Would have considered MT if NOT 7 speed
5.82%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020 | 03:48 PM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

I have had many manual cars over the years but after having DCT and PDK would never go back to a manual now unless I was forced into owning something with no power.
The auto gearboxes of today are not the slow boring changes they used to be...they are now so good and the flappy paddles can give a lot of fun, not to mention that both hands are on the steering wheel when travelling at speed, why would you not embrace modern technology?
As mentioned before, my VW Caddy van is manual and thats fine....keeps my hand in, but my M4 DCT and the 992 Carrera 4S I just sold with PDK are excellent.
Old 07-09-2020 | 03:51 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Even if it was big and ugly, the old tiptronic style shifter in the 991 was more fun than shifting with only the paddles. The new micro-shaver shifter in the 992 is much smaller, but it's also ugly and worthless.

Last edited by AKSteve; 07-09-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2020 | 03:53 PM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
Nowadays, I think that all MT drivers are enthusiasts, but not all enthusiasts are MT drivers.
Snobbery is almost inbred in us. For a very very long period of time, it was justified. But it's not today and it's hard for many MT guys to let go of it.
No snobbery from me. I drive autos and DCTs also. They are great and the PDK is the best of them all. I just prefer a MT if it is a Porsche and if I am going to the track - I enjoy it more.
Originally Posted by Sorcerer 11
I have had many manual cars over the years but after having DCT and PDK would never go back to a manual now unless I was forced into owning something with no power.
The auto gearboxes of today are not the slow boring changes they used to be...they are now so good and the flappy paddles can give a lot of fun, not to mention that both hands are on the steering wheel when travelling at speed, why would you not embrace modern technology?
As mentioned before, my VW Caddy van is manual and thats fine....keeps my hand in, but my M4 DCT and the 992 Carrera 4S I just sold with PDK are excellent.
They are excellent, more fuel efficient, faster accelerating, and thoroughly modern. I like them (see above). However, I am on absolutely ZERO social media platforms and I stopped watching the news long ago. That should speak volumes about my archaic mind and desire for a MT in a sports car.
Old 07-09-2020 | 04:18 PM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I've just started teaching my oldest daughter (14) to drive. I do not, unfortunately, have a stick available. My wife knows how to drive stick, too, and when we first started dating I loved that she could drive my Boxster :-) Anyway, point being that I need to find access to a MT to teach my daughters how to drive because it is a life skill that everybody should have!

https://www.rentawreck.com/locations.htm used to have manuals
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 05:42 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Originally Posted by markchristenson
I've just started teaching my oldest daughter (14) to drive. I do not, unfortunately, have a stick available. My wife knows how to drive stick, too, and when we first started dating I loved that she could drive my Boxster :-) Anyway, point being that I need to find access to a MT to teach my daughters how to drive because it is a life skill that everybody should have!
Absolutely!!! I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled to say that her Dad taught her how to drive a manual and you are right, it's a life skill that she should have ;-)
markchristenson (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 06:03 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

So why did porsche decide not to let pdk's shift from the **** and only with the padles?
AKSteve (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 06:13 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

With the technology already available today, it would be possible to program an autonomous vehicle to shift, steer, accelerate and brake through an optimal track around a racecourse. With relatively little effort, it could be optimized for precise course conditions, weather and tire characteristics. A race car "driver" could sit in the driver's seat, "ride" around the track and win a race against every manually operated vehicle. Why would you not embrace that modern technology?

I've been in the tech business for the last 35 years. I love technology and absolutely believe that PDK (and most modern ATs) are better tech than MTs. But I haven't embraced the newer tech simply because I find MTs more engaging and a bit more thrilling because they require a modicum of skill. That's just what works for me. YMMV.
And sincere apologies if just a little bit of snobbery leaked out there.
The following 3 users liked this post by hinckley:
aggie57 (07-09-2020), Dan Nagy (07-09-2020), sweylo (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 06:48 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

technology vs. driving pleasure...take your choice
Old 07-09-2020 | 11:29 PM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

I taught my daughter how to drive a MT on my Wrangler when she was 17 - now she is 20. We off-road it together at Jeep Jamborees and unofficial outings. Its our thing. Priceless.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vintage72:
Metalblond (07-10-2020), russbert (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 11:39 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vintage72
I taught my daughter how to drive a MT on my Wrangler when she was 17 - now she is 20. We off-road it together at Jeep Jamborees and unofficial outings. Its our thing. Priceless.
I think that's awesome; good for you. I taught my 3 sons but only the middle one really enjoyed it. The oldest tolerated it and got pretty good while the youngest managed it but didn't particularly like it. Now that they all have kids of their own I doubt that they will teach them since none of them have a manual (all are in sales so it's not practical). Plus none of them (my grand-kids) are quite old enough yet.
Vintage72 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020 | 12:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevensivak
technology vs. driving pleasure...take your choice
It's really not that binary.

Care for ABS? Work out much ... How about power steering?

Even with a MT, every have to double-clutch because, y'know, no synchros?
Old 07-10-2020 | 03:44 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Originally Posted by hinckley
With the technology already available today, it would be possible to program an autonomous vehicle to shift, steer, accelerate and brake through an optimal track around a racecourse. With relatively little effort, it could be optimized for precise course conditions, weather and tire characteristics. A race car "driver" could sit in the driver's seat, "ride" around the track and win a race against every manually operated vehicle. Why would you not embrace that modern technology?

I've been in the tech business for the last 35 years. I love technology and absolutely believe that PDK (and most modern ATs) are better tech than MTs. But I haven't embraced the newer tech simply because I find MTs more engaging and a bit more thrilling because they require a modicum of skill. That's just what works for me. YMMV.
And sincere apologies if just a little bit of snobbery leaked out there.
Hey, I never mentioned anything about snobbery and don't think it is about that.
I get your point and its good we all have different opinions or we'd all still be driving yesterdays cars and starting them with a crank handle, but why would you want to be transported around a racecourse in an autonomous vehicle anyway?
We are buying the latest models with all the gizmos and gadgets of todays 'modern' age and there will always be some people that don't want certain things, for me that's the MT, I find the PDK engaging enough with flappy paddles.
The 'modicum of skill' you mention is sadly lacking in some people and perhaps that's me and why I prefer the PDK, but after more than 30 MT cars, hundreds of thousands of miles, plus being well into my 60's I feel I have developed a little bit of skill during my time.
No offence meant to anyone, its only personal preference.
Old 07-10-2020 | 04:42 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Hey, I never mentioned anything about snobbery and don't think it is about that.
It was a self-deprecating comment aimed at me, not you! I had mentioned "MT snobbery" in a prior post.

The 'modicum of skill' you mention is sadly lacking in some people and perhaps that's me and why I prefer the PDK, but after more than 30 MT cars, hundreds of thousands of miles, plus being well into my 60's I feel I have developed a little bit of skill during my time.
You've hinted at the difference in the American vs European perspective of the MT. In the US, where ATs had taken over way back in the 1950s, guys our age drove MTs because we wanted to. It was the enthusiast's choice and in addition to the being more fun, engaging and skilled, we thought we were more like Enlightened Europeans (there's that MT snobbery thing). But of course, most Europeans were driving MTs not by choice, but by necessity. And when Europeans began flocking to PDKs and ATs, American MT guys couldn't grasp why Enlightened Europeans would WANT to drive something other than an MT. It was hard to wrap our head around that fact that you grew up driving MTs because you had to, and we grew up driving MTs because we wanted to. And that's why the enthusiasm for MTs has remained in the US among "men of a certain age."

No offence meant to anyone, its only personal preference.
No offence taken. This is all an intelligent, respectful and hopefully fun exchange of ideas and opinions. Enthusiast forums at their best.
The following 2 users liked this post by hinckley:
russbert (07-10-2020), Sorcerer 11 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020 | 07:44 AM
Metalblond
Pro

That's awesome! ;-)
Old 07-10-2020 | 10:50 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

We also have a Jeep Rubicon with Manual Trans. I have taught both my boys (one is 17 and the other just turned 16 how to drive manual. Figured it wouldn't hurt to learn early. They are still getting used to it, once they do, I will let them try the 992 Manual (with me there).

Quick Reply: Poll - Manual vs PDK