Sponsored by:

PPF and aftermarket stripes/decals

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 11:30 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts
Default PPF and aftermarket stripes/decals

I am not sure if I’ve seen this answered in the PPF threads. If so, please, Mr(s). Moderator, move it or delete it.

That said, I am curious about adding a stripe or decals after getting PPF. I was going to get the Motorsports Stripe, but decided it wasn’t totally my cuppa. And I want a Porsche side decal, but I am not totally loving the factory option. So I’m thinking about a center stripe and door/side decals after delivery.

WIth that in mind, I am also thinking of getting partial PPF. And then having the stripe(s)/decals added after. I was wondering if it would be better to get PPF on the areas where the stripes and decals will go, assuming that the partial PPF doesn’t cover all of those.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:22 AM
Lander992TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I’ve actually been considering adding door decals and ppf on my GT3RS as well, but I was planning on having the film installed over the decals. Curious if anyone has insight on whether the film should go over the decals or decals on the film?
Old 07-23-2020, 12:26 AM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Film should go over the decals. Otherwise your decals won't lay flat. They will have a ridge over the ppf. In addition, if you keep the car long enough to need your ppf replaced you won't be able to remove the old ppf without ruining your decals.

I would definitely wait on the ppf until after decals if you plan to add them later.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:57 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

That was my assumption (decals first) but I spoke with two detail/PPF installer folks and they said decals after the PPF. They said the PPF wouldn’t go down as well over the decals. Also, you could always do full PPF and there would not be anything to worry about.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:45 AM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
That was my assumption (decals first) but I spoke with two detail/PPF installer folks and they said decals after the PPF. They said the PPF wouldn’t go down as well over the decals. Also, you could always do full PPF and there would not be anything to worry about.
I guess if you were doing full ppf then it wouldn't matter as much. Also decals are cheap enough that if you decided to replace ppf when it becomes scratched and worn that you could just replace the decals as well. I still think it would look weird having the decals ride above the surface of the clearcoat and ppf. It seems to me that it would look like it is floating above the surface of the paint.

But I have never been a fan of the way ppf looks. I think it makes the car look too much like plastic and not like a glossy paint job. I also don't like all the scratches that develop in PPF and edges that come up over time. Even though PPF has improved a lot over the years, it still wears poorly, yellows, and looks a mess when it gets old. I would rather take my chances with just high quality ceramic or graphene coatings and avoid situations which cause road rash.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:03 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

I know the popular opinion here is to not spec the car for the next owner, but I think your decision should at least take this into consideration.

For example if your plan is to keep the car for a long time and you don’t care about resale as much, I’d put the stripes under the PPF for longevity.

However if you change cars a lot and are planning to sell within a couple years I’d put the stripes over the PPF.

Just my $0.02. When I was in the market for a used 991.2 GT3, I was quite fussy with options and passed on even considering several cars once I learned that the stripes were under the PPF. I personally don’t like stripes and the though of having to pay someone to remove the entire PPF, then the stripes, then re-PPF turned me off of those cars. Had the stripes been over the PPF that I could simply peel them off it would have been a selling feature because the PPF would be an added value for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:31 PM
jmaikamon
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
That is what my PPF installer told me too. I would much rather the decals be on the outside of the PPF because I can change my mind to do something different or nothing on a whim.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:30 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jmaikamon
That is what my PPF installer told me too. I would much rather the decals be on the outside of the PPF because I can change my mind to do something different or nothing on a whim.
I dig that :-)
Old 07-23-2020, 04:31 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rxpert
I know the popular opinion here is to not spec the car for the next owner, but I think your decision should at least take this into consideration.

For example if your plan is to keep the car for a long time and you don’t care about resale as much, I’d put the stripes under the PPF for longevity.

However if you change cars a lot and are planning to sell within a couple years I’d put the stripes over the PPF.

Just my $0.02. When I was in the market for a used 991.2 GT3, I was quite fussy with options and passed on even considering several cars once I learned that the stripes were under the PPF. I personally don’t like stripes and the though of having to pay someone to remove the entire PPF, then the stripes, then re-PPF turned me off of those cars. Had the stripes been over the PPF that I could simply peel them off it would have been a selling feature because the PPF would be an added value for me.

Hope this helps.
That's a great point, and one I had not thought of!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:16 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

PPF on the paint, then decals on the PPF. Then coating over everything.

Quick Reply: PPF and aftermarket stripes/decals