Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full activation of Matrix LED headlights in CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 02:52 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

It's incredibly frustrating that the US Gov is so dysfunctional that they wouldn't allow such an obvious improvement.

What a **** show the USA is, now.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:06 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,289 Likes on 603 Posts

Thank you again for sharing this. It makes it pretty clear cut. I've now ticked the LED Matrix option on my build
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
It's incredibly frustrating that the US Gov is so dysfunctional that they wouldn't allow such an obvious improvement.

What a **** show the USA is, now.
If you compare the outgoing DOT Sec. and the incoming one, there’s a number of differences.
I’ll keep it apolitical, since it’s one of the joys of Rennlist. However; having a DOT Sec that’s likely more familiar with modern technology and it’s safety benefits may help.

Or not
The following 2 users liked this post by Benedict14:
dhirm5 (12-18-2020), peterdouglas (08-10-2021)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:08 AM
shark715
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the U.S. and ordered Matrix as one of the local speed shops has a PIWIS3 and is agreeable to attempting to turn on the full function for me if I pay for the tech's time. But the car is not due until April.

I was able to code one of our BMW's and turn on the "anti dazzle" headlight function, which is somewhat similar to the Matrix. It really does appear to work as advertised, although some folks on the BMW forums have told me the BMW headlight modules are not the same as in Europe. I believe they are wrong, but admittedly I'm no expert. But I do seem to have the right option codes (automatic high beams, traffic sign camera, etc,) so that the car should be capable.

Anyway, if the local speed shop cannot turn on the Matrix function. I may have thrown away the $2000 cost of the option, but from all the info I've seen, I expect they will not have much difficulty at all..

But I could be wrong.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:52 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by shark715
I'm in the U.S. and ordered Matrix as one of the local speed shops has a PIWIS3 and is agreeable to attempting to turn on the full function for me if I pay for the tech's time. But the car is not due until April.

I was able to code one of our BMW's and turn on the "anti dazzle" headlight function, which is somewhat similar to the Matrix. It really does appear to work as advertised, although some folks on the BMW forums have told me the BMW headlight modules are not the same as in Europe. I believe they are wrong, but admittedly I'm no expert. But I do seem to have the right option codes (automatic high beams, traffic sign camera, etc,) so that the car should be capable.

Anyway, if the local speed shop cannot turn on the Matrix function. I may have thrown away the $2000 cost of the option, but from all the info I've seen, I expect they will not have much difficulty at all..

But I could be wrong.

I had the BMW antidazzle coded into my F80 M3 and it worked wonders. Even if US and Euro had a different module, I suspect the did the exact same thing. Mine would move one light or the other all over like a chameleon eyes can move independently and worked great for those long drives on dark highways.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:57 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,289 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by shark715

But I could be wrong.
I did the same and coded the variable light distribution and anti-dazzle headlights on my M4cs and it does work very well. I was quite involved on Bimmerpost about coding this feature on North American cars. Depending on model and model year, yes, it can be possible for the modules to be different between the US and the ROW. For instance, on the LCI icon headlight on the 4-series and M3/4, there is an entire LED array missing in US headlights, which makes for ill working VLD/NGHB. On pre-LCI, modules were identical.

It is very encouraging that Porsche has decided to activate these function on Canadian cars

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-19-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:26 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Have any Canadian owners been able to confirm that the LED matrix headlights are fully functional in Canada?

The Porcshe.ca sight is presenting unclear and contradictory information on the topic. In the English section, it has the same text as in the US specifying that feature is disabled for the US market. In the French section, it details the full functionality under that LED matrix option text, however in the blacked out option, it is a translation of the English text that only mentions basic HBA. Confusing...

While Transport Canada have indeed legalized variable distribution headlights back in 2018, other manufacturers such as BMW and Audi have not bothered activating the features for Canadian market cars, choosing the simpler route of giving us the same dumbed down US versions. I have coded the Euro variable light distribution and no glare high beam features on my BMW M4 and it is really amazing. I am really eager to find find out if Porsche have fully enabled them for the Canadian market. I am finalizing speccing my 992TT and don't want to spend 2.5k on headlight that don't offer anything more.

Any insight from Canadian owners would be appreciated.
VIVE LA FRANCE!!
(not that we need a new reason)
Old 12-19-2020, 06:30 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
If you compare the outgoing DOT Sec. and the incoming one, there’s a number of differences.
I’ll keep it apolitical, since it’s one of the joys of Rennlist. However; having a DOT Sec that’s likely more familiar with modern technology and it’s safety benefits may help.

Or not
Outgoing DOT sat on this rule for their entire term.
Hopefully the new Secretary will be able to make progress, unlike his predecessor.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 08-10-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Glen Fields
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED Matrix 992 911

Originally Posted by Poonstar
Does Canada ban the full functionality as the USA does?
The Canadian configurator does mention full capability is not available in the US market which is weird. Are we considered the same market?
I have configured my 992, and confirmed through Porsche London that LED Matrix headlights are fully operational on the Canadian version of the car after 2019. Cant wait for the demo this Friday. Cheers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glen Fields:
bobblehead (03-17-2021), gcurnew (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I dropped the coin on the LED-Matrix option in the US (because I like the way they look ok?!?)...and I NEED this to become available in the US. Why in the world we cannot get this through boggles my mind.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:08 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I dropped the coin on the LED-Matrix option in the US (because I like the way they look ok?!?)...and I NEED this to become available in the US. Why in the world we cannot get this through boggles my mind.

Maybe consider crossing the border (once the border opens up somewhat freely) to a Canadian Porsche dealer and have them activate it. But it may have some costs associated with it.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:36 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by bobblehead
Maybe consider crossing the border (once the border opens up somewhat freely) to a Canadian Porsche dealer and have them activate it. But it may have some costs associated with it.
Dealers are pretty cautious about not making any programming changes to cars that might open them up to potential liability or scrutiny. As long as Matrix functionality is illegal in the U.S. I think the odds of getting a Canadian dealer to turn it on in a “visiting” U.S. car are almost zero. On a previous 911 I wanted to turn off TPMS (which was actually pretty easy to achieve without PIWIS) and they declined. Also asked about coding out the fuel overrun (AKA farting) in Sport mode in the 992 and my interpretation of the response was “don’t know why/don’t know how/not keen to explore.” As Sport+ and Normal don’t fart, I haven’t pressed the issue.

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-17-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Marantz2270 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:42 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Dealers are pretty cautious about not making any programming changes to cars that might open them up to potential liability or scrutiny. As long as Matrix functionality is illegal in the U.S. I think the odds of getting a Canadian dealer to turn it on in a “visiting” U.S. car are almost zero.
I have to agree. It would be a legal risk for a Canadian dealer with no significant upside.
Stevelev (03-21-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:42 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Something else to turn to the x431 for.

siberian
jfr0317 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 12:13 PM
Glen Fields
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I would surmise that a software update will activate the Matrix function, and Porsche is waiting for the USA to catch up with Europe on technology. Keep yoir fingers crossed
jfr0317 (03-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Full activation of Matrix LED headlights in CANADA