Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 months in - Tire and Windshield - what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 5 months in - Tire and Windshield - what am I doing wrong?

In 33 years of driving, I have never had a flat tire, and only had one windshield (on a high SUV no less) that was hit with a rock to the point of needing to be replaced.

Since Feb 2020 and all of 2400 miles on my 992:
- I’ve hit a pothole (at 20mph in the dark) which blew the tire and scratched the rim - $1200 later - new tire, wheel and camera alignment, and rim polish to remove scratch. And I’m still trying to determine if it tracks the same as before the alignment as my confidence is shot.
- Today, from a distance of about 6+ car lengths ahead of me, a rock hit my windshield at 65mph and left what appears to be an expanding star, despite having windshield film added to the car when it was PPF’d.

At this point - repairs alone are running me $0.50 per mile and I’m expecting the windshield to take me closer to $1/mile.

I had heard Porsches where expensive to maintain - but this is getting out of hand.

Those of you who have had accidents - I feel your pain.

So much for my midlife crisis, I want a do-over.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:01 AM
Anthony992
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but that is all it is. On my last car I bent rims twice driving to work, so that path I went every day. The first time it happened when I was actively trying to avoid a patch of the highway that I knew was broken up. The second was on a pot hole right by my exit to the office park Drive. Naturally a week later it was filled. This is the danger of large wheels and low profile tires. Hopefully the bad luck is behind you and you can enjoy your car from here on out. If it makes you feel better I had gone years without having this happen on cars with low profile tires until the incidents I mentioned and I live in the North East.

oh, between me and my wife we seem to lose a windshield every couple of years. So just seems there is too much road debris and the right hit in the right place and goodbye windshield.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:12 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

No flats in 33 years, that must be some kind of record. I’ve had a handful in the last few years alone. The low profile run flats on my 540i are prone to pot hole damage. Sometimes the don’t lose air, but there’s a big bulge in the sidewall. I came back from a day of skiing at Whistler in February to find a flat on a Honda CRV, I hit a sharp rock on the way up. I had two tires punctured with 2 different screws on the same tire within 1 week back in 2016.

Bad luck on the windshield, I also had exoshield installed, I hope it stops smaller rocks from pitting the windshield.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:42 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

It happens. My windshield got blasted with two dings leaving PECLA delivery and a couple more driving back to SF. I let out a sigh... it’s just a car and these things can be fixed. Couple thousand miles of ripping up and down California, life is good.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 12:48 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I plugged a tire and suffered a rock hit requiring windshield replacement within the first 2 weeks of buying the GT4. I feel your pain.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:28 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

Picked up a screw in rear tire 1st month. Always try to look for positives: at least I didn't have to replace two tires
Old 06-13-2020, 11:58 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 461 Posts

My car had around 30 miles on it at the time of purchase and it already had 2 chips in the windshield. Getting a new windshield was included in the purchase agreement. That was going to happen this past week, but it turns out Porsche North America sent my dealership the wrong glass, so I should be getting it installed next week. I hope this windshield stays perfect for a bit longer than the windshield I had put on my 991 turbo cabriolet last summer. Two days after the new windshield was installed, it was hit by a rock, causing a quarter sized ding.

S#!t happens.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:28 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
In 33 years of driving, I have never had a flat tire, and only had one windshield (on a high SUV no less) that was hit with a rock to the point of needing to be replaced.

Since Feb 2020 and all of 2400 miles on my 992:
- I’ve hit a pothole (at 20mph in the dark) which blew the tire and scratched the rim - $1200 later - new tire, wheel and camera alignment, and rim polish to remove scratch. And I’m still trying to determine if it tracks the same as before the alignment as my confidence is shot.
- Today, from a distance of about 6+ car lengths ahead of me, a rock hit my windshield at 65mph and left what appears to be an expanding star, despite having windshield film added to the car when it was PPF’d.

At this point - repairs alone are running me $0.50 per mile and I’m expecting the windshield to take me closer to $1/mile.

I had heard Porsches where expensive to maintain - but this is getting out of hand.

Those of you who have had accidents - I feel your pain.

So much for my midlife crisis, I want a do-over.
I feel you man, but it's not your car..... my last car, a BMW 540Xi had not one, but two flats with in a period of a couple of months... And the rocks have attacked my 992 on more than one occasion such that even with my PPF on the entire front end, my front bumper has not one, but two minor nicks into the clear coat... Northern CA roads are a mess... mind you this is literally the wealthiest place in the entire world.. but some areas (Oakland, Berkley, San Francisco, and parts of the peninsula) have roads not even seen in Mexico.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:54 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

On the positive side - I keep looking at my 992 and seeing the cracked windshield and thinking that at least now it’s not perfect so I might as well drive it and take more risks.
The following 3 users liked this post by mferris:
992Sam (06-13-2020), Metalblond (06-13-2020), SamD (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

First nick/ dent is the most painful in a new car.

Now you can move on and enjoy the car with no worries.

Take it as a positive.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:22 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I feel you man, but it's not your car..... my last car, a BMW 540Xi had not one, but two flats with in a period of a couple of months... And the rocks have attacked my 992 on more than one occasion such that even with my PPF on the entire front end, my front bumper has not one, but two minor nicks into the clear coat... Northern CA roads are a mess... mind you this is literally the wealthiest place in the entire world.. but some areas (Oakland, Berkley, San Francisco, and parts of the peninsula) have roads not even seen in Mexico.
Sam. I still have my 17 540xi and I’ve never lost so many tires before in my life on any other car. The roads in my area don’t typically have really bad pot holes and I mostly use it for city driving. I think it’s the run flats, I hate them. The experience with that car convinced me wheel and tire insurance was a good idea for the 992 and I’ve never purchased it before.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (06-14-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:08 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
Sam. I still have my 17 540xi and I’ve never lost so many tires before in my life on any other car. The roads in my area don’t typically have really bad pot holes and I mostly use it for city driving. I think it’s the run flats, I hate them.
I agree. The 750 xDrive that I bought last year came with run-flat tires and those things were hard as a rock. Every pothole I hit felt like it was going to knock the fillings out of my teeth. And on my first roadtriip out of town, I blew a tire and bent a rim. Since then, I've moved on to a set of BBS rims and Michelin PS4S tires and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Run-flat's are a nice idea in theory, but I also hate them.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I agree. The 750 xDrive that I bought last year came with run-flat tires and those things were hard as a rock. Every pothole I hit felt like it was going to knock the fillings out of my teeth. And on my first roadtriip out of town, I blew a tire and bent a rim. Since then, I've moved on to a set of BBS rims and Michelin PS4S tires and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Run-flat's are a nice idea in theory, but I also hate them.
I had run-flats on my Mini when I first got it. Even without run-flats it is a stiff, unforgiving suspension, but with the fun-flats it was not much fun at all. I totally agree—nice idea in theory, but in practice not so much.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:26 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
That's a really sharp BMW. Love those BBS wheels. Agree 100 percent about RFTs. I'll never buy a car with them. Every vehicle we've test-driven over the years that was running them was uniformly worse across the board in ride quality and handling than a non-RFT equivalent (where possible).

Regarding OP's flat tire and windshield ding, been there, done that. We've been fortunate with my wife's 2019 CTT (17 months and clean so far). The 992 only has 600 miles and is still ding- and hole-free. Luck of the draw. A few years back, I went through a string of poor automotive karma, and had three nails / screws (one in a sidewall) and a fat-*** 1/2" windshield ding / chip in my SS that had me questioning if I had somehow angered the Performance Car Gods.

It'll smooth out over time, I'm sure. Sucks to be in the middle of it right now, though. We can all sympathize. But like other posters mentioned, the cherry is popped. Drive the heck out of it now.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:40 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
On the positive side - I keep looking at my 992 and seeing the cracked windshield and thinking that at least now it’s not perfect so I might as well drive it and take more risks.
This.... Drive it a lot and when something happens, it’s because you’re enjoying the car. Garage queens don’t get cracked windshields or rock chips.

Quick Reply: 5 months in - Tire and Windshield - what am I doing wrong?