Racist.
The following users liked this post:
inastrangeland (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:17 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
But in the latest Porsches with the new Lithium Batteries (which are better), they have made a proprietary LIN communication system that must be plugged into the battery itself for the car to communicate with the battery, and that will mean for the most part you will be stuck buying only the Porsche Lithium version of the battery forever after which will be exceptionally expensive.
So for example, if I order my 992 with RAS, that option is coupled with the Porsche Lithium Battery - so I am stuck massively overpaying for a replacement battery? I bet that battery cost what the entire RAS option cost in the first place; just guessing based on extensive experience with Porsche pricing. It is exactly why I do not order PCCBs. Love the look and performance, hate the brake job at $25k. And I remember well when then initially offered a Lithium battery in the 981 GT4 and quickly stopped because it failed often.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:29 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
So for example, if I order my 992 with RAS, that option is coupled with the Porsche Lithium Battery - so I am stuck massively overpaying for a replacement battery? I bet that battery cost what the entire RAS option cost in the first place; just guessing based on extensive experience with Porsche pricing. It is exactly why I do not order PCCBs. Love the look and performance, hate the brake job at $25k. And I remember well when then initially offered a Lithium battery in the 981 GT4 and quickly stopped because it failed often.
Will you have your 992 for 150k+ miles? Because that’s when you’d need a ceramic brake job. Unless you track of course.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:07 AM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smiles11
Will you have your 992 for 150k+ miles? Because that’s when you’d need a ceramic brake job. Unless you track of course.
Yes, I track. Its a blast and I live near COTA (within 45 minutes). My favorite track is the 3.1 at Cresson. PCCBs are awesome and I love the reduced brake dust factor.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:22 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Do you have an idea how much that will be reduced if you track 2-3 days/year?
Old 07-09-2020, 11:36 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Thats actually an estimation including the occasional track sesh. It took two 911’s for me to finally buy into getting CCB’s after many conversations with PCA guys and DE/track events including the invite track days. It will vary based on where you live of course... but I live in a rural town with pure highway driving. No stop-n-go traffic for my 911 + the 3-4 track days a year... I’d imagine you’d get 200k+ if you never tracked your car and had ceramics. Also depends on how hard you drive your car on track, and how long... Those that don’t spec ceramics because they “track”... must be tracking a dozen times or more a year to say steels are better; and to that, I agree. Nothing against the steelees, as they still have great performance. They’re actually not that far off IMO from CCB’s in performance, but you just won’t get the same life out of them.

Last edited by smiles11; 07-09-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Vintage72 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:41 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

There is a lot of info out there on PCCBs. Brembo makes direct replacement cast iron rotors and recommends you store the factory rotors for when you sell the car. In Colorado, we have a lot of sand on the road in the winter and that is really hard on PCCBs. I prefer to spend the money on light weight forged wheels and hoosiers or BFG R1s. Much better performance on the track and don't have to worry about the brakes taking a beating. Tires alone can be a way to reduce weight on the track.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:50 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Thats actually an estimation including the occasional track sesh. It took two 911’s for me to finally buy into getting CCB’s after many conversations with PCA guys and DE/track events including the invite track days. It will vary based on where you live of course... but I live in a rural town with pure highway driving. No stop-n-go traffic for my 911 + the 3-4 track days a year... I’d imagine you’d get 200k+ if you never tracked your car and had ceramics. Those that don’t spec ceramics because they “track”... must be tracking a dozen times or more a year to say steels are better; and to that, I agree. Nothing against the steelees, as they still have great performance. There really not that far off IMO from CCB’s, but you just won’t get the same life out of them.
That’s helpful to know. Honestly, I may not even end up doing that many just given my stage of life (three kids at home, don’t want to miss time with them).

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
There is a lot of info out there on PCCBs. Brembo makes direct replacement cast iron rotors and recommends you store the factory rotors for when you sell the car. In Colorado, we have a lot of sand on the road in the winter and that is really hard on PCCBs. I prefer to spend the money on light weight forged wheels and hoosiers or BFG R1s. Much better performance on the track and don't have to worry about the brakes taking a beating. Tires alone can be a way to reduce weight on the track.
Lightweight wheels even for a non-track use case are appealing. The HREs I’ve seen are pretty sweet, but my build is so expensive already that adding a few more aftermarket options will probably need to wait a while.
WheelsB (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:57 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

That’s helpful to know. Honestly, I may not even end up doing that many just given my stage of life (three kids at home, don’t want to miss time with them).
Bring them to the track and as soon as they are old enough, get them out there. I did that with my 4 kids and they are all better drivers because of it. Make track time, family time.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Bring them to the track and as soon as they are old enough, get them out there. I did that with my 4 kids and they are all better drivers because of it. Make track time, family time.
Our oldest is 14, and I have started taking her to a parking lot to learn how to drive. And I remember some of the younger auto-x participants and how they made it family time. It’s a good reminder and would definitely help me get more time at the track :-) The one time they’ve been to the track was 6-7 years ago when a group of motorcycle buddies and I rented a track for ourselves. The girls certainly had fun at that :-)
Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Awesome thread. Would love to see a super lightweight build that the owner made even lighter aftermarket (wheels, titanium exhaust, etc). Don’t forget GT fabric door pulls LOL.Would love to know if you can even feel the difference (I doubt it).
Old 07-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

You can feel the difference when cornering on track at speed. You really really can. I am not obsessed with "lightweight" but it is an ethos of sorts that I subscribe to within reason. I am certainly not going to toss out the A/C or stereo in the name of saving weight! And, I love full leather . . . .
Old 07-10-2020, 10:23 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

These...

https://www.acerracing.com/collectio...nium-lug-bolts
Old 07-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

thank you - ordering ASAP
black titanium, sweet.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:48 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Awesome thread. Would love to see a super lightweight build that the owner made even lighter aftermarket (wheels, titanium exhaust, etc). Don’t forget GT fabric door pulls LOL.Would love to know if you can even feel the difference (I doubt it).
I assume you're talking about the door pulls--of course you won't notice those :-)

However, if you're asking about a lightweight build you definitely notice 100 pounds or more (as Vintage72 already stated), and (reduced) rotating weight is even more noticeable that reducing static weight the same number of pounds.

Quick Reply: Weight Saving Options