Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver vs Weekend Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 09:09 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

1) My sports cars (including my 996 C4 Cab) are mainly week DAY warriors because I don't like driving on the weekend when every other numbnut is driving their car for the 1st time in the week.

2) I don't drive any of my sports cars more than 2-3k miles/year.

3) My 2002 MR2 only has 54k miles on it now and I'm not worried about any more mileagel that I may put on it; it won't affect it's alreday very low resale value which actually now seems to be on the rise.

Same for the 2008 BMW 335i which has over 100k miles on it.; it's already an overl ydepreciated car that I love nonetheless and no amount of mileage I put on the car will matter because I'll NEVER get out of it what I put into it which is why I'm going to keep it FOREVER!

As for the 2000 C4 Cab, it has 90k+ miles on it. It's worth more than what I bought it for because I bought it cheap. However, I already put $ into it that would barely allow me to "break even" if I sold it for top $ now. However, I have no plans to sell it as long as it doesn't give me headaches and drain my pocketbook. So, whatever hit I take on it in terms of expenses vs valuation is irrelevant.

Total KBB or BAT value of the 3 cars is no more than about $40k. Just a downpayment on a new 911 which would depreciation about as much in just 3-4 years.

LOL!

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-30-2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:46 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
So, I've decided this thread really needs to be a 3 part question instead of a poll: Is your 992 a 1) Daily Driver (DD) vs a Weekend Warrior (WW)?, 2) What do you expect your typical annual mileage to be? (since 2020 is not a typical year), and finally 3) Are you concerned with Resale due to higher mileage (e.g., a lot, a little, don't care)?

I ask because I have seen more responses that I have over the years about the 992 being a daily driver so being the curious person I am, I wondered what that meant, exactly. I always look forward to hearing your perspectives.

For me, the 992 (which should arrive in a couple of weeks) will be a WW, my fun car if you will. The Cayman its replacing has averaged about 4,500 miles (7,242 km) annually. I have run the gamut of worrying about depreciation due to mileage so right now I would rate mine as "a little" as I don't really care too much.

I am NO LONGER saving my Porsche for the NEXT person, as I want to enjoy it myself; after all, I bought it for me, not them! But I was surprised when we owned the first one back in 2001 Boxster S and we drove it like a normal car (a REAL DD) by putting about 15K miles (>24K km) a year on it for 4 years and how adversely it effected the resale value. The 2003 C4S was also a DD but used with more caution and it did much better while the 2004 TT I had (and absolutely loved) had about 68,500 miles (>110K km) but it was 14 years old when I sold it. But I was shocked when one guy couldn't get over how awesome it looked, how many options it had (carbon fiber, aerokit, etc.) but was completely turned OFF by it's mileage! That is less than 4,900 miles (7.88K km) per year ... give me a break!! Fortunately a few others raced to purchase it. But this is why I'm asking; to see if attitudes have changed or not over the years. It's also great to see a lot of first time buyers for Porsche with the 992 so I thought this might be an interesting discussion for them as well.
You can check finder.porsche.com to filter for 2017 911's under $100k. The 991.2 was probably the easiest to use as a daily driver until the 992. 2017 because there's a good chunk of lease return 991.2's in the mix. The $100k limit should cut out all Turbo's and GT's from 2017 along with highly optioned Carrera's. I found 120 cars nationwide with that filter. Question 2 basically answers question 1. If a car is driven an average of 15k mi/yr, then under 4k mi/yr is weekend warrior mileage. Seems like 911's at Porsche dealers have crept up in the last month which is as nuts as the stock market is now. Playing with the mileage filter can give you a better sense if mileage should be a concern to you based on the current market.

Last edited by daddyscar; 07-30-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver vs Weekend Warrior?