Lemons to Lemonade Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 06:12 PM
sik_sd
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 12 Posts

Fixed, version 2.0

The following 7 users liked this post by sik_sd:
Dan Nagy (06-12-2020), G650 (06-12-2020), JCWLS3 (06-14-2020), mathus7 (06-15-2020), russbert (06-12-2020), SamD (06-13-2020), The-Dream (06-16-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-14-2020, 01:48 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

I want your coffee table. But I don't want to go through what you did to get it.

Hit a black cow once, nearly 30 years ago, in my six-month-old 1991 Sentra SE-R. Country road; deep night; no moon; fiddling with the stereo; stupid kid. Dead-on at about 40 mph (she'd escaped through a hole in some fencing, and was just standing in the road). Killed the cow and tore the heck out of my car, nearly ripped the hood clean off. I was uninjured and lucky, just like you. Thank God for that.

Cheers on your fixed-up 992. Looks like they did a great job.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:29 AM
PJSD
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, I live near the same area... Was this at night? Glad you're safe and damage fairly minimal
Old 06-15-2020, 01:51 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me 25 years ago in an 86 cabriolet! The only damage was the headlight and the trim ring around it. If I had hit it any sooner, I would have been toast.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:08 AM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

Did the deer survive? I saw a deer get hit when I was in San Diego a few days ago, seeing him struggle on the ground made me want to go vegetarian. ):
Old 06-15-2020, 10:46 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Here's my 991.2 Cab after last year's encounter with a deer. Fender, bumper, light, radiator, hood, driver's side door and rocker panel.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by sik_sd
Went out for a drive several weeks ago, coastal San Diego area. While looping back to the house driving through Rancho Santa Fe I hit a deer. I have lived here for 30 years and during that time I think I have seen 3 deer, maybe. Anyway I was going about 40 mph when the thing, a full grown male came onto the road from the passenger side at a full run about 10 feet in front of me. I hit the brakes and he almost made it ...almost. I caught his left hip on my drivers side front corner, spun him around which literally beat the sh*t out of him. I know this because his sh*t was down the whole side of car. Fortunately it was more of a deflection then full on hit so the damage was largely cosmetic, although the light bucket and fender took one for the team. Car was perfectly drivable so went home and called insurance etc. They were great, not even a question where it was going to be fixed (Amatos - No better in San Diego). Even though there was no damage to the front left wheel insurance authorized a new wheel out of caution. Work was done perfectly the first time, took 6 weeks including reapplication of PPF.

So the lemonade part is that I now had a fifth wheel. Figured I could leave it in the garage to collect dust or?
So I decided to make a coffee table out of it

This reminds me of people stealing Panamera headlights to grow pot.

https://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/02/...a-grow-lights/

Glad that it all worked out for you.
The following users liked this post:
sik_sd (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 07:18 PM
sik_sd
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSD
Wow, I live near the same area... Was this at night? Glad you're safe and damage fairly minimal
Broad daylight, about 930a
Old 06-16-2020, 04:16 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

I've dealt with diminished value in CA before (was a total nightmare). Will you be looking into a DV claim?

I almost hit a deer, I just got lucky. Is there a certain time of year they are worse? I know dawn and dusk are worst for them.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:11 PM
st22
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I had the pleasure of hitting a deer once while on a road trip across the USA. I was looking for somewhere to eat in a little college town called Lawrence, Kansas, which is also the location of the Hallmark greeting card factory. I was right in the middle of town when a deer literally launched itself right at my car. It hit on the drivers side right around the tire area and its *** hit and broke the drivers door window and slammed against my face. It also sprayed urine down the side of my car and then it bounded off into the woods on the other side of the road to die. I called the police, but they couldn't find it.

I can tell you that with some duct tape and the clear liner from a cheap shower curtain set, you can fashion a fairly usable temporary door window.

I didn't even know there were deer in Kansas. Turns out they're all over the place there.
LOL. I went to undergrad there, Univ of Kansas, and ultimately the Medical school in KC. My daughter now attends KU in Lawrence. I've never seen deer during my four years there and neither has my daughter, who took a course in KC once a week last semester so she had to drive 45 min into the city. Glad everything worked out for ya ok.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:41 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by st22
LOL. I went to undergrad there, Univ of Kansas, and ultimately the Medical school in KC. My daughter now attends KU in Lawrence. I've never seen deer during my four years there and neither has my daughter, who took a course in KC once a week last semester so she had to drive 45 min into the city. Glad everything worked out for ya ok.
Weird. I was stuck in Topeka for a few days, waiting for the BMW dealership to get a replacement mirror and window for my driver's door. I had pretty much nothing to do, so I decided to go to the only strip club I could find which happened to be some place called The Outhouse just east of Lawrence and basically in the middle of a cornfield. I saw deer all over the place when I was driving there. I had never been to a BYOB strip club and wound up drinking a little too much so I went in the bathroom and was about to drink some water from the faucet when security ran in yelling, "No! No! No!" I guess it was well water and there's a reason the place is called The Outhouse. I think they said the place was built on the site of an outhouse for a farm.

Quick Reply: Lemons to Lemonade Story