Sponsored by:

Carrera or Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:30 PM
sf-911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
You want Sports Chrono. This gets you dynamic mounts and sport driving modes among the other goodies.
Driving around town, I’ve observed the PDK Start from 2nd gear, if you don’t do a ‘full’ stop. There is a bit of engine lugging starting this way.
With Sport chrono, selecting sports mode, prevents this.

Order a car with what you want. It is hard to find one spec’d the way you want. Patience pays off. Yes, waiting sucks.
The following users liked this post:
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by sf-911
Driving around town, I’ve observed the PDK Start from 2nd gear, if you don’t do a ‘full’ stop. There is a bit of engine lugging starting this way.
With Sport chrono, selecting sports mode, prevents this.

Order a car with what you want. It is hard to find one spec’d the way you want. Patience pays off. Yes, waiting sucks.
I hate Normal mode. The car lugs like crazy and ramps up to top gear aggressively. The car sounds and feels miserable. Sport mode should be default.
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 AM
911sk
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is the general consensus that a 992 C2 base is equivalent more or less in performance to a 991.2 C2S?
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:25 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sk
So is the general consensus that a 992 C2 base is equivalent more or less in performance to a 991.2 C2S?

ops... yes, I mean to say..
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

I hate Normal mode. The car lugs like crazy and ramps up to top gear aggressively. The car sounds and feels miserable. Sport mode should be default.
It (Sport mode) is my default, mostly for the reasons you mentioned PLUS it disables the retched Stop-Start function.
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
Please forgive me if this has been posted before but could not find it on a search. I'm currently driving a 718 GTS with the 4T, previously a 991.1 and a 997. I miss the 911 and am looking to switch back but am debating between a CPO CS or simply ordering a base for the same basic price. My car is a DD here in the Washington DC area - not driven every day but driven whenever II need to get out and do something. I use it on weekend for some back road drives and with some dine and drives and rallies. ......
Michael, first it's really great to see you again my friend and hope y'all are doing well. I'm assuming you are wanting a PDK (because of heavy traffic in D.C.), so "we" don't have to go down the same path again. I choose the C2S primarily because that was the only way I could get a manual transmission and I don't need a 4(S) since I live down South now and if I move again, it will be even further south. Lots of good data above so the only thing I would add is availability; which option (CPO vs base) do you think you could get in the timeline you want?

I know my dealership doesn't have lots of new allocations for the 2021's yet so get whatever works best for YOU because that is all that matters. It sounds like you are leaning heavily towards the base and the multiple threads I have read ALL sing the praises of it. In fact, from an article I recently read, you would be able to beat me 0-60 in your base w/PDK than my C2S with manual. It is plenty quick until you reach fairly high speeds. Obviously I have had to wait a long time for the manual so if you are willing to wait for a CPO'd 992, then it won't be that long ... really. Best of luck with your decision.
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

If you want me to hook you up with my SA at Tyson’s, let me know. What I like about him is that he really acts like an advisor, and you will not be pressured by him. They have a few nice C2’s on the lot, too. I’ve steered a few others to him and they all have had great experiences.
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:44 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Normal mode very likely only exists to pass emissions standards ... along with the engine start/stop. This type of thing, just like Direct Injection (which is likely going to coke up our intake valves) works for the environment in the short run, but costs us cars being disposable in the long run, rather than running for decades trouble free. Short sighted political agenda that doesn't think past the horizon,.
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

This Carrera vs Carrera S discussion has been ongoing for generations of 911's and the arguments are always the same. I bought an S primarily for the manual gearbox (old school here ... ) but regardless my first 911 was a 997.1 C2, it lasted 5 months before I got a loaner 997.2 C2S when the first car was being serviced. That was enough, I traded. Yes, there was a .1 to .2 change as well I know but I never regretted the extra $. I would have looked at a C2 now if the manual was offered but I suspect that experience would have inevitably taken me to the S.
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 04:30 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

My 992 C2 Cab is the first Porsche I've had. I will admit that COVID lockdown was the main influencer - if I couldn't do much of anything else, I wanted a fun car to drive. Normally I do much more research - I did not know the Base didn't have an LSD for example. For me, price wasn't a *huge* factor...but given the local inventory, we were talking $20k difference with the S model. It really boiled down to options, the C2S Cab didn't have surround view cameras (which is nice here due to large amounts of parallel parking), and whether I could justify $300-500 more per month for Sport Chrono. I don't track, and LC isn't really something you can use all the time anyways, so it was a hard pill to swallow. Would I have liked it? Sure. But the C2 is more than enough car on the road - it recorded 0.9g from a simple launch (Sport, no revs), and 1.03g lateral (felt like a lot to me). With the money saved, I plan on some tasteful mods: wheels, KW suspension, probably the smartTOP, and I already did clear corners within the first week. I may also get the Akrapovic slip-on (had that on my E90, sounded great).
The following 2 users liked this post by ryanlsmith:
markchristenson (06-24-2020), michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:29 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
Michael, first it's really great to see you again my friend and hope y'all are doing well. I'm assuming you are wanting a PDK (because of heavy traffic in D.C.), so "we" don't have to go down the same path again. I choose the C2S primarily because that was the only way I could get a manual transmission and I don't need a 4(S) since I live down South now and if I move again, it will be even further south. Lots of good data above so the only thing I would add is availability; which option (CPO vs base) do you think you could get in the timeline you want?

I know my dealership doesn't have lots of new allocations for the 2021's yet so get whatever works best for YOU because that is all that matters. It sounds like you are leaning heavily towards the base and the multiple threads I have read ALL sing the praises of it. In fact, from an article I recently read, you would be able to beat me 0-60 in your base w/PDK than my C2S with manual. It is plenty quick until you reach fairly high speeds. Obviously I have had to wait a long time for the manual so if you are willing to wait for a CPO'd 992, then it won't be that long ... really. Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks Russ, great hearing from you again. Good luck with your new purchase, it is beautiful.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:30 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
If you want me to hook you up with my SA at Tyson’s, let me know. What I like about him is that he really acts like an advisor, and you will not be pressured by him. They have a few nice C2’s on the lot, too. I’ve steered a few others to him and they all have had great experiences.
Dan,

I bought my Cayman at Tysons but I'm not sure if I would use the same SA, he's been unresponsive. Would you mind sending a PM to me with the name?
Old 06-25-2020, 08:33 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Normal mode very likely only exists to pass emissions standards ... along with the engine start/stop. This type of thing, just like Direct Injection (which is likely going to coke up our intake valves) works for the environment in the short run, but costs us cars being disposable in the long run, rather than running for decades trouble free. Short sighted political agenda that doesn't think past the horizon,.

The Cayman GTS, in normal mode, is terrible. Sport hits the sweet spot for me. I set up individual to put everything in sport except comfort for shocks, perfect for most of my driving. Full sport or sport plus for fun drives. The same held true for my RS3 - never used normal mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by michael818:
992Sam (06-25-2020), russbert (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryanlsmith
My 992 C2 Cab is the first Porsche I've had. I will admit that COVID lockdown was the main influencer - if I couldn't do much of anything else, I wanted a fun car to drive. Normally I do much more research - I did not know the Base didn't have an LSD for example. For me, price wasn't a *huge* factor...but given the local inventory, we were talking $20k difference with the S model. It really boiled down to options, the C2S Cab didn't have surround view cameras (which is nice here due to large amounts of parallel parking), and whether I could justify $300-500 more per month for Sport Chrono. I don't track, and LC isn't really something you can use all the time anyways, so it was a hard pill to swallow. Would I have liked it? Sure. But the C2 is more than enough car on the road - it recorded 0.9g from a simple launch (Sport, no revs), and 1.03g lateral (felt like a lot to me). With the money saved, I plan on some tasteful mods: wheels, KW suspension, probably the smartTOP, and I already did clear corners within the first week. I may also get the Akrapovic slip-on (had that on my E90, sounded great).

The big missing item on the base, for me, is PTV. The S has it paired with LSD. LC is, to me, a novelty. I've had it in my two last cars and could count on two hands the number of times I used it, mostly to show it off to a passenger. I'm a little concerned about the lack of PTV but interested in hearing what others think about that.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:58 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
The Cayman GTS, in normal mode, is terrible. Sport hits the sweet spot for me. I set up individual to put everything in sport except comfort for shocks, perfect for most of my driving. Full sport or sport plus for fun drives. The same held true for my RS3 - never used normal mode.
I had a 2.7L Cayman and loved it. I took the Cayman GTS out for a spin and hated it. That four-banger behind the seat just gave me a headache. Where the 2.7 L wailed with a lovely note when you got on it, the four just got noisy. Of course, that’s just the way my ears heard it. I also like that it has just enough power and you need to work it. I keep looking for 2.7L Caymans and waiting for them to come down in price a bit. The price seems to be holding up.

BTW - sent a PM to you.

Quick Reply: Carrera or Carrera S