992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S vs Turbo S visually...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020 | 06:22 AM
French Blue
Instructor

The whole supercar/exotics debate... I think perhaps some clarification is needed there. In my estimation, two things define a supercar... performance (hence the “super”), and rarity/exclusivity (hence the oft-used alternative descriptive term “exotic”).

There are simply too many TTS produced for the car to qualify as a supercar/exotic. It’s just not rare or exclusive enough.

But get it on a track, and it will greedily eat the lunches of the vast, vast majority of current supercars. And it will drive to that track and pick up In-N-Out on the way, while those supercars are trailered in like delicate butterflies. The performance aspect of the TTS is absolutely qualifiying.

If Porsche reduced production of the TTS to like 50-100 cars a year... Boom, it’s a supercar.

Come to think of it, there are a fair number of bonafide supercars that the regular old 992 S will spank on the track...
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 08:32 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

“Supercar” is defined by the following criteria...

1. Limited and/or handbuilt production
2. Liberal use of exotic materials for the time
3. Utility extremely compromised in the name of extreme performance
4. Not derived from a car that failed the above three criteria

No 911 passes the above criteria. The Carrera GT and 918 do pass.

The above criteria holds for historic cars as well. For example, the Miura passes as well as the Ferrari F40 passes.

You can’t use raw performance numbers as criteria, because classic supercars are considerably slower than modern cars.
rk-d (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 08:40 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn

The above criteria holds for historic cars as well. For example, the Miura passes as well as the Ferrari F40 passes.

You can’t use raw performance numbers as criteria, because classic supercars are considerably slower than modern cars.
The GT2RS is the only 911 that is arguably in the category. It's compromised, rare, uses bespoke, exotic materials and has real heritage. The only problem is that it's not a stand alone model, which I think is really a necessary component for an exotic.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (06-18-2020), JesseRohr (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 01:15 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
The GT2RS is the only 911 that is arguably in the category. It's compromised, rare, uses bespoke, exotic materials and has real heritage. The only problem is that it's not a stand alone model, which I think is really a necessary component for an exotic.
I could get behind this logic.
Old 06-18-2020 | 01:30 PM
G650
Racer

Quote:
”Using the configurator I built a Carrera S and Turbo S.... interesting to note the similarities between the two models. Given the leap in price, what would make you go for a Turbo S over the Carrera S?

I’m somewhat on the fence...here in South Africa, for the price of a Turbo S, I could pick up a well specced Carrera S and a Cayenne Coupe....”

I live in Southern California, and I’ve put 3,500 miles on my Carrera S over the past 6 months, with a good mix of city, freeway, and canyon driving, and not once have I said, “I wish this car would go faster”. In fact, the majority of the time I have to hold back, out of concern for getting a ticket.

Matt Farrah, who reviewed both the Carrera S and the Turbo S for “The Smoking Tire” said that he really couldn’t perceive much of a difference between the 2 cars at speeds less than 100 Mph. He went on to say that the only real difference between the two is that the Turbo S will get you sent to jail faster.

Last edited by G650; 06-18-2020 at 01:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by G650:
AlexCeres (06-19-2020), detansinn (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 01:46 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn

Hey, like I said, I’m not making the case that the TTS is a supercar, nor even the GT2 RS.

Merely pointing out that when it comes to pure performance, the TTS will get around a track faster than most current supercars. And the GT2 RS (on a good day) will get around one faster than any other production car period.
The following 2 users liked this post by French Blue:
997usa (06-18-2020), G650 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 03:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
What sort of rare and bespoke materials does the 991 GT2RS use?

It doesn't have a race-derived, motorsport engine (its basically a pumped up 991 TTS engine), nor a true dry sump, and its chassis is basically the same as any old 991 911. Yes, it has some carbon bits, more body panels for downforce, magnesium wheels (as an option), and rose-jointed bearings, but those are all add-ons and not really all that exotic.
Old 06-18-2020 | 03:13 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
I don’t have any issues driving a supercar around. It’s not point A to A but that’s apparently my tolerance to risk versus your own.

I don’t even really consider the TTS a supercar. It’s a wonderful car at the pinnacle of all sports cars. It’s insane to call it a supercar as it’s no more supercar than a 720S is hypercar even though they both blur their lines respectively.
I never said that the Turbo S is a super car - I said, verbatim, that it has super car performance, in a sleeper car package..... heck, it even has hyper car performance.
Old 06-18-2020 | 03:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

It doesn't have a race-derived, motorsport engine (its basically a pumped up 991 TTS engine), nor a true dry sump, and its chassis is basically the same as any old 991 911. Yes, it has some carbon bits, more body panels for downforce, magnesium wheels (as an option), and rose-jointed bearings, but those are all add-ons and not really all that exotic.
What is exotic now? Full carbon-fiber tub? Naturally-aspirated engine that revs to over 9K RPM? Small production volume used to be associated with exotic, but in modern world it only means that the product is just not as good because R&D cost is spread across smaller number of units, so many corners are cut.
Old 06-18-2020 | 04:27 PM
The-Dream
Advanced

Turbo S is a super car to me even if it's not the general consensus.
997usa (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 04:28 PM
frankchn
Pro

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
My 911 isn't my toy, it's my daily driver. My toy is my Huracan EVO. If I were trying to consolidate the two the 992 TTS would be a strong candidate but I don't know if it would win when there are many other deals out there. The price point just doesn't make it appealing to me over some others that could be had for that money.

Others in a similar price point
- Low mile 720S w/ CPO can be had in 2018 model year for 245K. A friend just snagged one.
- 2019 leftover 600LT can be had for the same price.
- Low mile Performante
- New Huracan EVO RWD
- Low mile 488GTB
- Low mile Aston DBS Superlegerra

I think Porsche pushed their price point into a world they can't compete with the TTS at 250-260K
I don't think you can compare new cars with used cars, because in 2 years or so a typical 230K+ MSRP TTS will depreciate to 180K (maybe even with CPO).
The following 2 users liked this post by frankchn:
997usa (06-18-2020), dhirm5 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 04:37 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frankchn
I don't think you can compare new cars with used cars, because in 2 years or so a typical 230K+ MSRP TTS will depreciate to 180K (maybe even with CPO).
Agree. To be fair, the new Huracan EVO is at roughly the same price, but it would get spanked by the TTS in nearly every category except "how much does your car resemble a rolling hard on".
Old 06-18-2020 | 05:06 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

So, what is a supercar then, if not defined by performance, quality materials, ability on the street and track, and exclusive pricing?
If a true supercar is defined by lack of comfort, extraordinary maintenance costs, and cars that only your less than favorite friends can own then I'm happy to stick with my TTS which is "super" to me and king of the road in most instances.
997usa (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020 | 05:18 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I'd say magnesium body panels qualifies as an exotic material, but to be clear -- my point was that the GT2RS is arguably NOT exotic because it's essentially a heavily modified 911, despite the fact that it's rare, compromised and uses exotic (my term) materials.
Old 06-18-2020 | 05:32 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Thinking about this a little more... Maybe the terms “supercar” and “exotic” should be considered disparate.

I mean, doesn’t it seem kind of silly to exclude the GT2 RS, literally the fastest production car in the world (where a track is concerned) from “supercar” contention, merely because it didn’t need to be hand-formed entirely from NASA-spec carbon-ceramic waffling and produced in batches of three a year to achieve that standing?
997usa (06-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Carrera S vs Turbo S visually...