Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order now or wait for GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020 | 02:50 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
ploy? that implies you are being cheated in some way. as has been discussed to death in other threads, gts is an options package with a power bump, for less cost than speccing those options on a carrera s. how is that a ploy? if those are options you would have specced, indeed it's the opposite.

yes, widebody is no longer one of the differences. the rest of the bits are still a great package, to some. and the gts badge is nice, too.

the power bump in 991.2 is substantial, too; larger turbos, etc. if you don't care, great, buy the base spec and be happy.
Yes, a ploy. That doesn't mean anyone is being cheated. Definition from the Oxford Dictionary: "A cunning plan or action designed to turn a situation to one's own advantage".....
Old 06-15-2020 | 02:53 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, a ploy. That doesn't mean anyone is being cheated. Definition from the Oxford Dictionary: "A cunning plan or action designed to turn a situation to one's own advantage".....
sure it does. "one's own advantage" has the clear implication of the disadvantage to the other party. you can choose to ignore this if you wish.

more importantly, you're also ignoring the substance of my argument.

Old 06-15-2020 | 03:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
sure it does. "one's own advantage" has the clear implication of the disadvantage to the other party. you can choose to ignore this if you wish.

more importantly, you're also ignoring the substance of my argument.
Politely I disagree. Turning a situation to one's advantage does not imply the party is necessarily disadvantaged; win-win is a good outcome.
Old 06-15-2020 | 05:56 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

To be blunt, the GTS is a largely marketing ploy. A very successful way to extract a few more $ for sure, but still mainly marketing especially now that all cars get the wide body.
Well, pricing strategies differ from market to market and I'm certainly not familiar with Porsche's strategy in Oz. I am certain that you're not familiar with Porsche's pricing strategy in the US. I had a well equipped C4S on order when the 991 GTS was announced. I immediately cancelled that order and replaced it with a equally equipped GTS for a lower price. And oh ya, they threw in a power kit for free.

I have a suspicion that the 992 GTS will be equipped and priced differently than the last few 911 GTSes. We'll have to wait to be sure. But to be blunt, for the last few 911 GTSes, you don't know what you think you know - at least in the 911's largest market.

Last edited by hinckley; 06-15-2020 at 07:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020 | 06:06 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drifting
agree. The 992 GTS will likely be less special than the 991.2 GTS, because all Carreras now have the same wide body, and with the current 992 S having so much torque.
None of us know whether the 992 GTS will be less special, but I have a hunch it will be different than the last few 911 GTSes. Look at the Panamera GTS and the Cayman GTS 4.0. Both of these cars have a significant engine improvement over the S models, not just a tack-on power kit. That changes the GTS's value proposition substantially and if I was to guess, Porsche will do something similar with the 992 GTS. I'm guessing that prior 911 GTSes won't provide much of a guide for the 992 GTS. But all this guess work is just conjecture at this point. As I keep saying, we'll need to wait and see.
Old 06-15-2020 | 06:19 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
Well, pricing strategies differ from market to market and I'm certainly not familiar with Porsche's strategy in Oz. I am certain that you're not familiar with Porsche's pricing strategy in the US. I had a well equipped C4S on order when the 991 GTS was announced. I immediately cancelled that order and replaced it with a equally equipped GTS for a lower lower price. And oh ya, they threw in a power kit for free.

I have a suspicion that the 992 GTS will be equipped and priced differently than the last few 911 GTSes. We'll have to wait to be sure. But to be blunt, for the last few 911 GTSes, you don't know what you think you know - at least in the 911's largest market.
Perhaps my use of the word ploy has got a few people upset, perhaps strategy would have been more agreeable.

As it happens I've bought new 911's in Australia and 1 new 911 in the US and I'm very familiar with their pricing strategies across both markets. While there are differences around standard spec. within a given model and in how options are treated in both the new and the 2nd hand market, my observation is that there's really little difference in how the GTS is positioned vs. the S. I do agree it does provide value if you want those options.
Old 06-15-2020 | 06:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I started out ordering a Targa 4S; however; when I got done specing it out I decided to see what a Targa GTS would cost the way I wanted it. Besides getting a nicer front bumper it turned out to cost less than if I had gone with the 4S and I got a better car so it was certainly better for me to get the GTS. Would the same be true when the 992 GTS comes out? Who knows but it really depends on what options and looks someone is after.
Old 06-15-2020 | 06:53 PM
trips
Instructor

Originally Posted by smiles11
No doubt. Much easier to wait for a particular trim when you own & drive a 911 now. Not sure if the OP is an existing 911 owner.
Very very true! I have a 991.2 gts which I love but also dropped an APR Stage1 tune to help bide the time until the 992 gts is announced and released. 554hp/546tq sure helps the cause! Here’s my oak green 991.2 on the left and an aventurine green 992 on the right. Not sure the 992 looks better now I see them side by side 🤣🤔🥰

Enjoy whatever is in the driveway gents!

Best,
Tom

Old 06-15-2020 | 07:01 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trips
Very very true! I have a 991.2 gts which I love but also dropped an APR Stage1 tune to help bide the time until the 992 gts is announced and released. 554hp/546tq sure helps the cause! Here’s my oak green 991.2 on the left and an aventurine green 992 on the right. Not sure the 992 looks better now I see them side by side 🤣🤔🥰

Best,
Tom

992 is screaming for the sport design front. One of several contributing factors to help my decision to move on from the 991.2
Old 06-15-2020 | 07:09 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trips

Best,
Tom

Oak Green is just the best. In person the 992 manages to have a presence that pic don't capture well. Both cars stunning but I'll take the color on the "old" one
Old 06-15-2020 | 07:13 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

I've also noticed that on the 991.2 gen cars, the paint on the bonnet seems to be a shade or two off compared to the bumper/fenders? And I have not seen that visually on the 992 so far. Did they change something on the 992? Maybe material?
Old 06-15-2020 | 07:27 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I do agree it does provide value if you want those options.
And that's all that we GTS-fans are saying. Nothing more.
The following users liked this post:
Drifting (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020 | 10:35 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I think a big part of the value component is whether you want sport design package.

On a Carrera S, you're looking at ~$5000 between the sport design fascia and side skirts. This coming free with the GTS provides a good bit of value.

I have a black car and I think standard fascia with SPASM lip looks great in black (though I do like sport design as well). Given the scrapes I've had already, I would have ruined a sport design painted lip. For me - the main appeal to the GTS is the Powerkit. We'll see what that actually ends up being (I'd love it if PK was basically just a tune).

Quick Reply: Order now or wait for GTS