Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020 | 06:54 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Default Tunes

Who has the best tune in the US for the 992?
Old 07-12-2020 | 08:54 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

"Best" is subjective. No one has a port flash tune yet, so any option requires sending your ECU for a bench flash or doing a piggy-back install. M-Engineering and APR are both working on ECU tunes, but will not be port flash afaik. COBB only releases port flashes from what I've seen, but I could not get *any* details of a 992 tune from them (they just told me to submit their request form which does not have 2020/992...). Litchfield has a very powerful tune, but you have to send your ECU to the UK. Vivid Racing has one as well, and they are based in Arizona - that might be one of the few US based ECU options at the moment. BMS has a piggy-back...standard JB4 setup, just requires a little bit of wire running because it has to connect to both the OBD port as well as some engine components. Racelogic's is also piggy-back I think, I assume it's a similar deal.

I think "best" right now comes down to availability, your preference of install type, and (assuming you do ECU flash) - who you trust sending the ECU to and if you can be without it for 1-2+ weeks.
The following users liked this post:
OmniBlade (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020 | 09:21 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nelly, Charlie XCX, and others have done Porsche tunes — search on YouTube, but I wouldn’t consider any of them “good music”.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
rons2112 (07-22-2020), SCPgrom76 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 04:18 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

I just bought Burger Motorsports JB4. It’s being shipped to me right now. I’ll post about it once I get it installed.

I contacted APR and they said their tune is on the schedule but no date or product in sight. I figured dropping $800 on a piggy-back will hold me over until they come out with a real tune.
AKSteve (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 05:06 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OmniBlade
I just bought Burger Motorsports JB4. It’s being shipped to me right now. I’ll post about it once I get it installed.
I plan on keeping my 992 4S stock, but I'm really interested in hearing how the install process works out for you. It was a real pain in the butt when I installed a setup like this on my 991. I just checked Burger's website and don't see any installation instructions for the 992 there yet.
OmniBlade (07-21-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 12:26 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by OmniBlade

I contacted APR and they said their tune is on the schedule but no date or product in sight. I figured dropping $800 on a piggy-back will hold me over until they come out with a real tune.
Alright, newbie question, but what's a piggy back?
Old 07-13-2020 | 12:27 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
"Best" is subjective. No one has a port flash tune yet, so any option requires sending your ECU for a bench flash or doing a piggy-back install. M-Engineering and APR are both working on ECU tunes, but will not be port flash afaik. COBB only releases port flashes from what I've seen, but I could not get *any* details of a 992 tune from them (they just told me to submit their request form which does not have 2020/992...). Litchfield has a very powerful tune, but you have to send your ECU to the UK. Vivid Racing has one as well, and they are based in Arizona - that might be one of the few US based ECU options at the moment. BMS has a piggy-back...standard JB4 setup, just requires a little bit of wire running because it has to connect to both the OBD port as well as some engine components. Racelogic's is also piggy-back I think, I assume it's a similar deal.

I think "best" right now comes down to availability, your preference of install type, and (assuming you do ECU flash) - who you trust sending the ECU to and if you can be without it for 1-2+ weeks.
I'm sure interested in Litchfield, but shipping the ECU overseas seems super risky
Old 07-13-2020 | 01:57 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
Literally piggy backs off your existing harnesses/wiring. I think there are 2 or 3 plugs which go into stock locations, and the stock connectors then plug into the harness.
Old 07-13-2020 | 02:02 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
This is a type of tune that connects a control box to a couple of sensors in your engine and it manipulates the readings so that your car's stock engine management computer is tricked into making the car put out more power. You can then select different performance Maps that increase the amount of additional boost your car's turbo puts out. The JB4 setup includes a wire that runs to your OBD connecter in the fuse box and lets it more closely monitor things for safety. If it notices any problems, it will kick the car out of whatever Map it is set to and go back to stock boost (Map 0).
Old 07-16-2020 | 08:12 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

I was doing an unrelated Google search for something and wound up getting a hit for a tune from a company called RaceChip. I have no plans to tune or modify my car, but I thought I would post a link to their product here. They advertise increases of 55hp & 69lb-ft of torque for $749. This numbers aren't that great, but they also say they warranty the engine for up to $10,000 for 2 years.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/porsche...yABEgILFPD_BwE

It looks to be another piggyback tune, btw.
Old 07-16-2020 | 02:10 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I was doing an unrelated Google search for something and wound up getting a hit for a tune from a company called RaceChip. I have no plans to tune or modify my car, but I thought I would post a link to their product here. They advertise increases of 55hp & 69lb-ft of torque for $749. This numbers aren't that great, but they also say they warranty the engine for up to $10,000 for 2 years.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/porsche...yABEgILFPD_BwE

It looks to be another piggyback tune, btw.
I wonder why they only claim support for the S model - piggybacks shouldn't really care (i.e. once you have the hardware and get all the readings you need, it should be able to adjust accordingly).
Old 07-16-2020 | 04:23 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

I wonder why they only claim support for the S model - piggybacks shouldn't really care (i.e. once you have the hardware and get all the readings you need, it should be able to adjust accordingly).
Different size turbos, injectors and boost settings.
Old 07-16-2020 | 04:35 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

The warranty kind of makes it an intriguing idea. I have a Dinan piggyback tune on my BMW 750 that also included a warranty. I even had the dealership install it for me. I still have no plans to get anything like this for my 992, but I would be interested to read a review of the RaceChip product if someone else gets one.
Old 07-16-2020 | 04:53 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Different size turbos, injectors and boost settings.
I know it's different hardware, but I thought most OTS piggyback maps were more about "relative" increases - i.e. it monitors the engine and bumps up where safe. I'm obviously not an expert in this area - I know flashes get into modifying actual timing tables, but again, I thought piggyback was much less complicated in that sense.
Old 07-16-2020 | 06:03 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

I know it's different hardware, but I thought most OTS piggyback maps were more about "relative" increases - i.e. it monitors the engine and bumps up where safe. I'm obviously not an expert in this area - I know flashes get into modifying actual timing tables, but again, I thought piggyback was much less complicated in that sense.
I have done a lot of tunes. The piggyback intercepts the signals from the CPU and modifies them based on engine speed, throttle position, and several other factors. It needs to know what engine it is working with and the hardware since injector timing and injector headroom are hardware dependent. It's not just an algorithm, it needs to know the baselines for the hardware it's working with. It also needs to know the headroom for each parameter which will be different depending on the hardware. In a way, it's simpler and more complicated as it's only modifying the stock impulses but cannot change the base values which you do with an ECU modification.
The following 2 users liked this post by inastrangeland:
ryanlsmith (07-16-2020), Todd C (07-16-2020)