sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

Thank you all, appreciate the feedback
Old 07-03-2020, 01:58 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,467 Posts

SC is more than just launch control. It provides split personalities to your car. It can provide a compliant daily driver, or create responsive spirited driving, or an aggressive track feel. SC is a must if you want to liven up the car. Just my .02
Old 07-03-2020, 08:12 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
Don't forget, the SC is not just a clock or some kind of gimmick...If you want to beat Teslas off the line, you'll need launch control in the PDK which is only possible with SC...

PDK with LC Gets you:
  • Analog and digital chronograph – a chronograph installed on top of the dashboard that can be used for timing laps, and can be configured as a clock when not actively used as a stopwatch.
  • Mode switch on the steering wheel – vehicles without the Sport Chrono Package feature Normal and Sport modes, selectable via a SPORT button on the dashboard. Adding the Sport Chrono Package moves the SPORT button from the dashboard to an additional mode switch on the steering wheel, allowing drivers to select from multiple drive modes:
    – WET mode
    – NORMAL mode
    – SPORT mode
    – SPORT PLUS mode
    – Individual mode
    – SPORT Response
  • PSM Sport mode – briefly pressing (< 1 second) the PSM button on the dashboard activates the PSM Sport mode. In this mode, the driver can push closer to the limit range of the vehicle while PSM remains constantly active in the background. PSM Sport mode can be activated independently of the selected driving mode. PSM Sport mode cannot be activated in WET mode.
  • Launch control – the launch control function manages engine, gearbox, and stability control systems to provide the quickest standing-start acceleration. This function is only available on vehicles equipped with the PDK gearbox.

If you got the manual S, you automatically get SC, without launch control, but in place of it you get the rev-match feature so you always sound like you know how to heel/toe, even though you don't:

Rev-match function – in conjunction with Manual Transmission, the Sport Chrono package provides a rev-match function in both SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, matching engine RPM to transmission speed for smooth downshifts.
You nailed it
Old 07-05-2020, 11:00 AM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 73 Posts

I went base with sport chrono so I could have more fun with options to keep the build within my budget - after test driving a base and S back to back, I don't think I'll regret it
Old 07-05-2020, 12:24 PM
Mrkhanna16
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
I went base with sport chrono so I could have more fun with options to keep the build within my budget - after test driving a base and S back to back, I don't think I'll regret it
thats awesome that you drove back to back, can you expand a little on the difference?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by Mrkhanna16
thats awesome that you drove back to back, can you expand a little on the difference?
Originally Posted by Mrkhanna16
Yeah, so I drove a base then S, then went back to base and then back to S and finally back to base - I was at the dealer a little while =). To clarify the base had SC and one S had SC and the other did not.

So starting with exterior and interior, which are your first impression of the cars, both models obviously are exactly the same - you can dress up or down the interiors and exteriors exactly how you want them. Turn the ignition and there's really no difference there either - the S doesn't sound louder or really clue you in, in any way that it's got more power. It's not like turning on an entry level model with a V6 vs V8 or something like that - exactly the same sounds.

Now onto driving - to sum it up, the power difference between the base and S really didn't feel earth shattering and to be honest I really had to concentrate to notice it. After getting out of the base car for the first test drive I was blown away. In terms of exhaust notes, I honestly felt like the base had a very, very slightly better tone - and it honestly might just be that it revs slightly slower so you hear more of it as the rpms rise. The S definitely felt a little firmer suspension-wise, but nothing crazy or harsh and the way the power in the S pushed you in the seat felt a little more aggressive as were the shifts but again, nothing earth shattering that made me think I absolutely had to have the S over the base.

So going back and fourth between the the cars I left the dealership and decided to just go ahead with the base and use the saved money to go and get the options I wanted without "sacrificing" things I wanted just to get the S. If you're contemplating a base with SC vs S w/o SC, you're looking at what, 3.8 vs 3.5 seconds? I don't necessarily know if you'd be able to feel via butt dyno that extra 0.3 seconds? But again, this is all my opinion, I'd suggest trying to get your hands on both models so you can see for yourself and make your own decision since it's a pretty expensive decision.
The following 3 users liked this post by LifesAnesthesia:
dashanin (08-18-2020), mrcarlo (07-05-2020), timjab (02-02-2021)
Old 07-05-2020, 05:48 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Yeah, so I drove a base then S, then went back to base and then back to S and finally back to base - I was at the dealer a little while =). To clarify the base had SC and one S had SC and the other did not.

So starting with exterior and interior, which are your first impression of the cars, both models obviously are exactly the same - you can dress up or down the interiors and exteriors exactly how you want them. Turn the ignition and there's really no difference there either - the S doesn't sound louder or really clue you in, in any way that it's got more power. It's not like turning on an entry level model with a V6 vs V8 or something like that - exactly the same sounds.

Now onto driving - to sum it up, the power difference between the base and S really didn't feel earth shattering and to be honest I really had to concentrate to notice it. After getting out of the base car for the first test drive I was blown away. In terms of exhaust notes, I honestly felt like the base had a very, very slightly better tone - and it honestly might just be that it revs slightly slower so you hear more of it as the rpms rise. The S definitely felt a little firmer suspension-wise, but nothing crazy or harsh and the way the power in the S pushed you in the seat felt a little more aggressive as were the shifts but again, nothing earth shattering that made me think I absolutely had to have the S over the base.

So going back and fourth between the the cars I left the dealership and decided to just go ahead with the base and use the saved money to go and get the options I wanted without "sacrificing" things I wanted just to get the S. If you're contemplating a base with SC vs S w/o SC, you're looking at what, 3.8 vs 3.5 seconds? I don't necessarily know if you'd be able to feel via butt dyno that extra 0.3 seconds? But again, this is all my opinion, I'd suggest trying to get your hands on both models so you can see for yourself and make your own decision since it's a pretty expensive decision.
awesome thanks.

Is it easy to get rid of rectangular tips in base and swap them with quad tips?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:29 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by sali1980
awesome thanks.

I'm not 100% sure on that. I went with sports chrono + sports exhaust on my order. I personally felt that the sports exhaust made a big difference on either car.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,467 Posts

awesome thanks.

Valence opening is the same on base tips vs quad upgrade. So you’d just need to order the sport tips and swap them out without having to order a new valence.

PSE tips to quads would require a new valence on the other hand. So much easier in your scenario
Old 07-05-2020, 08:37 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I don't think anyone has asked these questions. What is the main reason for making your decision? Is it cost? You mentioned that you had a manual 991.2. Would you consider another manual, or is PDK a must? Is acceleration the most important aspect of the car?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=tgcrun;16752070]I don't think anyone has asked these questions. What is the main reason for making your decision? Is it cost? You mentioned that you had a manual 991.2. Would you consider another manual, or is PDK a must? Is acceleration the most important aspect of the car?[

Sure, I cannot have manual anymore as I got some mysterious inflammation in left knee and also my wife cannot drive manual. Lastly my office in NYC will likely open in September and I will drive in (no way I am taking the train). On weekends, NYC is only 30-35 min drive but weekdays I am sure it will take an hour or more and driving manual in bumper to bumper traffic would be a nightmare.

Acceleration is important and occasional tracking (2-4 times a year). A dealer is giving me a good price on my 991.2 but he has only the above 2 in stock within my budget.
The following users liked this post:
brucewinter (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:10 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

[QUOTE=sali1980;16752200]
Originally Posted by tgcrun
I don't think anyone has asked these questions. What is the main reason for making your decision? Is it cost? You mentioned that you had a manual 991.2. Would you consider another manual, or is PDK a must? Is acceleration the most important aspect of the car?[

Sure, I cannot have manual anymore as I got some mysterious inflammation in left knee and also my wife cannot drive manual. Lastly my office in NYC will likely open in September and I will drive in (no way I am taking the train). On weekends, NYC is only 30-35 min drive but weekdays I am sure it will take an hour or more and driving manual in bumper to bumper traffic would be a nightmare.

Acceleration is important and occasional tracking (2-4 times a year). A dealer is giving me a good price on my 991.2 but he has only the above 2 in stock within my budget.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there were two specific cars from which you're trying to choose. I'd opt for the S. I haven't driven either car, so my opinion isn't as informed as some others', but it seems to me that the extra 64 horsepower and other standard features of the S outweigh the features of the SC package.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:50 AM
Mrkhanna16
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks man! This helps confirm my future order for a 992 base Pdk SC + PSE
The following users liked this post:
LifesAnesthesia (07-06-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:04 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Ended up finding a 992S with both sports chrono and PSE
- car is significantly faster from 80 to 110 (sport mode not sport plus) than 991.2 base manual
- steering feels slightly light (the car had the dump package of steering assist or something)
- the seating feels slightly lower than base 911
- the cabin feels more spacious
- the mode change on steering is great
- don’t like the door handles
Old 07-17-2020, 07:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 426 Posts

Ended up finding a 992S with both sports chrono and PSE
- car is significantly faster from 80 to 110 (sport mode not sport plus) than 991.2 base manual
- steering feels slightly light (the car had the dump package of steering assist or something)
- the seating feels slightly lower than base 911
- the cabin feels more spacious
- the mode change on steering is great
- don’t like the door handles
So you DID get the 992 Carrera S then afterall? Confused? Which one was it? Also why?

Quick Reply: Base 911 with sports chrono vs 911S without sports chrono