Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full activation of Matrix LED headlights in CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 12:38 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

"one of the local speed shops has a PIWIS3 and is agreeable to attempting to turn on the full function for me if I pay for the tech's time"

Here's the key. Are there any shops in and around the Washington DC region that have this hardware and would do the same? I'd like to get mine activated as well.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:41 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
"one of the local speed shops has a PIWIS3 and is agreeable to attempting to turn on the full function for me if I pay for the tech's time"

Here's the key. Are there any shops in and around the Washington DC region that have this hardware and would do the same? I'd like to get mine activated as well.
If you find somebody, let me know. Maybe we could split the cost.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm certainly interested in seeing if the x431 will be able to do this.

siberian
Old 03-20-2021, 05:40 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Dealers are pretty cautious about not making any programming changes to cars that might open them up to potential liability or scrutiny. As long as Matrix functionality is illegal in the U.S. I think the odds of getting a Canadian dealer to turn it on in a “visiting” U.S. car are almost zero. On a previous 911 I wanted to turn off TPMS (which was actually pretty easy to achieve without PIWIS) and they declined. Also asked about coding out the fuel overrun (AKA farting) in Sport mode in the 992 and my interpretation of the response was “don’t know why/don’t know how/not keen to explore.” As Sport+ and Normal don’t fart, I haven’t pressed the issue.
I'm not that optimistic with their competency. I think most dealers are absolutely oblivious to how to code. VW doesn't make an effort to teach them as any changes in coding come from the factory as a new PIWIS version, and the whole module(s) is entirely rewritten. Take a look at the car complaints website, under the TSB. Those bulletins go over software updates to correct different issues. They always rewrite the entire module.
So, if matrix becomes available, an update software is not difficult at all, but I'm not sure if it will be for free as the headlights work as sold.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (03-21-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 05:46 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Agree

siberian
Old 03-21-2021, 11:44 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
If you have the full PDLS+ Matrix Headlights, the Matrix part of the equation will not currently work in the US. That functionality is where part of your LED matrix headlamp will dim only a portion of your headlight LEDS to not interfere with on coming traffic. Each individual LED works to give the brightest coverage everywhere, but not to oncoming traffic. It is pretty cool tech.. However not activated in the US, and under review by the DOT.

I have it on mine (bought car off the lot) it is an expensive option (which I would not have spec'd on mine, knowing it could be months, years or never approved for the US market. So for now a bit of a waste of 3K option in the US. The physical headlights do look wicked though...

Here is a graphic explaining, also if you google LED Matrix headlights + Porsche there are a few live videos showing how it works live. Pretty illuminating!

I'm in Canada with these headlights and I have seen them do this.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:36 AM
ronflax
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in.. me too.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:14 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Porsche Canada - Activate Matrix lighting on US-registered car?

Does anyone know if a Canadian Porsche dealer (or independent garage) would activate Matrix lighting operation on a Matrix-equipped 992 registered in the USA?
For US owners, this could be an option now that virus-related travel restrictions have been relaxed.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:29 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

I recall reading somewhere on RennList that the Matrix headlights worked in a US car if you drove it to Canada. That is, the functionality had some sort of GPS region lockout. Has anyone driven a US Matrix headlight car to Canada to confirm this?

I would not option Matrix headlights under the presumption that they would someday work in the United States. Porsche explicitly states that they are programmed to operate as a single light source without any word suggesting that this may change in the US.

"Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above."

There have been a few threads on potentially enabling them through PIWIS, but no one has pulled this off yet. Of course, the first one that does will be a RennList legend. Until someone has that breakthrough, the matrix headlights are an aesthetic choice in the US.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:55 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
I recall reading somewhere on RennList that the Matrix headlights worked in a US car if you drove it to Canada. That is, the functionality had some sort of GPS region lockout. Has anyone driven a US Matrix headlight car to Canada to confirm this?

….
Personally, I would be somewhat skeptical of the gps-disabled theory for a few reasons, including that it implies that Canadian-market cars would lose Matrix functionality when driven to the US, Porsche’s US marketing materials make no mention of Matrix functionality being enabled when driven outside the US and a PIWIS-based functionality seems to me to be a simpler solution than one which is gps-based.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:13 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

BMW’s (and I assume Mercedes) have their versions of active matrix lighting that comes disabled from Germany…just as the Porsche. Maybe it’s a sales volume thing, but there many after-market companies that will “recode” your BMW to activate this “hidden” feature. If your car comes with the necessary hardware, it’s a simple software fix. I have it on my M4, and it’s GREAT. I had about 4 things re-coded (i.e., BMW’s Adaptive Matrix LED head lighting, Video in Motion, European rear brake lighting, and Comfort Seat Access) on my M4 and it cost me something like $60.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-09-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:44 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
BMW’s (and I assume Mercedes) have their versions of active matrix lighting that comes disabled from Germany…just as the Porsche. Maybe it’s a sales volume thing, but there many after-market companies that will “recode” your BMW to activate this “hidden” feature. …. on my M4 and it cost me something like $60.
Does not seem particularly helpful, given different manufacturers.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:52 PM
ronflax
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

The real question though is whether or not this is even on the radar for the new DOT Sec.? Thoughts? I have this option and was sold on it's superior functionality while driving at night, only to find out it's disabled in the US market. So, I have an option I paid for that doesn't even work.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
Does not seem particularly helpful, given different manufacturers.
It goes to why there may not, yet, be a solution for Porsche? Either not enough volume for someone to try and build a company around a solution with a small number of customers, OR, Porsche proprietary software is more impervious to hacking?

I suspect someone who’s tried to do this would know? If memory serves me, there have been numerous other threads on this topic, or similar/related topics?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-09-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:46 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Default Matrix lighting - NHTSA

As far as I can tell, the Trump administration did nothing whatsoever to advance the issue, even though a final rule was proposed by NHTSA staff in November 2018 to permit matrix lighting (which built on work done in the preceding administration):

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/N...unified-agenda

Hopefully, more progress will occur under Sec’y Buttigieg. (Hard to see how it could actually be less than under Pres.Trump&Sec’yChao.)

Last edited by peterdouglas; 08-10-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Full activation of Matrix LED headlights in CANADA