Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grade a build for a 1st timer - a bit of color help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020 | 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure truffle is the best match for carmine exterior.

Truffle would go well with black or maybe a blue color.
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:01 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Warning: Possible outlier opinions here lol.

A slate, chalk or black interior works best with Carmine but brown leather ONLY works with a black or a white car.

Have had 2 Porsches with 4-ways and if they fit you they’re ok, but lack the ability to tweak leg support, lumbar and bolsters on long hauls. The new design 18-ways in the 992 take the seating comfort and support to a different level.

With you 100% on no sunroof; even in steel a sunroof undermines the taut roofline curves; glass versions turn the greenhouse into what looks like a design ransom note with competing lines, materials and colors. No sunroof option on any Cayman since 2006 isn’t an accident, and the car’s visual integrity - no matter what variation from base to GT4 - is the better for it.
Old 07-23-2020 | 08:09 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Get a beater for the office visits. 10 year old Honda or Toyota. Make them want to help you out...
I used to think that but realized it’s dependent on where you practice too. I live in FL and docs regularly drive exotics to work. 911s are very common. I also work in 2 stand alone private offices. I don’t go to the hospital. The only people that see my car are my partner, office staff and patients.

When I first go to meet other docs to introduce myself as the new guy in town I agree would just take another car. Life’s short so go for it!
Old 07-23-2020 | 02:48 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I used to think that but realized it’s dependent on where you practice too. I live in FL and docs regularly drive exotics to work. 911s are very common. I also work in 2 stand alone private offices. I don’t go to the hospital. The only people that see my car are my partner, office staff and patients.

When I first go to meet other docs to introduce myself as the new guy in town I agree would just take another car. Life’s short so go for it!
I work in a multi speciality clinic. I didn't get a Porsche til about 5 years in. Not because I was avoiding it -- that's just the way it worked out. One of the new guys got a Porsche early on before he really made his bones. Wasn't a big deal, but the impression was that he was comfortable. You can make up for that in a million different ways, but it's something to keep in mind. You ideally want your partners to think you're hungry and need support when you're starting out.
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:10 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Congrats on almost being done!

I'm a few years out and still worried about being seen as the young guy in a Porsche. Maybe one of these days I'll finally order something new!
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:29 PM
shake1
Racer

Looks like a great build. Carmine is a deep red and think it would pair well with a truffle brown interior.
Old 07-23-2020 | 04:18 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
You ideally want your partners to think you're hungry and need support when you're starting out.
I would agree with that, and even suggest it extends to colleagues (e.g., admin, nurses) and patients. But maybe I'm old-fashioned. FWIW, I'm not a medical professional, but even in my business I don't like driving an expensive car to the office or telling customers what I drive because employees get jealous and customers think they're paying too much :-)

Now, that said, I don't try to hide anything, but I don't advertise it either.
Old 07-23-2020 | 05:33 PM
Gables
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Warning: Possible outlier opinions here lol.

A slate, chalk or black interior works best with Carmine but brown leather ONLY works with a black or a white car.

Have had 2 Porsches with 4-ways and if they fit you they’re ok, but lack the ability to tweak leg support, lumbar and bolsters on long hauls. The new design 18-ways in the 992 take the seating comfort and support to a different level.

With you 100% on no sunroof; even in steel a sunroof undermines the taut roofline curves; glass versions turn the greenhouse into what looks like a design ransom note with competing lines, materials and colors. No sunroof option on any Cayman since 2006 isn’t an accident, and the car’s visual integrity - no matter what variation from base to GT4 - is the better for it.
Truffle Brown looks amazing with Aventurine Green and looks good with Dolomite and GT Silver.
The following users liked this post:
squid42 (08-18-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 07:45 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I work in a multi speciality clinic. I didn't get a Porsche til about 5 years in. Not because I was avoiding it -- that's just the way it worked out. One of the new guys got a Porsche early on before he really made his bones. Wasn't a big deal, but the impression was that he was comfortable. You can make up for that in a million different ways, but it's something to keep in mind. You ideally want your partners to think you're hungry and need support when you're starting out.
I agree this is a risk and I used to think like that until my wife told me to get whatever makes me happy. My 38yo MA just got diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer this week with no prior symptoms. No one knows what the future holds.
Old 07-23-2020 | 09:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I agree this is a risk and I used to think like that until my wife told me to get whatever makes me happy. My 38yo MA just got diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer this week with no prior symptoms. No one knows what the future holds.
I'm with you there. People think I'm crazy for all the cars I buy. I don't give a sh*t. I earned it and any one of us could go tomorrow.

As long as OP knows the score, he can navigate the terrain.
Master Deep (07-23-2020)
Old 07-24-2020 | 08:30 PM
1100S
Rennlist Member

Has anyone seen Carmine with black/Mojave’s beige leather? Kind of that old traditional Ferrari look
Old 07-24-2020 | 10:33 PM
Shouston3
AutoX

Surgeon here, 5 years out of fellowship. I drove a Honda Civic my first year out but quickly moved into Porsche (Macan GTS, Panamera 4S) and just took delivery of 992 4S this week. Absolutely amazing car and you will be extremely happy. Interestingly, one of my partners actually had a patient say, “my cardiologist is excellent and he drives Porsche, so I’m wondering about you as you are driving a Honda.” So it can go both ways, but after having Porsche vehicles for 4 years now, I’ve only received positive comments from patients and staff. My partners are into cars as well so no animosity there when one of us gets a new one, as we are actually excited and help with optioning! Life is short, go for it!!

992 4S
Gentian Blue
Sport Pkg
PCCB
RAS
PASM
add the K40 radar detector for street driving

The following 4 users liked this post by Shouston3:
Master Deep (07-27-2020), Pad Bender (09-01-2020), protamine (07-27-2020), Vintage72 (07-27-2020)
Old 07-25-2020 | 10:24 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by protamine
4 med school, 5 residency, 3 fellowship.
Sounds like CT surgery with the "old-school" fellowship. I am the one who administers protamine at the end of the cases. Got my Porsche 4 years out of CT anesthesia fellowship.

Best of luck with being an attending!
protamine (07-27-2020)
Old 07-25-2020 | 11:36 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by protamine
Actually just 'downgraded' to a '12 MB E350 (but people think its a newer car) - so basically I have a cheap, free, AWD beater. Referrals shouldn't be too terrible.

For some reason I have a mental problem paying 150 for a new car that has manual seats. And if I get PCCBs, then come the RS Spyder, so now its 10k more.

4 med school, 5 residency, 3 fellowship. Not a Sport Tex fan.

Agree, but I want some lux too. Maybe Sport tex in a GT car, but not in a spec'd C2S.
I was in the same boat as you paying 150 for a car w/ manual seats, but once my car arrived and I used it, I found that they're very convenient and fun to use. Anyone that sits in my car also points it out as a really cool feature!
Old 07-27-2020 | 02:41 AM
FSB
Instructor

Carmine red fits very well on 992,
no doubts. About club leather interior I’m not sure, as I I’m not absolutely sure about red/black leather interior with Carmine red (like on mine 992). But in real life it pulled glances

protamine (08-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Grade a build for a 1st timer - a bit of color help