives. I took my elderly mother out for lunch in it. My wife doesn’t hate going in it. I put a car seat in the back for my daughter.

Hooning it through the mountain passes, I could use sports mode and it was definitely flatter, but it was nicer in normal. I certainly never wished it was firmer. If it was firmer or lower then it would affect/compromise the things I realised I loved about it. I also never wished it was faster.

It’s completely changed what my 992 build will be. I was actually relieved when I was told NZ isn’t getting the Carrera S in manual, as now I was going to be tempted away from the PDK I now love.

Last week I parked it in front of my house as my dealer had found a buyer and could offer me more now than when my 992 arrives. I felt I little sad seeing it go, and haven’t felt that about a car before, well not in a long time.

Ive had street/sports cars with 400hp/tonne. 9000rpms. Super sound. Super low and “stanced out”. Yet this dentist spec base Carrera is the best sports car I’ve had of the lot. So much so, the only differences my 992 order basically has is natural leather and PTS. There’s no spasm, no sc, no pse. Comfy seats.

I never would have thought that’s the 911 build for me.

And yet two years ago I was going to buy a GT3 with a cage. Or a Carrera T with buckets, all the sports options and no radio. Because more sports stuff makes for a better sports car right ? If it looks better in a photo it’s a better sports car right ? Now I look at low cars and think “pfft no thanks !”

I still hope to get a 992 GT3, but it won’t be to replace my Carrera, it will be to replace the Radical (wife actually encouraging me to do so as she hates the open cockpit danger etc)

i guess my point is to be honest about what’s important to you, not what is important to others. And, be aware of the compromises certain options result in.

Don’t fall for the hierarchy between models and even within options/configuration. “Oh you have a base and not this option and that option because that’s all could afford”. “You must have this option because I think you must have it”.

If you want a manual C2S, Sportex and aero kit - do it.

If you want a base with no leather and manual seats - do it.

Asking about the pros and cons of certain options is understandable and valuable - I’ve done it a lot.

But don’t be dictated to.

Dont build the car for the Internet. Build it for you and your scenario. Only you Can know what that is - and maybe like me you didn’t know until experiencing something new.

Last pics I took of my buggy dentist spec two pedal base 991.2 😢

The following 4 users liked this post by diss7:
gcurnew (08-30-2020), Icon_911 (08-23-2020), kwikit356 (08-29-2020), SunnySF (08-25-2020)
Old 08-22-2020 | 08:47 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Congrats
Old 08-22-2020 | 08:51 PM
thoz
8th Gear

You're bound to enjoy the next chapter in your journey. I see your 991.2 is for sale at Archibalds..
Old 08-22-2020 | 09:03 PM
diss7
Racer

Originally Posted by thoz
You're bound to enjoy the next chapter in your journey. I see your 991.2 is for sale at Archibalds..
Ah just noticed they’ve put it on TM this morning.

Its a great car. Even at the price listed, you could put 50,000kms over 5 years on it and get out of it for 70%.
Old 08-22-2020 | 09:25 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

I share a lot of similar thoughts with you... and have likely spent the same amount of time fretting over the unending amount of details Porsche provides.

The base 992 is an incredible ride. I just got back from a journey from home in Saratoga, CA to Napa Valley and even the highway cruising miles are an absolute pleasure. That said, my favorite thing to do is switch from comfort-cruising to individual Sport settings and wailing canyon roads at the flip of a switch and then back again when need be.

As for the 992 GT3... I’m really curious to see what Porsche delivers here. The cabin of the 992 is so comfortable and modern that I’m crossing my fingers that they do something really significant to distinguish the GT models.

Take care out there - your neighborhood in NZ looks beautiful!
Old 08-22-2020 | 10:32 PM
lkngshrp
Advanced

Default I felt compelled to reply to this

Thank you for your honest and genuine opinion. Thank you!

I am a long time AMG GTc owner and recently spent an entire weekend driving a 992 C4s. I e always been sceptical of 911’s and regarded them as highly capable but soul less instruments. I don’t know what they did to the 992 but it is nothing like the 991.2. It’s incredibly capable and has a distinct personality and lots of soul. Needless to say I’m ready to move over and am sourcing an allocation for European Delivery late 2021 or early mid 2022. I’m extremely impressed with the 992 911... Enjoy all!
Old 08-23-2020 | 12:59 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

whats important is you are happy with what you had and sounds like you are also happy with what you are about to get! good on you!
Old 08-29-2020 | 03:12 AM
msile
Rennlist Member

Nicely written. Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-29-2020 | 08:45 AM
ant922599
Instructor

Originally Posted by lkngshrp
Thank you for your honest and genuine opinion. Thank you!

I am a long time AMG GTc owner and recently spent an entire weekend driving a 992 C4s. I e always been sceptical of 911’s and regarded them as highly capable but soul less instruments. I don’t know what they did to the 992 but it is nothing like the 991.2. It’s incredibly capable and has a distinct personality and lots of soul. Needless to say I’m ready to move over and am sourcing an allocation for European Delivery late 2021 or early mid 2022. I’m extremely impressed with the 992 911... Enjoy all!
Interesting to hear this re. AMG GT to 992. I'm happy with my 992, but definitely have a serious AMG GT-R itch to scratch....
Old 08-29-2020 | 11:53 AM
markc911

Great story and I could not agree more! My first 911 was a 2017 991.2 911 base car with very few options other than the RS Spyder wheels. It was also a lot car and I loved every minute in that car. So when I decided to get a 992 I ordered a base car with the 20"/21" wheel package and Sport Chrono and I love it even more than my first 911. I had a lot of folks that said that I should get the S but glad I did not listen to them.

Quick Reply: See lots of build advice. Here’s how I ended up with a base.