Sponsored by:

992 CS or 991.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Luis Dos Santos
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msile
OP. What are your thoughts on the community response?? You have been strangely silent.......any questions?
To be honest I think I’m left more confused than before. There are advantages and disadvantages to both...I have driven both...my perceptions:

Both interiors are nice places to be, although I do prefer the newer 992’s interior.

Steering feedback is better in the 992.

Raw visceral driving feel will go the the 991.2 TTS

Exterior looks will go to the 992 for me.

Value for money would go the the 991.2 TTS as I expect the 992 to depreciate drastically in its first 3 years.

My head says 991.2 TTS....my heart, my desire is for the newer car...they say you shouldn’t ever buy a sports car with your head...because ultimately it’s about how they make you feel...but at the current new car prices I can’t simply make decisions hap hazard....

For a little more than a well specced 991.2 CS you’re in used Ferrari 458 territory...but then where do you stop?

This Covid Lockdown is somewhat of a blessing to my indecisive mind....I still need more time...
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jukedogg
I'm in the same boat, new to Porsche and still don't own one, but I have made my mind up, I will own a 911 within the next year. I can't decide if I should get a new 992 Carrera 4S or a lightly used 991.2 TTS. I drove the 992 C4S and I loved it, but I'm not sure if it is going to feel fast enough since I've got a new X5M Competition on order and it'll haul *** for what it is. I know the driving dynamics of any Porsche are going to completely demolish the X5M. I'm not comparing a SAV with a 911, but I am comparing straight line speed/power. If I get into the 992 after driving the X5M and don't feel like I'm going much faster, I could see myself wishing I had the 991.2 TTS, but I won't know for sure until I get the X5M and I have no idea when that will happen...guessing October. I haven't driven a 991.2 TTS, hopefully I remedy that soon. I think the total cost of ownership is going to be lower in a lightly used 991.2 TTS, unless I break a ceramic rotor. I could be wrong, once the 992 TTS comes out, the value of the 991.2's may tank. The entire time I was driving the 992 C4S I was smiling, so it probably is fast enough....maybe I just answered my own question, maybe not. Maybe this should be a poll? I'm not sure how to set that up, but I'd be curious to see how many people would go 992 C4S vs 991.2 TTS
curious .. why 4s vs 2s? and based on weight of the X5M .. an S is going to be just as fast if not faster than the X5M .. also the S is going to handle way better than the X5M .. it will be easier to drive faster and handle at faster speeds than the X5M
Old 05-19-2020, 12:32 PM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by Luis Dos Santos
To be honest I think I’m left more confused than before. There are advantages and disadvantages to both...I have driven both...my perceptions:

Both interiors are nice places to be, although I do prefer the newer 992’s interior.

Value for money would go the the 991.2 TTS as I expect the 992 to depreciate drastically in its first 3 years.

My head says 991.2 TTS....my heart, my desire is for the newer car...they say you shouldn’t ever buy a sports car with your head...because ultimately it’s about how they make you feel...but at the current new car prices I can’t simply make decisions hap hazard....

For a little more than a well specced 991.2 CS you’re in used Ferrari 458 territory...but then where do you stop?

This Covid Lockdown is somewhat of a blessing to my indecisive mind....I still need more time...
i think you have all the points .. if you want speed and don't care about the new tech .. go 991.2 TTS ... if you care about everything else .. go 992 .. couple things you should also keep in the back of your mind .. how often are you going to use the difference in performance on each car.. if you are going to be living with the 992 and not using all that performance.. go 992 .. also if you don't mind a tune .. you can get up to an additional 60 hp on the 992 if you tune it.. which should get you near to the 991.2 TTS
Old 05-19-2020, 12:42 PM
jukedogg
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get wrapped around the axle with the X5M. I'm not comparing that to a 911, that is preposterous, but I am thinking about power/speed. I would like my sports car to feel a good bit faster than my X5M and I think a 992 C4S would accomplish that, I know a 991.2 TTS would. I was thinking 4s because there are a few on lots near me and that is what I test drove. I could see all wheel drive coming in handy as I drive through all kinds of weather, long distances, snow, mountains, heavy rain. The C4S felt like a rear wheel drive car to me and I was able to whip the *** out whenever I wanted to. I like going fast in a straight line too, and all wheel drive helps with that. Do you think the C2S is a better choice than C4S?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:47 PM
pw-sherman
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

The biggest difference for me is that on a twisty road I enjoy pushing the Carrera S more than the Turbo. The speeds you can get up to in the turbo are nuts and I end up using way less throttle which to me is less enjoyable. That is purely a personal preference though and I'm sure there are others that have no problem pushing the Turbos to their limit, I simply don't have the skill or courage to do that
Old 05-19-2020, 12:54 PM
doug992
Racer

Don't get wrapped around the axle with the X5M. I'm not comparing that to a 911, that is preposterous, but I am thinking about power/speed. I would like my sports car to feel a good bit faster than my X5M and I think a 992 C4S would accomplish that, I know a 991.2 TTS would. I was thinking 4s because there are a few on lots near me and that is what I test drove. I could see all wheel drive coming in handy as I drive through all kinds of weather, long distances, snow, mountains, heavy rain. The C4S felt like a rear wheel drive car to me and I was able to whip the *** out whenever I wanted to. I like going fast in a straight line too, and all wheel drive helps with that. Do you think the C2S is a better choice than C4S?
i'm not sure, but i went with the 2S because it has less drive train loss and my daily is 4WD with Electronic Locking Rear Diff .. so i figured i would never drive it in snow.. plus my wife has a JGC .. and since all 992's hve the same wide body i wouldn't need to go 4S. I wouldn't worry about the difference with the X5M and S .. my daily is over 1000hp and the 2S is more fun to drive .. I also have a 200hp motorcycle so i know what you mean by the difference in speed and the adjustment .. personally i went with the S because its the only thing that comes with a manual .. but if i could had a 992 TTS in a manual i would have waited for that because i assume you're an adrenaline junky like myself .. but with the tech and looks on the 992 .. i wouldn't go back to a 991
The following users liked this post:
jukedogg (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 01:26 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

I understand your thought process. I have a 700HP E63s that is as quick or quicker than a 992S but I miss the handling of a lighter car. And I can always tune the 911 if I want more power. As for 2 or 4wd, that is a personal decision. I live in Colorado where we get snow, cold, rain, etc, and most of my time here has been with RWD cars in the snow. I wanted a lighter car and I know the 992 has much better handling in bad weather than the RWD front engine cars I owned (E30M3, E46M3). That and I have AWD cars if It gets really bad. So, I optioned my 992 with less weight as a priority instead of AWD. That's the benefit and cost of ordering a new car. You get exactly what you want, no compromise and at this price point, you should get what you want.
jukedogg (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 03:15 PM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by pw-sherman
The biggest difference for me is that on a twisty road I enjoy pushing the Carrera S more than the Turbo. The speeds you can get up to in the turbo are nuts and I end up using way less throttle which to me is less enjoyable. That is purely a personal preference though and I'm sure there are others that have no problem pushing the Turbos to their limit, I simply don't have the skill or courage to do that
I agree. When I've driven a Turbo, I have to get out of the corner, get the car squared up and then mash it. The car simply has more power than I can handle while cornering so I end up coasting around the corner and then mat it when the car is pointed straight. At which point, the car gathers speed at an incredible rate and I brake early because it is going so fast.

The 991 Turbo is faster than the 992 C4S I have, no question, but I will guarantee you I'm faster in the C4S and my lap times are lower.
jukedogg (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

I'm in the same boat, new to Porsche and still don't own one, but I have made my mind up, I will own a 911 within the next year. I can't decide if I should get a new 992 Carrera 4S or a lightly used 991.2 TTS. I drove the 992 C4S and I loved it, but I'm not sure if it is going to feel fast enough since I've got a new X5M Competition on order and it'll haul *** for what it is. I know the driving dynamics of any Porsche are going to completely demolish the X5M. I'm not comparing a SAV with a 911, but I am comparing straight line speed/power. If I get into the 992 after driving the X5M and don't feel like I'm going much faster, I could see myself wishing I had the 991.2 TTS, but I won't know for sure until I get the X5M and I have no idea when that will happen...guessing October. I haven't driven a 991.2 TTS, hopefully I remedy that soon. I think the total cost of ownership is going to be lower in a lightly used 991.2 TTS, unless I break a ceramic rotor. I could be wrong, once the 992 TTS comes out, the value of the 991.2's may tank. The entire time I was driving the 992 C4S I was smiling, so it probably is fast enough....maybe I just answered my own question, maybe not. Maybe this should be a poll? I'm not sure how to set that up, but I'd be curious to see how many people would go 992 C4S vs 991.2 TTS
For what it's worth I traded in an 2019 M5 Competition for a 992 C2s.

The M5 is objectively as fast, or faster than the 992 and yet the 992 feels like the faster car to me. It might have something to do with the dynamics of the 992 -- less body roll, more immediate turn in, much better steering feel, far superior transmission in the PDK. The entire package feels harder and more immediate. The engine feels more responsive with less lag and the power feels more immediately accessible.

The BMW transmission programming is less aggressive in Sport mode and unusable in the more aggressive modes. Shifting, though impressive, is still a mushy automatic compared to PDK.

I have never once felt that I was making a parallel move, and definitely not a downgrade, when it comes to performance. It's been a complete upgrade in every respect. I really don't think you'll regret the 992 in comparison to an X5M which will be softer, slower and more boaty than the M5 Comp I traded in.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Dos Santos

Really?

The 991.2 TTS feels very clinical.

As digital as the 992 is and has become, it is still more visceral than a 991 TTS.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:04 AM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

I am pretty sure that I would be faster in my turbo than my 992 on the track. It's no slouch around corners. The differences are nuanced, not extremes. I love them both.
"Even though it's not a track car, the 991.2 Turbo S comes pretty close to matching a GT3"
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-nurburgring/
Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

With every Gen, the 911 turbo is always considered the flagship of the range. The best combination of power, speed, everyday usability. Every single model below it doesn't match it for the overall combination.
I could see someone going 992 if they absolutely love the new looks, or the steering, or the Mondo freak center screen for Johnny Carson re-runs, ...I kid, they're both great. Just beware of the nubbin!!
msile (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by msile
I am pretty sure that I would be faster in my turbo than my 992. It's no slouch around corners. The differences are nuanced, not extremes. I love them both.
"Even though it's not a track car, the 991.2 Turbo S comes pretty close to matching a GT3"
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-nurburgring/
And that's on different tires folks! At VIR and many other tracks they are nearly identical. And that's with TTS running on P Zeros. Then, factor in the ride quality, Burmester, creature comforts etc. and you've got a winner.
Not to mention on the street the TTS packs the best punch of all.

Quick Reply: 992 CS or 991.2 Turbo S