Sponsored by:

992 CS or 991.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
This must be trolling. Any owner of a 991.2 that drives a 992 will be smacked in the face with the improved driving dynamics. Of course, all of the owners here that have traded their cars, and all of the experts could be wrong. Lol.
The comparative was to the 991.2 TTS, not a 991.2. At least that's how I read the Turbo comment. This one of those "I knew Pres Kennedy and you are no Pres Kennedy".
The 992 is an awesome car but it is not a 991.2 TTS does not mean it is not right for you.
The following users liked this post:
Outlaw (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:38 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Not really, and my sentiments on layers of chassis comfort are not alone. And not a fan of electronic steering.

Peak torque coming on @2300 rpm vs 1600 makes car lazy on street. Carreras are clearly undertuned and that will be addressed in GTS and turbo, so weary of manufacturers tuning software for big $$$.

Just calling it as I see it and feel it, draw whatever conclusions you want.
I am pretty sure the 991 had electric steering (correct me if I'm wrong) I feel the steering is much better on the 992 but that could also be partly due to the 991.1 was 4wd. Also the turbos in the past have always been larger on the GTS and turbo models and some have complained they are a bit more laggy. I do feel like since the 992 has a smaller motor and turbos than my 991.1 turbo did, it seems more responsive, especially around town. This could also be due to the new 8 speed PDK is geared lower in first.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:01 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,503 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by msile
I have both cars. The 991.2 Turbo is a beast. Period. It does everything well while being comfortable. Zero squeaks and rattles (unlike my 992). Also love the interior. To me it does not look dated as others have stated (perhaps it is better appointed). The 992 is the daily. It's a great daily. The steering is sharper (not by much in regular driving) and the pdk is better (not by much again). The tech is definitely better when it works (door handle, sunroof, garage door opener, programmable buttons). I drove both the standard Carrera and the S extensively and settled for the standard (spent the rest in options) as I loved the engine response and being able to wring out the engine more and also because I already have a fast car. I would go for the best bang for the buck. Having said all this the 996 turbo is the most fun for me
As I just got into a 991.2 Turbo S, I don't regret it one bit. Yes I do like the overall interior design of the 992, but not enough to change over just yet. There are things about that car (the rear end for example) that are still growing on me and I'm just not sold yet, compounded by the various quality control issues people are having (blown speakers on delivery...REALLY???) - this ain't a Chevy. Was the QC dept at Zuffenhausen asleep at their desks? Granted, wider front track etc. all helps the dynamics, and it's a great car. Looking fwd to the GTS and we'll see how the TTS looks in the flesh another year or two down the road.
On the 992 I am not loving:
Quality control issues
Rear end
Tachometer
Nubbin
Random keyless go door handle behavior
I do love the rear fenders and front fenders though. Plenty to work with.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
The comparative was to the 991.2 TTS, not a 991.2. At least that's how I read the Turbo comment. This one of those "I knew Pres Kennedy and you are no Pres Kennedy".
The 992 is an awesome car but it is not a 991.2 TTS does not mean it is not right for you.
Sorry, but this was the post:

Driving 991.2 and 992 back to back, surprised at lack of steering and chassis feedback on 992. Finally succumbing to the lemmings on comfort a lot like M series BMW. Maybe GTS brings it back.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz
I am pretty sure the 991 had electric steering (correct me if I'm wrong) I feel the steering is much better on the 992 but that could also be partly due to the 991.1 was 4wd. Also the turbos in the past have always been larger on the GTS and turbo models and some have complained they are a bit more laggy. I do feel like since the 992 has a smaller motor and turbos than my 991.1 turbo did, it seems more responsive, especially around town. This could also be due to the new 8 speed PDK is geared lower in first.
There are inconsistencies in his posts. You're right, the 991 gen has electric steering -- it was the first generation to get it. Naturally, Porsche is getting better at tuning their steering and the 992 has pretty decent feel in comparison to earlier systems. That's been pretty universal among reviewers - he is the first I've seen claim that the old EPS is better. Now I do agree that hydraulic is still better, but you'd need to go back to the 997 to get that old feel back.

If the complaint is about size and chassis dynamics - it's a little ironic to compare to the Turbo since that's a big, heavier AWD car with more lag. Still fun, but more of a brutal, blunt instrument IMO.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:19 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Not really, and my sentiments on layers of chassis comfort are not alone. And not a fan of electronic steering.

Peak torque coming on @2300 rpm vs 1600 makes car lazy on street. Carreras are clearly undertuned and that will be addressed in GTS and turbo, so weary of manufacturers tuning software for big $$$.

This thread is about comparing the two generations and cars based an smilar pricing. Your comments are not adding any value here.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:30 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

The steering on my 992 is beyond amazing...not sure how anyone could drive a 991 vs a 992 and come up with anything not glowing about the 992 in comparison, unless you're in an 911r...
Old 05-18-2020, 05:09 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 87 Posts

Road and Track's Matt Farah: The Turbo just gets you arrested faster.
AlexCeres (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:29 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Sorry, but this was the post:

Driving 991.2 and 992 back to back, surprised at lack of steering and chassis feedback on 992. Finally succumbing to the lemmings on comfort a lot like M series BMW. Maybe GTS brings it back.
Read the original poster first comment. It was comparing the 992 to the 991.2 Turbo S. That was what I was commenting on. I read it again but I'm getting up there so my brain could be fried. But I stand by my comments, the Turbo S .2 is in a different league.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Read the original poster first comment. It was comparing the 992 to the 991.2 Turbo S. That was what I was commenting on. I read it again but I'm getting up there so my brain could be fried. But I stand by my comments, the Turbo S .2 is in a different league.
Yep, and I was commenting on the post that was made, and stand on my comments. Lol.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Great Dan.
Dan Nagy (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:17 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

have you actually driven both cars? i've driven both cars and i have the same sentiment of every one in this thread. Your comments remind me of my cousin who likes to read magazines and watch YouTube video's and all of a sudden he is an expert on everything
rk-d (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

OP. What are your thoughts on the community response?? You have been strangely silent.......any questions?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM
jukedogg
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msile
OP. What are your thoughts on the community response?? You have been strangely silent.......any questions?
I'm in the same boat, new to Porsche and still don't own one, but I have made my mind up, I will own a 911 within the next year. I can't decide if I should get a new 992 Carrera 4S or a lightly used 991.2 TTS. I drove the 992 C4S and I loved it, but I'm not sure if it is going to feel fast enough since I've got a new X5M Competition on order and it'll haul *** for what it is. I know the driving dynamics of any Porsche are going to completely demolish the X5M. I'm not comparing a SAV with a 911, but I am comparing straight line speed/power. If I get into the 992 after driving the X5M and don't feel like I'm going much faster, I could see myself wishing I had the 991.2 TTS, but I won't know for sure until I get the X5M and I have no idea when that will happen...guessing October. I haven't driven a 991.2 TTS, hopefully I remedy that soon. I think the total cost of ownership is going to be lower in a lightly used 991.2 TTS, unless I break a ceramic rotor. I could be wrong, once the 992 TTS comes out, the value of the 991.2's may tank. The entire time I was driving the 992 C4S I was smiling, so it probably is fast enough....maybe I just answered my own question, maybe not. Maybe this should be a poll? I'm not sure how to set that up, but I'd be curious to see how many people would go 992 C4S vs 991.2 TTS
Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by jukedogg
I'm in the same boat, new to Porsche and still don't own one, but I have made my mind up, I will own a 911 within the next year. I can't decide if I should get a new 992 Carrera 4S or a lightly used 991.2 TTS. I drove the 992 C4S and I loved it, but I'm not sure if it is going to feel fast enough since I've got a new X5M Competition on order and it'll haul *** for what it is. I know the driving dynamics of any Porsche are going to completely demolish the X5M. I'm not comparing a SAV with a 911, but I am comparing straight line speed/power. If I get into the 992 after driving the X5M and don't feel like I'm going much faster, I could see myself wishing I had the 991.2 TTS, but I won't know for sure until I get the X5M and I have no idea when that will happen...guessing October. I haven't driven a 991.2 TTS, hopefully I remedy that soon. I think the total cost of ownership is going to be lower in a lightly used 991.2 TTS, unless I break a ceramic rotor. I could be wrong, once the 992 TTS comes out, the value of the 991.2's may tank. The entire time I was driving the 992 C4S I was smiling, so it probably is fast enough....maybe I just answered my own question, maybe not. Maybe this should be a poll? I'm not sure how to set that up, but I'd be curious to see how many people would go 992 C4S vs 991.2 TTS
I had a similar thought process myself. I'm getting a 992, but acknowledging that in a straight line it will be down relative to a .2 TTS. However, *to me*, that is the only disadvantage (from a performance perspective--the total cost of ownership is reasonable, but not something that I considered).

Good luck--you'll love whichever you end up with!

Quick Reply: 992 CS or 991.2 Turbo S