Sponsored by:

992 Turbo S Allocations

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 07:05 PM
karthikrg
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 992 Turbo S Allocations

I am in the SF bay area and have been trying to find a dealer with 992 turbo s allocations for a few weeks now without any luck. Are they really that hard to come by?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:44 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

A couple of possible reasons:
  • The shut down has probably disrupted secondary suppliers for components so it takes a while for them to ramp back up, and in the meantime allocations are limited. Even one bolt missing means the car is incomplete and cannot be shipped.
  • Porsche doesn’t like the fact that Turbos are the “kings of depreciation” and are limiting allocations deliberately. In fact, they produced as many 991.2 GT3s as they did TTS Coupes and Cabs for the US market.
You may have to look for allocations outside the Bay Area and/or be prepared to pay MSRP instead of hoping for a discount.

Last edited by frankchn; 07-19-2020 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:29 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by karthikrg
I am in the SF bay area and have been trying to find a dealer with 992 turbo s allocations for a few weeks now without any luck. Are they really that hard to come by?
Any 2021 allocation is hard to come by right now. Porsche has severely limited the number of 911 allocations for the rest of the year. You will have to dial for dealers across the US to find an allocation.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Any 2021 allocation is hard to come by right now. Porsche has severely limited the number of 911 allocations for the rest of the year. You will have to dial for dealers across the US to find an allocation.
I was hoping for a December/Jan PEC Atlanta C2S Cab delivery. Called a few dealers for the first time yesterday and many are saying they likely won’t be able to deliver my car before March! I’m in Florida.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:11 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
A couple of possible reasons:
  • The shut down has probably disrupted secondary suppliers for components so it takes a while for them to ramp back up, and in the meantime allocations are limited. Even one bolt missing means the car is incomplete and cannot be shipped.
  • Porsche doesn’t like the fact that Turbos are the “kings of depreciation” and are limiting allocations deliberately. In fact, they produced as many 991.2 GT3s as they did TTS Coupes and Cabs for the US market.
You may have to look for allocations outside the Bay Area and/or be prepared to pay MSRP instead of hoping for a discount.
Bullet point #1 simply makes sense and has to be a contributing factor since nothing is operating as smoothly or predictably as before.

It's possible that bullet point #2 might be wishful thinking... I sorta hope it's true, though, because the "kings of depreciation" part is certainly true! Even with the relatively high production numbers for 991 GT3s they don't seem to suffer as much as the TTS. In reality, Porsche is still in business to make money, however, and if there is demand then it's gotta be really hard to justify intentionally limiting production given that the absolute profit per car has got to be much higher on a TTS than on any other model.

I've been told by my Porsche salesman that allocations are periodic throughout the year and distributed to dealers in tranches, so maybe it's just a lull before the next periodic round of allocations.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:11 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Bullet point #1 simply makes sense and has to be a contributing factor since nothing is operating as smoothly or predictably as before.

It's possible that bullet point #2 might be wishful thinking... I sorta hope it's true, though, because the "kings of depreciation" part is certainly true! Even with the relatively high production numbers for 991 GT3s they don't seem to suffer as much as the TTS. In reality, Porsche is still in business to make money, however, and if there is demand then it's gotta be really hard to justify intentionally limiting production given that the absolute profit per car has got to be much higher on a TTS than on any other model.

I've been told by my Porsche salesman that allocations are periodic throughout the year and distributed to dealers in tranches, so maybe it's just a lull before the next periodic round of allocations.
Yeah the second point is wild guessing on my part. There were anecdotes that the 991.2 Turbo allocations were harder to come by than the 991.1 allocations, but I don't know if that was again a temporary blip in the allocations process.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:13 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s-258/
Old 07-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

P sales manager explained to me recently that all dealers receive allocations only 3 times per year. So, once they use up their allocation for a specific model variant they have to wait for the next round of allocations or trade another dealer for one (a swap if one can be had - that use to be fairly easy but not anymore). I used up their last C2S allocation. This new world is starting to concern me.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (07-20-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:19 PM
aquanaut
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Send me a PM if interested. My dealer just said they got 3 allocations... all December build Turbo S coupes.

Quick Reply: 992 Turbo S Allocations