Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020 | 07:34 PM
lalalife
Intermediate

Default Aftermarket Stereo Options

Hello all, I am thrilled to have picked up a new C2, coming over to Porsche for the first time from an M4 Competition.

I was able to find a build in existing inventory that ticked all of my must-haves (sport exhaust, sport Chrono, exclusive design wheels, sport-plus seats, etc.), but was missing either of the upgraded stereos. I assumed in a $120k car, the base system would be livable, but am surprised to report it's worse than what you would find in a Nissan rental car. I have found a ton of threads on which system is better, or why it shouldn't matter, but this is a daily driver and serviceable music/audio book listening/and phone calls that come with daily commutes in traffic are a reality for me.

With that, my question: nearly all of those prior threads have a number of responses indicating "just go aftermarket, it's way better" and "just go to your trusted stereo installer", without indicating what those aftermarket systems are, or what reputable shops they have worked with (I live in Los Angeles). What systems have some of your installed with success?

I have been recommended swapping the existing 8 speakers with Audison Prima's of the same size (so that everything remains OEM in size) along with installing an 8x85 watt Audison Prima amp. Has anyone had experience with Audison?

Thank you and I look forward to being a part of the community!

Last edited by lalalife; 05-21-2020 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Title was confusing
The following 2 users liked this post by lalalife:
SantaFePorsche (05-22-2020), The-Dream (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020 | 08:07 PM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Nothing personal, but have you actually listened to the base system carefully? No, it's no living room system, but
hell, there is a lot of road noise and engine noise, plus there is the wonderful sound of that engine....

It's your money and if you want to spend 5k on a high end system that is worth nothing in resale.... go for it... whatever IT is...
Old 05-21-2020 | 08:28 PM
The-Dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by lalalife
I assumed in a $120k car, the base system would be livable, but am surprised to report it's worse than what you would find in a Nissan rental car.
Honestly all of these car manufacturers base sound systems are an absolute joke these days.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020 | 02:53 AM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

I have the same basic question as lalalife. My 2020 Euro Delivery was cancelled - and had spec’d the Bose system. I’m now doing a 2021 ED - and rethinking a few minor things.

Is there really much difference between the base audio system and the Bose? Is there merit in just getting the base audio system - and then upgrading later if needed?

Ask any audiophile about Bose and you are likely to get the the response “no highs, no lows, must be Bose” . . .
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SantaFePorsche
I have the same basic question as lalalife. My 2020 Euro Delivery was cancelled - and had spec’d the Bose system. I’m now doing a 2021 ED - and rethinking a few minor things.

Is there really much difference between the base audio system and the Bose? Is there merit in just getting the base audio system - and then upgrading later if needed?

Ask any audiophile about Bose and you are likely to get the the response “no highs, no lows, must be Bose” . . .
The Bose sucks but it's good enough for what I ask from it, which isn't much. I always drive with PSE on and it's so loud in there, audiophile stuff goes out the window.

At high volumes, the Bose is boomy and has etched, sibilant highs. I'm fairly certain the Burmester addresses those issues. Just didn't fit on the priority list, budget wise, for me.

Bose and Burmester have their own DSP which may act funny with aftermarket speakers. Regardless, I suspect it makes more sense to upgrade a Base than spend money on Bose and change out the drivers (other than the resale advantages of having Bose on the spec sheet).
Old 05-22-2020 | 08:19 AM
PBM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SantaFePorsche
Ask any audiophile about
......and you are in real danger of some self-certified-twit talking utter nonsense especially if they refer to themselves self by that tag . Watch for the danger signs like talking about "critical listening" and the likes

Sure back on serious ,
Sure, in my home I have spent a lot on decent hifi, because I like music....and in a suitable environment sometimes spending premium money an some top quality equipment yields better results.
I got the Bose system in the 992 I bought as to be honest I was not expecting much of a listening room experience in such a car and the increment over the base system was not really much. The price step up for the Burmester system didn't appeal to me in THIS car and I find the Bose a good enough ( I have not suffered any hardware issues as of 10 months ownership)
At time of ordering I could neither listen to the Bose nor the Burmester system in the 992 , but did in 2 Panameras . Yes I will admit I did think the Latter was better in the Pana ....but I was not overly wowed to take a punt and spec in my 992. If it irked me bad enough on delivery I would update with another offering ( I find Focal stuff in cars very good ) and if I had been overly worried I would have opted for the top factory supplied system if only to not stress the though of an auto electrician shredding the interior of my now pride and joy . Often its down to the type of music one listens to
dhirm5 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020 | 09:27 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I would spec the Burmester but the price is just ridiculous. It fits in my budget, and I’ve gone back and forth on it, but I always come to the ridiculous price. Maybe if the upgraded stereo in my BMW (for a fraction of the cost) wasn’t better than the Burmester, it might make me change my mind. Porsche is quite stubborn on this option. Think how many Burmester systems they would sell if it were only a $2000 up charge from Bose?

I play music all the time in the BMW, and rarely in the 911. I just listen to the exhaust note mostly, sometimes talk radio or books.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
964-50 (12-02-2020), kwikit356 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020 | 11:30 AM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

......and you are in real danger of some self-certified-twit talking utter nonsense especially if they refer to themselves self by that tag . Watch for the danger signs like talking about "critical listening" and the likes

so true!!!

I have heard the Bose and it’s fine - it was in my last 911. I reality, I found it didn’t matter when driving. I have not been able to hear the base audio system. Very curious about it!

Old 05-22-2020 | 11:38 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

I am on the fence here also. I asked my dealer if I could listen to the two systems. They did not have any stock radios in any of their cars. I know it’s pretty much impossible to use aftermarket parts on a Bose system so I have the same question, what aftermarket systems would upgrade the stock setup?
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:09 PM
lalalife
Intermediate

Thank you all for your answers so far. I agree that there are a ton of threads on which system is better or "worth it" and why.

My question is really... once you are where I am—sitting with a base stereo and finding it lacking—what actions have you taken successfully and what would you recommend to others? Perhaps additionally, what actions have you taken that you would suggest others avoid?

Has anyone been able to retrofit one of the OEM (Bose/Burmester systems), have they replaced individual speakers, bought entire new systems (if so which ones—anyone with experience with Audison Prima)?
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:18 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

You might check with MusiCar - they did custom tweeters for the 991 and I added those to my Bose system - made a nice difference. Search the threads and if you have an issue, let me know and I’ll try to help.

They have worked a lot with 911’s and people have been pleased with their customer service and quality of solutions.
kwikit356 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:27 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Might be someone in the 991 threads, I'll check.
Old 05-22-2020 | 01:42 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Good article on the Burmester system vs Bose here to lend to this thread incase someone doesn't see the other thread I posted on it.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/...20-porsche-911
ark205 (01-18-2022)
Old 05-22-2020 | 02:49 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Good article on upgrading the stock stereo in a 991.1. Probably very similar to 992. Also, a lot of threads in the 991 forum upgrading Bose. Seems like it's not the end game either. I will probably save myself $1600 and use it to upgrade the stock system.

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/blog...system-upgrade

Last edited by inastrangeland; 05-22-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2020 | 07:03 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lalalife
Thank you all for your answers so far. I agree that there are a ton of threads on which system is better or "worth it" and why.

My question is really... once you are where I am—sitting with a base stereo and finding it lacking—what actions have you taken successfully and what would you recommend to others? Perhaps additionally, what actions have you taken that you would suggest others avoid?

Has anyone been able to retrofit one of the OEM (Bose/Burmester systems), have they replaced individual speakers, bought entire new systems (if so which ones—anyone with experience with Audison Prima)?
I agree that the base system is junk.

I’d echo what Dan Nagy said above. Call Musicar NW (Portland) and speak to Nick Akin. They do a lot of work on Porsche’s. They also have an installer in the LA area (Moe) who can do the systems.

Here’s a long thread on an install.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html

Heres one on the tweeter replacement and other installs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9665...r-upgrade.html

Here’s Nicks contact details. Shoot him an email or call. I don’t know what affect Covid has had on the shops hours etc.

(503) 208-6246

nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Musicar Northwest
812 SE Division PL
Portland OR 97202
United States

Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by Benedict14:
rokkerkory (12-04-2022), Rxpert (05-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo Options