Sponsored by:

Cheaper Frunk Liner Option

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 11:08 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Cheaper Frunk Liner Option

Before I pull another Porsche Buck out of my wallet (currently 1 Porsche dollar = $1,000 USD) to buy another Porsche branded accessory (the frunk linker for $160+ from Suncoast), I thought I'd see if something non-Porsche would suffice. I know, sacrilegious.

There is a thread over in the 991 Forum, complete with photo proof, which shows how perfectly an $8.00 tub from Home Depot gets the job done.

Does anyone know if it fits in the 992?

HDX 17 Gal. Tough Storage Bin in Black: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-17-G...LDBY/205808350

Old 06-19-2020, 12:25 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,181 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I picked up the official frunk liner from Suncoast. It's pricey, but it fits perfectly, so you don't lose much valuable cargo space, and it doesn't look low rent.
I used some credit card points on hand, so it didn't feel as expensive. Of course, after I purchased it, I discovered that another RennList vendor was selling it for $130. :P
The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (06-22-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have the OEM liner. It obviously fits perfectly, but I gotta say, I wish I’d seen the thread you referenced in the 991 forum before I bought it. I got it for 15% off retail (a courtesy the dealership extends for all accessories), but it’s still a pricy piece of plastic.

But it’s not really the money... after all, as Porsche accessories go, it’s a relative bargain. It’s about the functionality. The lid on that budget Home Depot option is terrific. Secures stuff in the bottom, and acts as a shelf for lighter items. Very cool. The OEM version should have come with a lid...

I need some storage boxes anyway. I’ll pick one up, and see if it fits. If the fit is as perfect as it apparently is in the 991, I may just swap out and sell my OEM liner...
Old 06-19-2020, 07:37 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Can someone Please post a pic with the HD box in the frunk?
Does it fit snug or rattle?
Which frunks does it fit?
Old 06-19-2020, 07:45 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,181 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
It's not going to fit as snug/nicely as the Porsche option. It's a drive to Home Depot and $8 spend for someone to find out. If you don't like the result, you've got a storage bin for the garage.
aggie57 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:58 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
I have quite a few of these from Home Depot (got them for $3 each on a sale a few years ago and they are very good for storage BTW) but my 992 doesn't arrive for another 6 *!&*# weeks so hopefully someone else will help you.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:35 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisryanc
Before I pull another Porsche Buck out of my wallet (currently 1 Porsche dollar = $1,000 USD) to buy another Porsche branded accessory (the frunk linker for $160+ from Suncoast), I thought I'd see if something non-Porsche would suffice. I know, sacrilegious.

There is a thread over in the 991 Forum, complete with photo proof, which shows how perfectly an $8.00 tub from Home Depot gets the job done.

Does anyone know if it fits in the 992?

HDX 17 Gal. Tough Storage Bin in Black: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-17-G...LDBY/205808350

I am all for keeping the wallet Porsche-tight but I can’t see this working very well. What fits in one car, may not fit in another. Frunk shapes and sizes are not uniform across the range (is it a 4S, do you have FAL, what battery is fitted, what music system is fitted etc). When you buy the frunk bin they ask for your VIN number so they can check your build to be sure they fit the correct bin. And then there’s the fact that a bin that isn’t a flush fit will lose you a third of what is already a small space. I’d go for an OEM bin or a cut to fit rubber mat or a soft plastic bag liner.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:40 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I bought the OEM frunk liner and I didn't like how snug it fit. You can see where it's digging into the carpet, which I didn't like. Took it out... So now I use it to load & move all my car wash soaps & interior cleaners for wash days in the garage lol

Last edited by smiles11; 06-19-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:19 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

I was at Lowe's and found a 17-gallon storage bin which looked extremely similar to the Home Depot one I referenced at the top of this thread. Only difference I can see is that the lid has a square grid pattern across, while the Home Depot one has the same pattern, but set at a 45-degree angle.

I'm picking my car up from the detailer in a bit, so I'll post if it fits in a little while. Photo of Lowe's bin:

Old 06-19-2020, 04:21 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

...and photo of the Home Depot bin:
Old 06-19-2020, 05:57 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 786 Posts

I don’t get the need for a liner, OE or otherwise. I’ve transported bagged dirt, 50-pound sacks of cement, bedding plants, track jacks and air tanks, jack stands and CL wheel torque wrench on long road trips, power tools and all manner of “normal” stuff in the “naked” frunk of a 911 and Cayman with no damage whatsoever. Any spills wipe up easily off the carpet, and a little elbow grease and a vacuum with brush can even remove minor scuffs in the carpet. If you keep hard-edged stuff down low and away from the plastic near the top of the frunk, the plastic bits never get hit /damaged at all.

In our case, when the only vehicles in the household were a 911 and a Cayman we realized they work pretty darn well as “normal” cars and can do a decent job as a true “sport/utility” vehicles. YMMV though, as it does require a shift in mindset for many people to view a 911 as simply a tool rather than a precious art object.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:20 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I don’t get the need for a liner,
I don't know if it would've helped, but the tire sealant in my car's frunk exploded and leaked all over right after I bought the car.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:30 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I don’t get the need for a liner, OE or otherwise. I’ve transported bagged dirt, 50-pound sacks of cement, bedding plants, track jacks and air tanks, jack stands and CL wheel torque wrench on long road trips, power tools and all manner of “normal” stuff in the “naked” frunk of a 911 and Cayman with no damage whatsoever. Any spills wipe up easily off the carpet, and a little elbow grease and a vacuum with brush can even remove minor scuffs in the carpet. If you keep hard-edged stuff down low and away from the plastic near the top of the frunk, the plastic bits never get hit /damaged at all.

In our case, when the only vehicles in the household were a 911 and a Cayman we realized they work pretty darn well as “normal” cars and can do a decent job as a true “sport/utility” vehicles. YMMV though, as it does require a shift in mindset for many people to view a 911 as simply a tool rather than a precious art object.
I put one in for super ease of cleaning, as my 911 is my DD. Spilled stuff, etc. Just pull out the liner, in 2 seconds I wipe it down (or hose it off) and done. In my past 911, I had some groceries I picked up and a bottle of sunflower oil spilled in the frunk, not all of it, but went beside and under the carpet - spent about 2 hours cleaning it out, Figured 160 bucks is worth it for a DD and then I don't really have to worry about something spilling at all. Also take out food (Thai, etc.) always leaks - now no worries, and cheap fix. I would have been fine with the home depot 10 dollar tub, I just want something to put in there to ease in clean up when something spills (notice When not If)...
Class5Kayaker (06-22-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It's not going to fit as snug/nicely as the Porsche option. It's a drive to Home Depot and $8 spend for someone to find out. If you don't like the result, you've got a storage bin for the garage.
What’s so hard about buying a couple of bins that might fit, try them out in the parking lot, and return them all in the same trip?
Todd C (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:16 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Originally Posted by morrisryanc
I was at Lowe's and found a 17-gallon storage bin which looked extremely similar to the Home Depot one I referenced at the top of this thread. Only difference I can see is that the lid has a square grid pattern across, while the Home Depot one has the same pattern, but set at a 45-degree angle.

I'm picking my car up from the detailer in a bit, so I'll post if it fits in a little while. Photo of Lowe's bin:
Ok, so the Lowe's bin doesn't fit in my 992 911 S. Guess I'll use it to store potting soil bags in my garage. I'll give the Home Depot version a shot tomorrow.
slc4s (06-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Cheaper Frunk Liner Option