Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 09:36 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts
Default 2018/2019 Carrera T manual

A possible choice to consider. Slightly used, full warranty around 100k

The following 2 users liked this post by brucewinter:
michael818 (06-22-2020), rk-d (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 11:21 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by brucewinter
A possible choice to consider. Slightly used, full warranty around 100k

I'd love to try one of these out. I toyed with the idea of getting one when they came out. Cool car.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:58 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
Please forgive me if this has been posted before but could not find it on a search. I'm currently driving a 718 GTS with the 4T, previously a 991.1 and a 997. I miss the 911 and am looking to switch back but am debating between a CPO CS or simply ordering a base for the same basic price. My car is a DD here in the Washington DC area - not driven every day but driven whenever II need to get out and do something. I use it on weekend for some back road drives and with some dine and drives and rallies. I would welcome the driving impressions of those of you who have driven both. I can see that the S is a half a second faster than the base but I'm not sure if that is a significant factor for me. I'm not clear what is added to the S beyond the bigger turbos. I would opt for Sport Chrono on the base since it is a PDK car. The difference in price new is $15K, more that I want to spend right now but as the 2020 S models hit the used car market, the price for one should be pretty similar to the base car. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
911-heaven (06-24-2020), michael818 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:57 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
In addition to the substantial power bump, the S gives you LSD, bigger brakes and standard 20/21" wheels.

With the PDK, the Base is a quick car. You're not really going to notice much difference between it and the S until you're at highway speeds. At speed, the S's power advantage makes itself felt. For my driving, by the upgrades alone, I do think that the premium for the S is worth it. Of course, the S models also unlock options that are not available on the Base car, like Sport PASM, RAS, Manual, etc.
There is a substantial price increase for the S. I would like the LSD but the bigger brakes and larger wheels are no big deal for me. I actually prefer the smaller wheels on the base. PASM is fine for me, don't need SPASM for my type of driving. RAS seems like it would be a nice addition but added complexity and servicing costs down the line? I understand that the base does not have PTV, that's something I have had on my last cars and liked. I think, because I had two S variants previously, I'm a bit hesitant to go for the base, but the more I read and research, including her, the more the base appeals to me.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:01 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 540gone
I just came from a 981 GTS w/ headers, sport cats & a tune to a 992 C2 - if the Carrera is a saber, the Cayman is a switchblade - if you drive a Cayman, you know what I mean. Other former Porsches - 944S, 964, 997. A few M Cars, AMG cars, Audi S & RS cars. 992 C2 is by far the best of the lot in my opinion. Just go drive a "base" car as well as an S like I did. You will be quite surprised by the power - low speed spool-up is actually a bit quicker in the non-S. As stated in other posts above, you will likely only notice the difference at higher speeds. Bigger (better ??) brakes are only an issue if you track the car and need more heat dissipation capability - both cars will engage ABS immediately, so stopping distance is a function of tires, not brakes until they get hot enough to boil the brake fluid.

I feel Sport Chrono, full leather, the bigger wheels are essential. In addition to those 3, I spent an additional $12K on other "stuff", all of which was personal preference, and none of it makes the car drive any different. That "personal preference" is the downside of a custom order - you can get exactly what you want. Mine is a long term keeper, so the order process & time involved were worth it. Either option will be a great car!!
I've built a few base cars on the configurator and, with the options I want, usually end up around $116K. I haven't optioned the bigger wheels but would not buy a PDK without Sport Chrono. The rest of the options are more about comfort and personal preferences
Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by casaforte9
The rear wheel steering can only be had with S or 4s and that is supposedly a very nice handling option that can be felt , so that is something to consider
Having never experienced rear wheel steering, I'm not sure how necessary it might be for me. My last two 911's were fine without it.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:08 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I mean, for a standard DD no, you def don't need an S... but I'm always a fan of a little more power...and you tend to rarely regret buying the one that's got more power, where as some sometimes (only sometimes) regret not just paying up for it in the beginning and being done with it. Either way though both unreal awesome cars so you'd enjoy regardless.
That's always my issue - buyers regret. I'm always afraid that I'll ask myself why I didn't buy the car with more power, even if I never need it. I bought the CGTS to experience the mid rather than rear engine handling. It's a great car but I still think Porsche means 911 to me.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:11 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Having never experienced rear wheel steering, I'm not sure how necessary it might be for me. My last two 911's were fine without it.
I can't speak for the high speed advantages, but if you do a lot of driving around town, and u-turns, legal or otherwise, you will not regret this option... the car turns on a dime. I compared both side by side at the dealer, and it is very noticeable.
The following 3 users liked this post by 992Sam:
jcbeckman (06-23-2020), michael818 (06-23-2020), Richard_Wallace (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 01:21 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I can't speak for the high speed advantages, but if you do a lot of driving around town, and u-turns, legal or otherwise, you will not regret this option... the car turns on a dime. I compared both side by side at the dealer, and it is very noticeable.
I very much agree with this. RAS is more noticeable as a Daily Driver, at slow speeds (Uturns, tight turns in parking garages, slow maneuverability situations, etc.) - You would notice it much less at higher speeds. In a track situation, you may also notice it - but it really shines in a daily driver in slow maneuvers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
992Sam (06-22-2020), jcbeckman (06-23-2020), michael818 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 07:38 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TimD
No SPASM on the base car. This is a deal killer for me.
Also for me. That's why i ordered a Carrera S.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:00 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Please forgive me if this has been posted before but could not find it on a search. I'm currently driving a 718 GTS with the 4T, previously a 991.1 and a 997. I miss the 911 and am looking to switch back but am debating between a CPO CS or simply ordering a base for the same basic price. My car is a DD here in the Washington DC area - not driven every day but driven whenever II need to get out and do something. I use it on weekend for some back road drives and with some dine and drives and rallies. I would welcome the driving impressions of those of you who have driven both. I can see that the S is a half a second faster than the base but I'm not sure if that is a significant factor for me. I'm not clear what is added to the S beyond the bigger turbos. I would opt for Sport Chrono on the base since it is a PDK car. The difference in price new is $15K, more that I want to spend right now but as the 2020 S models hit the used car market, the price for one should be pretty similar to the base car. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
I am in a similar place to you, I am looking to get a new 992. Leaning heavily towards the C2, I don't really want to pay the extra for the S and don't really think I need what the S has to offer. I am 64 years old and I have out grown driving really fast the C2 will be more than fast enough for me. I am not into drag racing at a traffic light. I am not going to track the car so I do not need the larger brakes or a lot of the options that will improve track performance. From everything I have read and seen the 19"/20" wheels give a somewhat better ride for a daily driver. I intend keeping the car for quite a long period of time, and looking at the values of the two models after about a 10 year period the S is only worth $2-$3000 more, so greater depreciation with the S too. Actually laying these points out here I think it has helped me make my decision for my needs the C2 in all probability is the car for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by phila12180:
atl1glf (07-09-2020), michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:25 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
I am in a similar place to you, I am looking to get a new 992. Leaning heavily towards the C2, I don't really want to pay the extra for the S and don't really think I need what the S has to offer. I am 64 years old and I have out grown driving really fast the C2 will be more than fast enough for me. I am not into drag racing at a traffic light. I am not going to track the car so I do not need the larger brakes or a lot of the options that will improve track performance. From everything I have read and seen the 19"/20" wheels give a somewhat better ride for a daily driver. I intend keeping the car for quite a long period of time, and looking at the values of the two models after about a 10 year period the S is only worth $2-$3000 more, so greater depreciation with the S too. Actually laying these points out here I think it has helped me make my decision for my needs the C2 in all probability is the car for me.
I am 66 and still drive really fast. I don’t plan to outgrow anything. Just enjoying life.
The following 3 users liked this post by inastrangeland:
kwikit356 (06-24-2020), michael818 (06-25-2020), russbert (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:29 PM
sf-911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I have similar philosophy and own a 992 C2. No regrets. More money left in the stock market. This beast is far more car than I will ever take advantage of.
PDK+Sport Chrono gives more than enough of a performance boost. Its way too easy to add options. Spend time testing the major ones and find your must haves. I'm smiling whenever I drive this fantastic car!
The following 3 users liked this post by sf-911:
atl1glf (07-09-2020), michael818 (06-25-2020), SamD (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:37 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sf-911
I have similar philosophy and own a 992 C2. No regrets. More money left in the stock market. This beast is far more car than I will ever take advantage of.
PDK+Sport Chrono gives more than enough of a performance boost. Its way too easy to add options. Spend time testing the major ones and find your must haves. I'm smiling whenever I drive this fantastic car!
I pretty much agree with you, for me I don't even see the need for the Sport Chrono. I am sure I would play with it when I first get it but after the novelty has worn off I would probably never use it. I know a lot of people love all the options and that's why they offer them. I am looking at a fairly standard only looking to add about $5000 worth of options. I have never bought a Porsche before not sure if such a basic spec might be hard to get from a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
michael818 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:54 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

I pretty much agree with you, for me I don't even see the need for the Sport Chrono. I am sure I would play with it when I first get it but after the novelty has worn off I would probably never use it. I know a lot of people love all the options and that's why they offer them. I am looking at a fairly standard only looking to add about $5000 worth of options. I have never bought a Porsche before not sure if such a basic spec might be hard to get from a dealer.
You want Sports Chrono. This gets you dynamic mounts and sport driving modes among the other goodies.

The following users liked this post:
michael818 (06-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Carrera or Carrera S