Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody powder-coated their Carrera Classic wheels yet? Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
So now I’m actually thinking of leaving the inner spoke and wheel-center portions of the Carerra Classic wheels (the dark silver/grey portions) as-is, and only getting the the machined shiny silver edging powder-coated... In the satin black. I don’t know photoshop, but the last photo is a horrible mockup I did in Apple Photos... Thoughts?

Original shiny silver edging:

With black edging:

Also if anyone is decent at Photoshop and wants to take a crack at it, it would be very appreciated.
For me, the machined edge is what gives homage to the classic rim. Anyway, I understand the trend and if you like it, why not?
Old 07-04-2020, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
That would have given you a look akin to your Targa. Speaking of your Targa, what year is that? It looks just like my first 911.

"86" great car
Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

So now I’m actually thinking of leaving the inner spoke and wheel-center portions of the Carerra Classic wheels (the dark silver/grey portions) as-is, and only getting the the machined shiny silver edging powder-coated... In the satin black. I don’t know photoshop, but the last photo is a horrible mockup I did in Apple Photos... Thoughts?

Original shiny silver edging:

With black edging:

Also if anyone is decent at Photoshop and wants to take a crack at it, it would be very appreciated.
The opposite would look better IMO. change the gray to black or black metallic, but keep the lip and the edge silver the way it is on the rim already.
The following users liked this post:
French Blue (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 12:16 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrdude
The opposite would look better IMO. change the gray to black or black metallic, but keep the lip and the edge silver the way it is on the rim already.
Hmmmm... You might be a genius. Or it might look like a rim off a modern Mustang. I’m leaning toward thinking you’re probably a genius, though.

Anybody with Photoshop skills wanna take a hack at it?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:31 AM
968boy
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm... You might be a genius. Or it might look like a rim off a modern Mustang. I’m leaning toward thinking you’re probably a genius, though.

Anybody with Photoshop skills wanna take a hack at it?
The new Turbo wheel looks to be gloss black with machined face and is similar in design (besides center locks)

Last edited by 968boy; 07-05-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:26 PM
Ozy190
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 70 Posts

Ok, decision time.

Here's some really rough pick monkey editing. I'm personally leaning towards all black with a black stripe across the door to complete the look.

Stock

All black

Black, leaving machined edge

French Blue (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 04:58 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

^^^ good photoshops.... but my vote is to leave it as is
Vintage72 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Ozy190
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 70 Posts

Great advice. Really torn on keeping stock.

Only reason I'm playing around with black is because this would be the look if I decide to go thru with it:

Old 07-10-2020, 08:25 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Don’t do it. I’m biased, but those Classics look great just the way they are, and the stripe adds nothing to the look of the car.
Vintage72 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:36 AM
OmniBlade
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just had my wheels painted and some tint added. The replacement clear reflector is in the mail otw to me.

Painted wheels and tint

Stock
findtom (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Black wheels are the way to go!
Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

For all those who like the machined edges of the Carerra Classic wheels...

Some new information I came by in the worst way possible...

So I went to pick up my car from the detailers, and the owner of the business was there waiting for me, looking remorseful. Turns out somebody had tried to move a car they were detailing too close to mine, and had scraped along the wheel-well and wheel... Resulting in a bent fender lip and marked-up wheel.

So insurance was given, and I was off first to Porsche, and then their local certified body shop.

Both told me the same thing... It’s basically impossible to restore that machined finish on the Carerra Classic wheels. Since the whole machined area is done at once during production, perfectly matching the grain of the machining won’t happen. A repair might look fine from a distance, but up close you will see where the two finishes don’t quite match.

Accordingly, both Porsche and their certified body shop recommended total replacement of the wheel versus repair. This surprised me. My wheel has marks, sure, some light, some medium depth, but still, relatively minor marks when compared to some other damaged wheels (with more standard finishes) that I’ve seen... and those wheels ended up being repaired perfectly. The machined finish is just that much of a bitch...

No skin off my nose- the detailer’s insurance is taking care of it, but I’d hate to be on the hook for a wheel that goes for north of $2500 a pop.

BUT this experience is now making me think twice about keeping the machined finish when the car is out of the shop. I’d hate to be on the hook for this myself. Perhaps the wiser move in terms of a daily driver in a large city is to get those edges powdercoated...
Old 07-12-2020, 02:14 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Pics
Old 07-12-2020, 02:46 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Don’t do it. I’m biased, but those Classics look great just the way they are, and the stripe adds nothing to the look of the car.
I agree that the cars do not need the stripe. However, I do think the side stripes, especially if they say “Porsche”, are evocative of the cars from the 70s and I like the throwback look.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:14 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

For all those who like the machined edges of the Carerra Classic wheels...

Some new information I came by in the worst way possible...

So I went to pick up my car from the detailers, and the owner of the business was there waiting for me, looking remorseful. Turns out somebody had tried to move a car they were detailing too close to mine, and had scraped along the wheel-well and wheel... Resulting in a bent fender lip and marked-up wheel.

So insurance was given, and I was off first to Porsche, and then their local certified body shop.

Both told me the same thing... It’s basically impossible to restore that machined finish on the Carerra Classic wheels. Since the whole machined area is done at once during production, perfectly matching the grain of the machining won’t happen. A repair might look fine from a distance, but up close you will see where the two finishes don’t quite match.

Accordingly, both Porsche and their certified body shop recommended total replacement of the wheel versus repair. This surprised me. My wheel has marks, sure, some light, some medium depth, but still, relatively minor marks when compared to some other damaged wheels (with more standard finishes) that I’ve seen... and those wheels ended up being repaired perfectly. The machined finish is just that much of a bitch...

No skin off my nose- the detailer’s insurance is taking care of it, but I’d hate to be on the hook for a wheel that goes for north of $2500 a pop.

BUT this experience is now making me think twice about keeping the machined finish when the car is out of the shop. I’d hate to be on the hook for this myself. Perhaps the wiser move in terms of a daily driver in a large city is to get those edges powdercoated...
I don't have any experience with the Classics yet, but I have machined lips on the wheels of my Macan. About a month ago, I scraped a curb while I wasn't paying attention and ended up with about 6 inches of curb rash. I had it repaired by a wheel restoration guy for $100, and it looks perfect.

Quick Reply: Anybody powder-coated their Carrera Classic wheels yet? Pics?