Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Saving Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

What is the weight saving over an OEM Li-Po4 battery v the Antigravity battery?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I’m not sure about this generation but for the 991 the Burmester was supposedly a good bit lighter than Bose.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts

Can I ask a rookie question here. I understand the push to eliminate extra weight, but to what extent does the weight of the driver come into play? I know someone mentioned passengers, and I get that, but thinking about things like cloth pulls instead of door handles, or shaving off a few pounds off of the roof seems fruitless to me when a driver can each a big lunch and add the 2-3lbs back in...

Does a 200lb driver have a big disadvantage over a 150lb driver?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by tvlaan
Can I ask a rookie question here. I understand the push to eliminate extra weight, but to what extent does the weight of the driver come into play? I know someone mentioned passengers, and I get that, but thinking about things like cloth pulls instead of door handles, or shaving off a few pounds off of the roof seems fruitless to me when a driver can each a big lunch and add the 2-3lbs back in...

I guess it depends on the amount of power that determines the impact. Race car drivers are all lightweight.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I guess it depends on the amount of power that determines the impact. Race car drivers are all lightweight.
The smaller the better, like professional horse jockeys - size/weight matters. I like saving a little weight in the 911 where I can without sacrificing comforts I want. Nothing crazy. My general rule is to really prioritize and limit your must have options. Other than PCCBs, Carbon roof, and insulated glass, almost every option box you select adds weight. That weight adds up quick. Yes, even leather, but I require "full" leather in a 6 figure car or I do not feel special - sounds crazy, but true.
The following users liked this post:
Todd C (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I’m not sure about this generation but for the 991 the Burmester was supposedly a good bit lighter than Bose.
Are you yanking my chain to talk me into upgrading my order to Burmester? If you are not and we can confirm this as true, its just enough of an excuse for me to do so.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

All weight matters but it also depends in racing on what class you run. Most classes have weight limits or HP/Weight limits. They also limit the amount of weight you can add to the car if you are under weight. Weight in racing a a fine balance and yes, lighter weight drivers can have an advantage depending on class. For track day use, driver weight is not as much an issue, but lighter is always better as a rule. Class weights include the driver so lighter driver needs to add more weight elsewhere in the car to meet the rules. But, this can be added to strategic locations such as the passenger side to balance the car better.
Drizz (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:06 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

I agree that the easiest way to drop weight would be to drive alone, but everything being equal I still there is a lot to be noticed from decreasing weight. I think if you did some track days/autocrosses you'd notice a 50-pound difference. That said, it's unlikely a 200-pound person can easily lose 50 pounds. And I do agree, that shaving 4 pounds off the roof doesn't make sense by itself, but I like the aesthetic, and ended up deciding to lop some weight off in other areas, so it adds up. Also, the 4 pounds up high will have a slightly different (larger) impact than 4 pounds taken off down low. Not enough for *me* to notice, but for a professional it might be noticeable.
Todd C (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

I always think the same thing about a lot of this stuff. Obviously some of these mods take off pretty significant weight but, as you said, stuff like door pulls that take off ounces...come on. If the driver pooped vs not pooped pre-drive it will make up for that difference. I remember when the GT3 (I think that was the model) had a sticker for a hood decal once (maybe it still does...not sure) to save weight. Must save a few grams.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
Are you yanking my chain to talk me into upgrading my order to Burmester? If you are not and we can confirm this as true, its just enough of an excuse for me to do so.
Nevermind. Fake news. I remember this tidbit being passed around, but apparently someone actually weighed this stuff in the 991. Burmester is 6 lb heavier than stock; 1.5 lb heavier than Bose.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...omparison.html

Last edited by rk-d; 07-08-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Vintage72 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:17 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
I always think the same thing about a lot of this stuff. Obviously some of these mods take off pretty significant weight but, as you said, stuff like door pulls that take off ounces...come on. If the driver pooped vs not pooped pre-drive it will make up for that difference. I remember when the GT3 (I think that was the model) had a sticker for a hood decal once (maybe it still does...not sure) to save weight. Must save a few grams.
The GT2 RS has stickers for the hood and the logo on the tail. Obviously as single items they don't do anything, but I think they represent the idea, at least, that Porsche is intentionally trying to save weight. Years ago, I think in Panorama, there was an article about one of the customer race teams. It talked about how they went over every component of the car to find efficiencies. I remember they had smaller side-view mirrors, and I found it hard to believe that, by themselves, they would have a lot of impact in terms of aerodynamic improvements. But the team owner was making the point that it wasn't just that, but the 100 other things they also looked at to find a noticeable increase in efficiency.

At the end of the day, I know that the weight savings I personally end up with will not have any (or very little) actual impact on my main use case (driving to work occasionally, date night, drives on the twisties), but once I realized that PCCBs and 4-way seats save a big chunk it was kind of amusing to find what else could be done :-)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by findtom
What is the weight saving over an OEM Li-Po4 battery v the Antigravity battery?
The oloder Porsche Lithium was a bit heavier.... I believe about 11 pounds compared to our 60Ah model... but keep in mind they have a 70Ah version of the battery, vs the fact that we offer different Amp Hours options including from 24Ah, 30Ah, 40Ah, and 60Ah to fit the needs of your particular application, so we go down to about 15lbs for the 24Ah model. But one thing I will say is not to go with their original version of the Porsche OEM Battery that was available for the GT3s... it silver with a black top. Its a battery that had about a 70% failure rate and the reason Porsche stopped offering them for a little bit. They were discontinued. But in the latest Porsches with the new Lithium Batteries (which are better), they have made a proprietary LIN communication system that must be plugged into the battery itself for the car to communicate with the battery, and that will mean for the most part you will be stuck buying only the Porsche Lithium version of the battery forever after which will be exceptionally expensive. But hopefully there will be a work around later. But they are making cars super proprietary so only the manufacturers parts will work.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
The GT2 RS has stickers for the hood and the logo on the tail. Obviously as single items they don't do anything, but I think they represent the idea, at least, that Porsche is intentionally trying to save weight. Years ago, I think in Panorama, there was an article about one of the customer race teams. It talked about how they went over every component of the car to find efficiencies. I remember they had smaller side-view mirrors, and I found it hard to believe that, by themselves, they would have a lot of impact in terms of aerodynamic improvements. But the team owner was making the point that it wasn't just that, but the 100 other things they also looked at to find a noticeable increase in efficiency.

At the end of the day, I know that the weight savings I personally end up with will not have any (or very little) actual impact on my main use case (driving to work occasionally, date night, drives on the twisties), but once I realized that PCCBs and 4-way seats save a big chunk it was kind of amusing to find what else could be done :-)
Excellent point, and still a great thread. There are clearly some significant weight advantages to be had out there. I had no idea the seats and the PCCBs saved so much weight. I think my biggest surprise was actually the brakes.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:58 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

do folks clean out the frunk area before driving? I feel like it does contribute to the overall performance to any Porsche, as well as full vs half tank of gas
Old 07-08-2020, 08:30 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
do folks clean out the frunk area before driving? I feel like it does contribute to the overall performance to any Porsche, as well as full vs half tank of gas
Most everything that is not directly attached to the car is removed before getting on the track, including floor mats. These are safety measures since you don't want to be distracted by stuff flying around in the car. Spare tires, jacks, and anything that can be removed, should be to reduce the weight.

Quick Reply: Weight Saving Options