Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order now or wait for GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020 | 07:02 PM
rgiles
AutoX

Default Order now or wait for GTS

I am starting the process of ordering a 992 cab with manual transmission. I recently heard the GTS may be coming later this year with a six speed. Anyone waiting for GTS? Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

If you want a car now, I would buy now. There’s always going to be a better newer model around the corner. If you really wanted a GTS though for many years, hold off.
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (06-15-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:20 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I'm waiting on GTS. If you'd rather have the GTS, wait. In the grand scheme, a few months is nothing. Presumably you have another car you enjoy in the meantime.
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:41 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Wait
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Don't get sucked into the GTS rumor mill. There's nothing to indicate that Porsche is going to deviate from the GTS formula of including and/or reducing cost for a few Carrera options, throw on center lock wheels, and a little power bump. The GTS is a Carrera, not a GT series. That means that it will get the seven speed and the turbocharged Carrera engine.

Wider? 6-speed? NA engine? All BS.

If you want to get a 911 now, get a Carrera S now. If you want to wait to see if you'll save a few bucks versus a nicely optioned S and are patient, wait for the GTS.
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:53 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

I have a 991.2 GTS and was in the same boat. Was considering waiting for a 992 GTS and even a 718 Spyder. Then I realized I can get a 992 Carrera S manual now, and spec it so that it’s basically like my current GTS but less expensive and better interior/infotainment, so I am trading my GTS for a Carrera S. I don’t need faster. The Carrera S is a rocket ship now.
The following 3 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
aggie57 (06-15-2020), detansinn (06-14-2020), SamD (06-15-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 07:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
Don't get sucked into the GTS rumor mill. There's nothing to indicate that Porsche is going to deviate from the GTS formula of including and/or reducing cost for a few Carrera options, throw on center lock wheels, and a little power bump. The GTS is a Carrera, not a GT series. That means that it will get the seven speed and the turbocharged Carrera engine.

Wider? 6-speed? NA engine? All BS.

If you want to get a 911 now, get a Carrera S now. If you want to wait to see if you'll save a few bucks versus a nicely optioned S and are patient, wait for the GTS.
There is more to a 991.2 GTS than you mention compared to an S so I assume it will be the same way for the 992 - wait. I skipped the CLs on my GTS as well as the alcantara - GTS cars could be optioned like all the others so I assume it will be the same way for the 992 - wait. And if you care about resale it will be higher on the GTS so I assume it will be the same way for the 992 - wait.
Old 06-14-2020 | 08:05 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I've got a MY15 (991.1) GTS Cab. It was my dealer's first GTS allocation and I'm in the same place you are, except I don't expect 992.1 GTS deliveries until late-2021 (as a MY22). But I'm still thinking about waiting. My current car is still great and it's a classic now (NA, MT). And there's always something just a bit special about the GTS. As others have said, it's not a GT car, but it is a special Carrera that's just different enough to wait for. I'm not a kid. I don't need a new car. And when I spend +$160K, it should be special. But that's me . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by hinckley:
CarmineGT3 (06-15-2020), detansinn (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 08:21 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

GTS allocations are a littler harder to get, discounts are typically lower (to non-existent) on a GTS which offsets some of the resale advantage. It's bit more of a PITA, but nothing like getting a GT car.

Depending on your dealer, it could take awhile. Maybe up to a year or even two, before it's in your hands.

I didn't want to wait - I wanted a car now. Life is short. Also, I'm not a major fan of sportdesign for the 992 -- it looks nice, but I think the 991.2 GTS sportdesign bumper was so much nicer than the standard 991.2 Carrera. I don't see the same difference with the 992 -- that was also part of the calculation for me.

If the timing is right, when it comes time to trade my 992 in, maybe it will work out for a 992.2 GTS.
Old 06-14-2020 | 09:12 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
GTS allocations are a littler harder to get, discounts are typically lower (to non-existent) on a GTS which offsets some of the resale advantage. It's bit more of a PITA, but nothing like getting a GT car. Depending on your dealer, it could take awhile. Maybe up to a year or even two, before it's in your hands.
Honestly, I think that these sort of statements are urban myths that have become Rennlist truths thru repetition. Many posters like to say that the GTS is not a real GT car (it's not), but that it has the limited allocations and discounts of a GT car (it doesn't). The GTS is just a well-optioned Carrera. I had a C4S on order when the 991 GTS was announced in September 2014. My dealer had no problem immediately switching the C4S order to a GTS order at the exact same discount percent and giving me their first allocation.

As I've said, I like the GTS. But it's not a GT3 and doesn't have a GT3's limited availability or discount structure. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
kwikit356 (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 09:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
Honestly, I think that these sort of statements are urban myths that have become Rennlist truths thru repetition. Many posters like to say that the GTS is not a real GT car (it's not), but that it has the limited allocations and discounts of a GT car (it doesn't). The GTS is just a well-optioned Carrera. I had a C4S on order when the 991 GTS was announced in September 2014. My dealer had no problem immediately switching the C4S order to a GTS order at the exact same discount percent and giving me their first allocation.

As I've said, I like the GTS. But it's not a GT3 and doesn't have a GT3's limited availability or discount structure. YMMV.
Nope, not an urban myth. It's true. I had a first run allocation of the GT4 back when it was near impossible to get one. Even then, I had a hard time getting a 991.2 GTS allocation when I tried to get one a few years ago. It was an incredible pain in the *** and I finally got tired of waiting. The allocations are not as plentiful as normal Carreras and if the timing is not right, getting a configurable allocation can be very difficult to impossible. At the time, there was only 1 or 2 allocations in the country. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and I saw the texts they sent with the PCNA rep.

My point is -- it's not like a Carrera where you pretty much can get one on demand. There is a little luck needed with the timing if you want to get it right when you want it.
Old 06-14-2020 | 09:35 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

The GTS won't have a six speed manual. If you want a six speed, you will have to get a GT3. The GTS will have a turbocharged engine with a bump in HP compared to the S and with the same transmission as the other Carreras.
Old 06-14-2020 | 09:55 PM
trips
Instructor

Wait if you can, simply for the sheer fact that the GTS will be a more powerful car than a Carrera S. Probably for the same price as well.
Old 06-14-2020 | 11:01 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
Nope, not an urban myth. It's true. I had a first run allocation of the GT4 back when it was near impossible to get one. Even then, I had a hard time getting a 991.2 GTS allocation when I tried to get one a few years ago. It was an incredible pain in the *** and I finally got tired of waiting. The allocations are not as plentiful as normal Carreras and if the timing is not right, getting a configurable allocation can be very difficult to impossible. At the time, there was only 1 or 2 allocations in the country. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and I saw the texts they sent with the PCNA rep.

My point is -- it's not like a Carrera where you pretty much can get one on demand. There is a little luck needed with the timing if you want to get it right when you want it.
All of this is true. I got an allocation only because I had an established relationship with the dealer. Even got 4% off of MSRP.
Old 06-14-2020 | 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The wait this time for a GTS trim might be longer than the usual cycle.

A little birdie has told me that COVID-19 has reshuffled PAG's timeline in terms of not only new model introductions, but mid-year refreshes (i.e. the "0.2" iterations) as well as certain model trims.

Just FYI.

Quick Reply: Order now or wait for GTS