Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange tripping of the alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020 | 02:18 PM
sj24k
Rennlist Member

Default Strange tripping of the alarm

So yesterday I had the 992 parked outside near an entrance to a local hiking trail. Since all the actual spots were taken and I was just making a brief stop to say hi to a friend, I parked the car off to the side of a nearby driveway that had an electronic entrance/exit gate. (Being very careful not to block anyone from getting in and out of course.) After a few minutes, the alarm went off. Since I was standing relatively close, I used the key to shut it off. Then a few minutes later, it happened again. After the third time, I moved the car to a spot that had opened up in the actual lot, and it never happened again. I got a notification on the connect app which I believe said it was the interior alarm sensor that was triggered. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? Wondering if some sensor from the gate could have tripped to cars alarm? (it did open a few times as other cars went through, but I wasn't always in eye shot to confirm timing.)

Anyway, appreciate any insight. Happy Saturday and yes, "strange tripping" was intended
The following users liked this post:
UPS DAVE (10-23-2020)
Old 09-04-2020 | 09:33 AM
jcbeckman
Rennlist Member

This started happening for me last Sunday and hasn't stopped. Took the car out, and before I got to the end of my street, got a call from Porsche Connect saying my car sent an alarm and was I ok? Said yes, all fine, didn't think about it. Got to my destination (outdoor malll) and while shopping got another call. Car was sitting in the parking lot undesturbed. Went home, and it went off twice more with the car in the garage.

It went off several more times since then with the car just sitting in the garage (top up, windows up). Took it to the dealer; they checked it out, refreshed the software, but never found anything. Now (a day after getting it back) it's setting off again. I will be going back to the dealer Tuesday (after Labor Day) and I hope they can figure it out.

Last edited by jcbeckman; 09-04-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2020 | 09:46 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

I had something like this and for some reason felt it was because I hadn’t put the car in park or left the ignition in positon 1.
Old 09-04-2020 | 10:15 AM
jcbeckman
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I don't think that's my issue, though. I'm parking it in the garage (in Park) and turning it off just like I always have. I got the car in March and it was fine until last Sunday. I wonder though if maybe a sensor has failed/is acting up.
Old 09-04-2020 | 11:25 AM
sj24k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcbeckman
This started happening for me last Sunday and hasn't stopped. Took the car out, and before I got to the end of my street, got a call from Porsche Connect saying my car sent an alarm and was I ok? Said yes, all fine, didn't think about it. Got to my destination (outdoor malll) and while shopping got another call. Car was sitting in the parking lot undesturbed. Went home, and it went off twice more with the car in the garage.

It went off several more times since then with the car just sitting in the garage (top up, windows up). Took it to the dealer; they checked it out, refreshed the software, but never found anything. Now (a day after getting it back) it's setting off again. I will be going back to the dealer Tuesday (after Labor Day) and I hope they can figure it out.
Thanks for sharing. Lmk what you find out. I haven’t had the issue since my original post, but honestly haven’t been parking the car in many places besides the home garage since. (Mostly point A to point A driving for the 992 these days.)
Old 09-08-2020 | 02:17 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

Mine did it again yesterday and all the windows were closed, locked doors, ignition off and was in park Soo I am lost for ideas. Interested if anyone else is having this.
Old 09-08-2020 | 03:03 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

I had my car on a ferry last weekend and the motion from the boat set my alarm off.

Old 09-08-2020 | 09:03 AM
jcbeckman
Rennlist Member

Motion makes sense. But I don't think the car is getting moved in my garage.

That said, since it went off a few times Thursday, it has not gone off again. I opened and closed the trunk and all doors (as the right door was showing on the phone app as open even though it did not seem to be to me). Maybe that's reset something.
Old 09-11-2020 | 12:56 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcbeckman
That said, since it went off a few times Thursday, it has not gone off again. I opened and closed the trunk and all doors (as the right door was showing on the phone app as open even though it did not seem to be to me). Maybe that's reset something.
I notice that the Porsche connect web portal has a Car Alarm tab. Maybe it can give you more detail on exactly what triggered your alarm (e.g., interior motion sensor or whatever) so you can better diagnose the fault: https://connect-portal.porsche.com/
The following users liked this post:
jcbeckman (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020 | 01:05 PM
jcbeckman
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I did not know about that tab. Unfortunately, it currently lists nothing. And since it hasn't gone off lately (yay!) hopefully it stays that way, but if it does I can go take a look. I did get notices on my watch and phone from the Connect app of a "status change alert" but that's all it would say, and didn't have anything I could find in the app.
Old 10-22-2020 | 01:49 PM
sj24k
Rennlist Member

hey - just bumping this after a little time off. happened again yesterday. parked the car for a few mins to drop something off. alarm tripped. was in visual distance, car was all by itself in a small lot, not parked near anything or anyone. porsche connect tells me it was an interior alarm. my guess is one of the interior monitoring sensors might be too sensitive or experiencing some type of fault. i've now turned off interior monitoring and will see what happens. next time she goes in for service will have them take a look. curious if anyone else experiencing similar issue(s). thanks.
Old 10-22-2020 | 04:02 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Mine has done this a couple of times as well. Both times just sitting in my garage with the door closed. Im taking it in next week for the BOSE rattle and will have them take a look as well.
Old 10-22-2020 | 11:49 PM
mrcarlo
Rennlist Member

I am having the same issue with my car as well. The alarm only goes off in the garage, at least three times in the past several weeks. So, last week I took it to Porsche to address this problem. Sadly they could not find the problem, nor did the alarm go off once while they had it for the week. The SA told me to turn off the interior sensor when parked in the garage since he thought something in the garage was setting it off. As long as this alarm does not become a daily thing, I guess I can write this off to touchy interior sensors. Luckily in the five months I've had the car this has been the only problem.
Old 10-23-2020 | 08:42 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Weird timing. Same thing here. Started a couple of days ago. Yesterday it happened way too often.

Of course if I take to the dealer they'll hold it for 2 weeks to tell me nothing happened there (the first week the car sits unattended in the sun or snow) as I drive a stinky loaner.

I also have the rattle (use a 65 hz frequency from YouTube-it plays for 1 hr to show it to them) and a CEL from the EVAP system. I guess I'll drop the car there and pick it up when spring arrives.
Old 11-22-2020 | 09:07 PM
G650
Racer

I’ve had a similar issue with the alarm being triggered about a minute after I lock the car and walk away. In the past I assumed something in my pocket was somehow pushing the “panic button” feature on the back of the key fob and that I should be careful to not let that happen.

Today I went to the car just to vacuum some dirt off the carpets. Finished the job, locked the door via the comfort access button on the door handle, the doors locked, the car chirped twice, and I saw the LEDs blinking inside indicating everything is working. About a minute later as I’m climbing the stairs I hear what sounds like my car alarm. I return to the garage to find the alarm silent, but the lights flashing. I turn off the alarm, unlock the car, open and close the door, and re-lock the car again using comfort access. I get the same confirmations that the car has locked and the alarm is set. This time I just stand nearby and wait while holding the key fob in my hand in order to make sure no buttons get pushed. Sure enough after exactly one minute the alarm goes off again.

I repeated this 2 more times, once locking via the key fob, once via comfort access, and these times nothing happened.

I haven’t renewed my Porsche Connect, so I can no longer access the alarm notification functions. Is there a way to recall this info via the PCM in the car?

Quick Reply: Strange tripping of the alarm