Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbos and Tune: Is that the only difference between a Base 992 Engine and S Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:36 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

This denial of warranty for tuning modifications/exhaust system:
Do you have facts regarding P denying warranty work for items other than those modified?

I have been hearing this fear mongering for some time and want facts, not anecdotal evidence....
Old 05-01-2020, 08:50 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak
This denial of warranty for tuning modifications/exhaust system:
Do you have facts regarding P denying warranty work for items other than those modified?

I have been hearing this fear mongering for some time and want facts, not anecdotal evidence....
I think all you'll get are anecdotes. That's the nature of the question. Yes, there have been stories of Porsche denying claims. Certainly we know that VW flags cars TD1 if ECU tunes are detected, which effectively brands the powertrain.

Now I seriously doubt a tune would blow an engine. And I seriously doubt an engine will suffer a catastrophic failure on its own. But if you are in that tiny fraction of people that suffer a catastrophic failure, it's PCNA or maybe just Germany that ultimately decide on major warranty claims and they will do forensics. If they discover a major modification relevant to a failure, then you need to be prepared to eat it.

Case in point - I'm considering lowering my car. I know that if the struts fail prematurely, I need to be prepared to pay for the fix myself.

Most times, that's never an issue. I've modified almost every car I've owned and haven't had a problem. My issue is with a dealer flatly telling people that the warranty is completely secure. That's BS. Anyone who modifies their car in a real way knows they are playing with fire and they accept that risk, no matter how small that risk may be.

As far as ECU tunes - most tuners operate well within a safety envelope to avoid problems and these engines are tough. It's more a question of being prepared if you are just plain unlucky.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
CanAutM3 (11-10-2021), JCWLS3 (05-02-2020), Master Deep (11-10-2021)
Old 05-02-2020, 02:43 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Great stuff, rk-d. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Very helpful.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:53 AM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 72 Posts

It’s been a few months since I posed this question. Wondering if there is more information available now?

specifically, I am most-interested in knowing if the only difference between the base and S engine is the turbos and the tune, or are there additional, supporting differences (fuel system, internals, forged vs cast, etc)?

I’m not trying to turn this into a “should I mod my car” or “will my warranty be void if....”. Plenty of threads on here about that.

My question (now): How are the two engines specifically different besides output?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:10 PM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3RsInCarrera
It’s been a few months since I posed this question. Wondering if there is more information available now?

specifically, I am most-interested in knowing if the only difference between the base and S engine is the turbos and the tune, or are there additional, supporting differences (fuel system, internals, forged vs cast, etc)?

I’m not trying to turn this into a “should I mod my car” or “will my warranty be void if....”. Plenty of threads on here about that.

My question (now): How are the two engines specifically different besides output?
Nine months later...still curious. There are fifty videos on youtube explaining the difference between the 2021 Toyota Supra and 2022 Supra engine, but nobody seems to know or talk about what are the differences in the engine in a 992 Carrera base and S. I have read elsewhere that the turbos are different (the S models are larger in diameter). We know the power output is different. What makes up that difference besides the turbos and the tune? Anyone have a good resource? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2021, 01:30 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Nine months later...still curious. There are fifty videos on youtube explaining the difference between the 2021 Toyota Supra and 2022 Supra engine, but nobody seems to know or talk about what are the differences in the engine in a 992 Carrera base and S. I have read elsewhere that the turbos are different (the S models are larger in diameter). We know the power output is different. What makes up that difference besides the turbos and the tune? Anyone have a good resource? Thanks!
Maybe you not finding anything is simply because there’s nothing to find, that there are no other difference between base and S engines besides the turbos and the tune…

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-10-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:04 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

An interesting note is that the 992 GTS is the engine that Porsche developed and the 992 S is the GTS detuned by Porsche, which is just kind of funny since it came out first. However, the base engine does have smaller turbos, as well as other chassis, suspension, and brakes differences. I'm not sure other than the turbos in what way the 992 base engine differs from the S.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:06 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I am also curious about the internals on the base and S, in the past they have had differences in terms of piston type, connecting rods ect. Basically the 992 block is designed to be built up to GTS levels with stock base internals? is there additional cooling or oil delivery changes?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:42 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,593 Likes on 573 Posts

Turbochargers, the calibration, and the "S" logo all over the car.

-Charles@M
The following 8 users liked this post by M Engineering:
3RsInCarrera (11-10-2021), balucipher (10-28-2022), Master Deep (11-10-2021), por356 (10-28-2022), rmb1973 (06-23-2024), surquhar (11-10-2021), timjab (11-10-2021), tourenwagen (10-28-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-10-2021, 11:25 PM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Thanks Charles! I was hoping you would reply! I was reading your thread and looking at your website today and thought you might have some first-hand knowledge to share!

So a base and an S with your Pure 800 upgrade and your ECU tune produce near-identical power and torque output? No fuel system upgrade or anything else required? That's pretty much what I would have guessed because it's likely less expensive from a supply chain, economy of scale and assembly line simplification perspective to make the engines identically, with only minor differences for the specific application.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:12 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,593 Likes on 573 Posts

Thanks Charles! I was hoping you would reply! I was reading your thread and looking at your website today and thought you might have some first-hand knowledge to share!

So a base and an S with your Pure 800 upgrade and your ECU tune produce near-identical power and torque output? No fuel system upgrade or anything else required? That's pretty much what I would have guessed because it's likely less expensive from a supply chain, economy of scale and assembly line simplification perspective to make the engines identically, with only minor differences for the specific application.
No fuel system upgrade required on the Pure 800's.
That would be a really fun test to do. If all conditions are the same, in theory they should be essentially identical based on what we currently have found and know. You'd need to run identical fuel, on the same day, same dyno, same settings, same temps and same calibration changes to the tables.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
3RsInCarrera (11-11-2021), tourenwagen (10-28-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 01:02 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

On the 991.2, the engine was identical between base, S , and GTS. Zero difference. Porsche’s part number system proved this. It is all the turbo’s and the tune,

I would imagine the 992 followed a similar model.
The following users liked this post:
3RsInCarrera (11-11-2021)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:44 AM
BrianD185
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default S engine

That's precisely my question. Specifically, what are the engine differences between the two? There is alot more data available about other manufacturers' engines and the differences between versions and variants than there seems to be concerning Porsche engines it seems. Maybe I just don't know where to look. There was a great article on here about the differences between the 991 motor and the 992 motor. Just curious about the base and S is all.

Bigger turbos, more boost, bigger injectors and different cylinder heads and cam timing is what I was told. Plus some options - pasm, better brakes. I have the S. Lots of passion around this question - any 911 is an amazing car. Some argue the base is a perfect balance. It might be. But if you have 911 money and are buying a sports car, why not get the S?.

Old 10-28-2022, 12:34 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
It might just be the tune. The bigger turbos on 991.2 come only with GTS and the power kit.

992 S has bigger turbo than Base. 992 GTS has same turbos as 992 S, basically just a tune difference for the GTS in this generation. Buy the one you won't, don't plan on buying the lower model and tuning up to the higher, that is a fools game. Despite what people on the internet and some tune vendors claim, Porsche can determine that the car was tuned if they want to.

Last edited by malba2366; 10-28-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:42 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianD185
Bigger turbos, more boost, bigger injectors and different cylinder heads and cam timing is what I was told. Plus some options - pasm, better brakes. I have the S. Lots of passion around this question - any 911 is an amazing car. Some argue the base is a perfect balance. It might be. But if you have 911 money and are buying a sports car, why not get the S?.
With this type of rational, why not get the turbo-S ?

Everyone has their own individual sweet spot in terms of performance vs dollar value proposition. There are no bad choices.
The following users liked this post:
por356 (10-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Turbos and Tune: Is that the only difference between a Base 992 Engine and S Engine?