Installed an external SIM, Improved Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 05:59 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts
Default Installed an external SIM, Improved Performance

I decided to pop a data SIM in the car to see if it made any difference in the performance of the PCM -- and hey, there was a difference.
US market cars are using Vodafone, which is a T-Mobile MVNO in the states. Using a Google Fi SIM, I'm seeing improved performance, which despite using the same T-Mobile network, appears to be getting a better quality connection. I suspect that the Vodafone plan included with Porsche Connect throttles the data throughput and has some fiercely low data caps. They're also likely paying for the lowest cost QoS tier on T-Mobile's network.

Since installing the SIM, Porsche Connect seems to work more reliably and I am getting a better connection in the garage. I now see a green ring in the Porsche Connect app when the car is in the garage. Yay!

Helpful notes to save you from my lessons learned
The following 9 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (07-22-2020), dhirm5 (01-07-2021), drgav2005 (12-23-2020), FD9NY (07-23-2020), findtom (07-23-2020), markchristenson (07-22-2020), rhr992c4s (07-22-2020), russbert (07-22-2020), Todd C (07-26-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:30 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Wow, that’s good to know, thanks.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 08:11 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the report. On a slightly different note, I recently decided to activate my car's WiFi hotspot which uses AT&T as the carrier. I now also have similar improvements in Porsche Connect functionality. Interestingly, the closest cell tower to my house is T-Mobile, and my iPhones have low AT&T signal strength inside my house.

The other thing I have found after activating the hotspot is that my iPhone 11 Pro Max now is still able to connect to CarPlay wirelessly via the 5 GHz WLAN while it also uses the 2.4 GHz WLAN for WiFi calling. This is indicated by the CarPlay screen showing the WiFi symbol as it does when on WiFi calling in the house as opposed to showing LTE or 5GE as it did prior to activating the hotspot. This of course uses the car's antenna which also helps signal strength. The AT&T data plan is $20/month for unlimited data (slower speeds in congested areas after 22 GB in a month).
Old 07-22-2020, 08:34 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

So wait, are there multiple flavors of connectivity? I don’t have ATT/hotspot enabled but I was under the impression it’s still using the SIM - or at least it refers to it as integrated SIM. Is there an embedded SIM + the removable one?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:38 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
So wait, are there multiple flavors of connectivity? I don’t have ATT/hotspot enabled but I was under the impression it’s still using the SIM - or at least it refers to it as integrated SIM. Is there an embedded SIM + the removable one?
The hotspot option I am using uses the embedded e-sim. As an alternative, you can use a physical sim in the slot in the center console compartment. With respect to the e-sim, apparently it uses the Porsche/Vodaphone connection for Porsche Connect services unless you opt for the hotspot activation or use a physical sim.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:42 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I decided to pop a data SIM in the car to see if it made any difference in the performance of the PCM -- and hey, there was a difference.
US market cars are using Vodafone, which is a T-Mobile MVNO in the states. Using a Google Fi SIM, I'm seeing improved performance, which despite using the same T-Mobile network, appears to be getting a better quality connection. I suspect that the Vodafone plan included with Porsche Connect throttles the data throughput and has some fiercely low data caps. They're also likely paying for the lowest cost QoS tier on T-Mobile's network.

Since installing the SIM, Porsche Connect seems to work more reliably and I am getting a better connection in the garage. I now see a green ring in the Porsche Connect app when the car is in the garage. Yay!

Helpful notes to save you from my lessons learned
  • To fit the SIM slot in the center console, I am using a well designed adapter for the Google Fi Nano SIM. The manual tells you to use a regular sized SIM, but that wasn't an option for me. This is the adapter that I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • For the APN settings, I blanked out the three options (network, username, password). Only adjust these settings when the SIM is inserted, because without an external SIM, you'll be altering the internal SIM settings. When you insert the SIM, it will prompt you to select a configuration. Pick custom.
So wait, are you paying for the service itself? Or if I added a SIM the way you describe will I get better use out of the PCM without paying the annual fee for whatever the heck you need to buy from them?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:48 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by jfr0317
The hotspot option I am using uses the embedded e-sim. As an alternative, you can use a physical sim in the slot in the center console compartment. With respect to the e-sim, apparently it uses the Porsche/Vodaphone connection for Porsche Connect services unless you opt for the hotspot activation or use a physical sim.
Interesting - I have a SIM from a mobile hotspot that I’m not using anymore. I enabled the free hotspot trial just now but didn’t notice an immediate improvement. Wondering if I should plug-in this SIM
detansinn (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 08:59 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TahouHots
So wait, are you paying for the service itself? Or if I added a SIM the way you describe will I get better use out of the PCM without paying the annual fee for whatever the heck you need to buy from them?
I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would be shocked if Porsche let you access the Connected services for free after the initial included 1 year period.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:01 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
Interesting - I have a SIM from a mobile hotspot that I’m not using anymore. I enabled the free hotspot trial just now but didn’t notice an immediate improvement. Wondering if I should plug-in this SIM
Worth trying, but be sure to use a proper adapter as detansinn pointed out above if your sim from your mobile hotspot is a nano-sim.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfr0317:
detansinn (07-22-2020), ryanlsmith (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Worth trying, but be sure to use a proper adapter as detasinn pointed out above if your sim from your mobile hotspot is a nano-sim.
Yea just ordered that kit. Arrives Friday.
The following 2 users liked this post by ryanlsmith:
detansinn (07-22-2020), jfr0317 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 07:53 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Just got it installed. Regarding the adapter itself (if anyone else buys it), you'll definitely want to use the sticker they provide. It should be self-explanatory, but I was expecting at least a little resistance when placing the sim in the adapter - nope, it's completely loose without the sticker.

Anyways, initial thought - it does *seem* snappier, but I just got back from a drive so the system may have still been warmed up. News, weather, maps all seemed to load very quickly, though. Will report back after the system goes to sleep. Oh, and for what it's worth - as I mentioned, I already had this sim in a mobile hotspot that I previously used for remote dash cam access, so it was already on my cell plan. It's obviously a personal choice if this is worth the extra $20-25/mo to add it.

Also, when I first installed, I was given a prompt to select the network connection...there were a few ATT ones (ATT Phone, ATT WAP, and others)...I just selected the one that said "ATT" and it seems to work fine...no other inputs required.

Last edited by ryanlsmith; 07-24-2020 at 07:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ryanlsmith:
detansinn (07-24-2020), jfr0317 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:17 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Without the external SIM, I was experiencing intermittent issues with my Porsche ID logging in, particularly from home. Since installing the external SIM, now, it just works.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:58 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

^ this. did same 2nd month of ownership
detansinn (01-07-2021)
Old 12-23-2020, 11:05 AM
Johnboston
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the report. On a slightly different note, I recently decided to activate my car's WiFi hotspot which uses AT&T as the carrier. I now also have similar improvements in Porsche Connect functionality. Interestingly, the closest cell tower to my house is T-Mobile, and my iPhones have low AT&T signal strength inside my house.

The other thing I have found after activating the hotspot is that my iPhone 11 Pro Max now is still able to connect to CarPlay wirelessly via the 5 GHz WLAN while it also uses the 2.4 GHz WLAN for WiFi calling. This is indicated by the CarPlay screen showing the WiFi symbol as it does when on WiFi calling in the house as opposed to showing LTE or 5GE as it did prior to activating the hotspot. This of course uses the car's antenna which also helps signal strength. The AT&T data plan is $20/month for unlimited data (slower speeds in congested areas after 22 GB in a month).
John, I’m wondering if you are still experiencing this functionality — i.e., being able to connect simultaneously to both the 5 GHz WLAN for wireless CarPlay and the 2.4 GHz WLAN for WiFi access through the embedded SIM using AT&T’s in car WiFi service. I have a new 992 and also have the in car WiFi service provided by AT&T through the embedded SIM. I can connect to wireless CarPlay no problem on my iPhone 11 Pro and, separately, to the 2.4 GHz network for WiFi access without issue, but I can’t seem to get both to work simultaneously as you report. As soon as I connect to wireless CarPlay using the 5 GHz network, the 2.4GHz network is disconnected. Curious is you still have the functionality of using both networks simultaneously or whether perhaps an iOS or PCM update since your original report may have eliminated this functionality. Appreciate any experience you might be able to offer. Thanks very much.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:18 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnboston
John, I’m wondering if you are still experiencing this functionality — i.e., being able to connect simultaneously to both the 5 GHz WLAN for wireless CarPlay and the 2.4 GHz WLAN for WiFi access through the embedded SIM using AT&T’s in car WiFi service. I have a new 992 and also have the in car WiFi service provided by AT&T through the embedded SIM. I can connect to wireless CarPlay no problem on my iPhone 11 Pro and, separately, to the 2.4 GHz network for WiFi access without issue, but I can’t seem to get both to work simultaneously as you report. As soon as I connect to wireless CarPlay using the 5 GHz network, the 2.4GHz network is disconnected. Curious is you still have the functionality of using both networks simultaneously or whether perhaps an iOS or PCM update since your original report may have eliminated this functionality. Appreciate any experience you might be able to offer. Thanks very much.
Well, it was working until 2 days ago. When I was using Apple CarPlay, a wi-fi symbol showed up on my CarPlay screen where it would show LTE if the iPhone were not connected to wi-fi with internet access. I am assuming it gets that access via the 2.4 GHz WLAN, but it might be using the 5 GHz WLAN for internet access instead.

Unfortunately, when I went out for a drive on Monday, I noticed that the wi-fi symbol was no longer there. I stopped and checked the wi-fi status on my iPhone, and it showed no internet connection and had the wi-fi symbol with an exclamation point on it. I decided to turn off "Mobile Data Service", but when I tried to turn it back on, that option was grayed out. I am going to take it to the dealer after the holidays.

Quick Reply: Installed an external SIM, Improved Performance