Sponsored by:

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalblond
They want the plates on the front so that radar detectors can bounce off the flat surface and they can get a read, so maybe the sticker isn't a bad idea after all- although I hate the idea of putting a sticker on.
Actually that is not it at all.. Radar and laser can bounce off almost any surface.

The actual reasons some states still require front plates which actually goes back quite a ways in history: When police patrol parking lots for stolen cars, or want information on a parked car. If you only have a rear license plate and are backed in a spot, the police officer would need to get out of the car and do a check on the plate to get the number. Which takes time, and exposes the officer due to departing the car. It is really only for identification no matter how you are parked. Also many government facilities, when pulling into a facility require it. That is also the reason, no matter the state most government, state, and official cars have both front and back plates.

Ohio has a front and rear plate law, but I do not put front plates on any of my cars, never a problem when pulled over. Many states have gone away from it as a law, and also cost less to produce 1 plate rather than 2 and still charge the same for tags/renewals.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Actually that is not it at all.. Radar and laser can bounce off almost any surface.

The actual reasons some states still require front plates which actually goes back quite a ways in history: When police patrol parking lots for stolen cars, or want information on a parked car. If you only have a rear license plate and are backed in a spot, the police officer would need to get out of the car and do a check on the plate to get the number. Which takes time, and exposes the officer due to departing the car. It is really only for identification no matter how you are parked. Also many government facilities, when pulling into a facility require it. That is also the reason, no matter the state most government, state, and official cars have both front and back plates.

Ohio has a front and rear plate law, but I do not put front plates on any of my cars, never a problem when pulled over. Many states have gone away from it as a law, and also cost less to produce 1 plate rather than 2 and still charge the same for tags/renewals.
Thanks for correcting me. A police officer had told me that about the radar- but maybe he was just joking/teasing when he said it.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:07 PM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace

Originally Posted by Metalblond
Thanks for correcting me. A police officer had told me that about the radar- but maybe he was just joking/teasing when he said it.
You’re both right.

Earlier guns were wonky, the flat surface a front plate provided allowed for a more accurate read. Largely not an issue anymore, unless it’s a real backwater department with 25 year old guns (more of those than you’d think though... you’re bound to encounter at least one on any decent-length road trip).

And the bit about departments wanting front plates for parked cars facing outwards when officers are performing drive-by visual sweeps is spot-on. Even if a car is moving, it means officers don’t have to u-turn and follow to get the plate number.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:36 AM
amiracle91
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This study (https://tti.tamu.edu/news/study-sugg...ment-agencies/) is what Maryland referenced recently to kill a bill that removed the front plate restrictions. The TL; DR from the study was 1) help police find cars 2) enforce parking laws 3) get tolls. Despite the millions it would save the tax payer (only having to make one plate, shipping and keeping track of the plates) the resolution died in committee.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:37 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I have not received my new 992 yet so I don't know if it will work, but rare earth magnets may be a solution to retaining the front license plate without drilling holes.

I installed magnets on my 991.2 and found that they are an excellent method for attaching the front plate. For installation, you have to remove the front fascia and glue on four magnets on the inside surface that correspond with the mounting locations on the plastic license plate holder. Then glue four magnets on the holder and you're done. I used rubberized magnets on the license plate holder so that they would not scratch the front fascia whenever you need to install the front plate.

Jason
Old 03-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Magnets are a really clean way to mount your front license plate and if you are ok with the work associated with taking the bumper off and gluing magnets then it can be a nice option. For those just wanting something out of the box we make a mount that fits perfectly on the 992. A proprietary spring loaded mechanism makes on and off super easy. Here is a product link:

https://carbonio.com/collections/por...se-plate-mount
Old 03-30-2021, 05:02 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Magnets are a really clean way to mount your front license plate and if you are ok with the work associated with taking the bumper off and gluing magnets then it can be a nice option. For those just wanting something out of the box we make a mount that fits perfectly on the 992. A proprietary spring loaded mechanism makes on and off super easy. Here is a product link:

https://carbonio.com/collections/por...se-plate-mount
Will you bring to market a Carbonio solution for 992 Turbo models? If so, when exactly?
Old 03-30-2021, 05:55 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Will you bring to market a Carbonio solution for 992 Turbo models? If so, when exactly?
Could be as early as the end of May. We are testing a design right now that will work not only on the Turbo but on all models with forward camera and or front Adaptive Cruise Control. So far so good.
The following users liked this post:
NVRANUF (03-31-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 01:08 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

I sold my 21 C2S cab so I have a pretty much brand new Carbonio available. Please PM me if interested. Thx

Quick Reply: Front License Plate