992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every option for the 992 reviewed Part 2 - Nick Murray

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020 | 06:57 PM
doug992
Racer

my interpretation of what Nick said about the fire extinguisher is its cheaper to get one aftermarket .. but the job porsche does to mount it .. it is worth it if you are on the track
Old 05-09-2020 | 07:00 PM
C6Z06to911992
Intermediate

Originally Posted by doug992
.. but the job porsche does to mount it .. it is worth it if you are on the track
A track car, yes, I fully agree.
Old 05-09-2020 | 07:06 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

my interpretation of what Nick said about the fire extinguisher is its cheaper to get one aftermarket .. but the job porsche does to mount it .. it is worth it if you are on the track
It’s always worth it. Have you never seen a car on fire? Or seen a bad accident? I had a few occasions where it might have been a good thing if I was first to the scene. Anyway, I hope that you never have that happen to you, and chances are it won’t. But, for as little as it costs, it could provide some real help in a bad situation.
Old 05-09-2020 | 07:17 PM
doug992
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
It’s always worth it. Have you never seen a car on fire? Or seen a bad accident? I had a few occasions where it might have been a good thing if I was first to the scene. Anyway, I hope that you never have that happen to you, and chances are it won’t. But, for as little as it costs, it could provide some real help in a bad situation.
yeah but he isn't saying don't get one .. he is saying get a cheaper one since porsche is charging a premium for it
Old 05-09-2020 | 11:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C6Z06to911992
A track car, yes, I fully agree.
Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
If my car is on fire, the first thing I do is get out of the car and run. Far far away.

No way in hell am I going to unlatch a fire extinguisher and try to put out the fire.

Track car, or not. Doesn't matter.

I see fire. I run. The other way.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Noah Fect (05-10-2020), smiles11 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-12-2020 | 03:17 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Nick doesn't like Alcantara. I'm with him. Same as his obsession for dark blue 911s. I'm glad everything is leather in my 991.1 except the roof liner, which is Alcantara. Which I really love - because its not touched very often and gives a very subtile dual tone to the roof lining.
I've seen that it's a quite expensive option now on the 992 configuration but then the A-pillars are with Alcantara as well - which is nice. The non-alcantara roof lining looks IMHO cheap in comparison.
The sun-visors are an extra 400€ if you want them in Alcantara. Which I'm not shure I should check. The ones in my 991 are plastic and fine to me.
What are your opinions on the Alcantara subject?
Nick goes in even more detail here:
Old 05-12-2020 | 12:51 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schorsch
Nick doesn't like Alcantara. I'm with him. Same as his obsession for dark blue 911s. I'm glad everything is leather in my 991.1 except the roof liner, which is Alcantara. Which I really love - because its not touched very often and gives a very subtile dual tone to the roof lining.
I've seen that it's a quite expensive option now on the 992 configuration but then the A-pillars are with Alcantara as well - which is nice. The non-alcantara roof lining looks IMHO cheap in comparison.
The sun-visors are an extra 400€ if you want them in Alcantara. Which I'm not shure I should check. The ones in my 991 are plastic and fine to me.
What are your opinions on the Alcantara subject?
A Nomex glove makes a better connection to a alcantara steering wheel and shifter than ones sheathed in leather. If you’re tracking your car at the level that requires flame-resistant safety gear, alcantara makes sense...otherwise it’s ugly, doesn’t wear well and has no place in a street car. My opinion only, as I realize much of the automotive-buying public has bought into the marketing notion that alcantara in performance street cars looks cool.
The following 5 users liked this post by gcurnew:
aggie57 (05-12-2020), C6Z06to911992 (05-12-2020), rk-d (05-12-2020), SamD (05-12-2020), Schorsch (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020 | 01:31 PM
C6Z06to911992
Intermediate

Well said ⬆️
Old 05-13-2020 | 12:43 AM
swagon
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcurnew
A Nomex glove makes a better connection to a alcantara steering wheel and shifter than ones sheathed in leather. If you’re tracking your car at the level that requires flame-resistant safety gear, alcantara makes sense...otherwise it’s ugly, doesn’t wear well and has no place in a street car. My opinion only, as I realize much of the automotive-buying public has bought into the marketing notion that alcantara in performance street cars looks cool.

Pretty strong statement to say it does not have place in a street car.

Also, stop spreading misinformation regarding ugly wear and tear on Alcantara, people. Just don't eat cheeseburgers in your car, wipe the surface with a damp MF towel regularly, and you're good to go. I have had Alcantara steering wheels for over 5 years now, restored them from ugly to basically like-new and kept them like that since then. Takes me 15 mins to clean it, and that's like once every two three months. I can also report good wear on seat bolsters. I would say that seat looked newer than a black leather seats with worn out dye from getting in&out. Don't really know what y'all doing in your interiors.

Think Porsche's use of Alcantara/Race-Tex is pretty classy, especially in 991 cars on the lower dash and side panels and seat inserts. McLaren's style is too much with everything covered in fuzzy stuff, yeah.
The following 2 users liked this post by swagon:
OK911 (05-18-2020), smiles11 (05-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Every option for the 992 reviewed Part 2 - Nick Murray