Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 04:25 PM
texas tom
Rennlist Member

Default 992 build

Hello All, new to the forum. Just ordered a 2021 Carrera S w/ 7 speed manual. It's my first Porsche, just came from an Audi R8. I am about 100 days from the freeze point and 184 to delivery. I went to the Porsche w/ MT to have a more engaged driving experience. I have gotten a couple of different opinions regarding rear axle steering. On the one hand I have heard it improves turn in, and I can see that, on the other hand I have heard if I'm after a more pure set up don't opt for it. I do want the feed back I've heard Porsche provides, and want to fell like I'm driving the car, not just riding in it. My R8 is a great car, but it lacks the involvement I believe the Carrera will provide. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Iceman23 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020 | 04:36 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Ive had RAS in my 17 and 19. My 2020 does NOT have it. I find that I can U turn just the same in either. So while I do like RAS. Unless you are constantly driving into tight spaces in a crowded city and or a track RAT. I dont not feel its needed anymore. And I HAD to have it in 17 and 19.

Id use that money for something else like glass roof or a sport design front end.
Vintage72 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020 | 04:48 PM
texas tom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Ive had RAS in my 17 and 19. My 2020 does NOT have it. I find that I can U turn just the same in either. So while I do like RAS. Unless you are constantly driving into tight spaces in a crowded city and or a track RAT. I dont not feel its needed anymore. And I HAD to have it in 17 and 19.

Id use that money for something else like glass roof or a sport design front end.
thanks!
Old 07-22-2020 | 05:15 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I am sorry that there isn't a 992 Carrera T to recommend.

When I read about rear axle steering inquiries, I think about Nick Murray's outing to a Porsche 992 press event. Porsche had indicated that the cars the press would be driving that day would have RWS. At the end of the drive, they were all exclaiming how much better the car handled with RWS. Only Nick knew from observation that Porsche had shipped the wrong cars and none of them had it. He kept quiet about it at the event.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 07-22-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2020 | 06:11 PM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

BigWorm said it well.

I posted this regarding RAS on another thread but it sums up my RAS position for your consideration:

"I had a 2013 911S w/o RAS and a 2019 Touring with RAS and drove the heck out of both. I could NOT ever tell the difference between the two as far as RAS is concerned but for "serious" turn-in-anticipation on a track. What I mean by that: your mind's eye has an anticipated turn in and achievable radius based on expereience with the track and car for each turn - with RAS, and quite magically, in the turn it gets even tighter as you almost imperceptibly feel the back come around and tighten things up even more. It always freaked me out a little as I thought maybe I was breaking loose but I know it allowed me to brake a little later and hit the gas sooner, hustling around the track at top speed. You just learn to have faith in the car and RAS. If that was important to me, I would order RAS. Otherwise, I would not.

And, on my 992, I did not."
russbert (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020 | 08:24 PM
texas tom
Rennlist Member

Thank you Vintage 72, that makes a lot of sense. I enjoy spirited driving, but don't really track my cars.. I also live in Austin and have driven R8s on a couple of track days at COTA, but that's about it. That being said, with my skill set (lack of), I get the impression RAS would probably be a waste of engineering for me. Thanks again, really looking forward to getting this car, it's been on my radar for a while.
Old 07-22-2020 | 09:18 PM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

When they arrive let's get our 992s together. If Covid does not further derail 911 production my C2S (MT) is scheduled to arrive at the Austin dealership in late October to early November. We shall see . . .
Old 07-22-2020 | 10:17 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Welcome . All I can add is that my C2S manual doesn’t have it, and I don’t miss it. Early days yet, only one drive outside city limits but nothing tells me that will change.
Vintage72 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:29 AM
texas tom
Rennlist Member

Hi Vintage, yes, that would be great. My car won't be here until middle of January. I have a tentative date of 1/22 but clearly things could change. Let me know when yours shows up, sounds like you might take delivery at the new building. Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2020 | 10:56 AM
Metalblond
Pro

My 911.2 C4S MT had RAS and my new 992 C4S MT will have RAS too. I love the feel of driving a car and I find RAS a rare treat on both highway and especially in the city. If you need to hit a lane quickly nothing beats it--and if you need to really get into a parking spot (I stink at parallel parking)- RAS gets you where you need to go. My 991.2 came off the lot and I didn't even know that it would be something I'd like or need--but after having it I realized I'd miss it if it wasn't there. Also, I can tell the difference. Try and drive one and see what you think. Congratulations on ordering your first Porsche and welcome to the wait ;-)

Quick Reply: 992 build