Sponsored by:

My 992 Story Part I & II

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020 | 05:53 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Default My 992 Story Part I & II

PART I

After a long wait. I took deliver of my 992. Some of you may remember, but I posted a few months back wondering if it would be possible to cancel my 992 C2 order and subsequently place a new order for a C2S after coming into some extra funds. Mostly to add on the extra options it allows (PDCC, RAS, SPASM). I wanted to share my experience. A lot to be learned IMO from my experience, and for those looking to purchase.

I spoke to my dealer, they were okay with me cancelling & reordering. However, they asked if I would like to wait for the C2 models to arrive on the lot before making a final decision. To compare it against a fully loaded C2S on their lot. With my C2 on order, I added PCCB & sport design while I waited for a dealer C2 to arrive. I figured, if I decide to keep it, I'm going to load it up.

Long story short, I decided to KEEP the C2 I had ordered and have not regretted it one minute. The value I was able to put into the big ticket items on my C2 were well worth the money spent. I may have a unicorn C2 with ceramics & sport design, but it is such a joy to drive. I have loved every minute of it.

PART II

Here begins some of the headaches of my ownership with my C2. I had planned to take my car to a high end reputable ceramic/ppf shop here in the bay area. However, during the process of picking up the car. The dealership sold me on a few items.. two of which I totally regret. Disclaimer: though I may get responses like "well you should of known that" or "never buy add-ons from a dealer", the way my dealership described the work being done (along with having it rolled into my loan). Made it a "no-brainer" decision in my mind. Which you will see, was not.

FIRST - the dealer tells me they can paint correct & ceramic coat the car. Only for $1,200. Too good to be true you say? Well you're right! They did not do any paint correction, they just slabbed on a bunch of sealant without polishing any of the swirling along with some other stuff I find out later.. spoiler: I got a refund for this

SECOND - never did I plan to PPF. I haven't had great experiences in the past, however, the dealer sold me on this as well. They said it's a seamless look & you won't even notice it's there. They charged me $3k for it and I agreed after looking at some of their other work. What a nightmare this will become... spoiler: I got a refund for this

THIRD - I opted for the 10 year/100k warranty. Mostly because I was buying the "time" rather than the miles. This was my one decision I do not regret. Only $4,200 rolled into the loan, and I will have a warranty until 2030.

First, the PPF was taken to my dealership twice to "fix" bubbles, hazy spots, and peeling edges that were capturing dirt. I couldn't sleep at night knowing the PPF on my car was terrible.. not to mention they add door cup PPF & door edge guard PPF (WHY?!). They did not do anything to prep the car for the PPF & "ceramic". You can see swirling all over the car, and I later find out when I take my car to the ceramic/ppf shop in the bay area, they didn't ceramic coat the car either. You could still see the adhesive lines from the transport film, swirling everywhere on the car, AND I find out after my shop removes the PPF. There were clear coat imperfections created by the moisture in the transport film creases. Something that cannot be removed without some extra work being done. My dealer just buffed a couple spots and then slapped on a glorified sealant and called it ceramic coating.

This is all well documented btw.

After some lack of communication, the GM @ my dealership decided to refund me on the work they did. Also agreeing to allow my ppf/ceramic guy remove the PPF.

Long story short. PPF was removed successfully, had a stage II paint corrected, extra correction for the clear coat imperfections with heat lamps and thermal heat guns, extended PPF on the rear quarter panels, and two coats Kamikaze/ISM ceramic. After the car was finished, picking it up was a dream come true, and all of my nightmares have come to an end. The car is now everything I had imagined it would be when taking delivery.

Enjoy...

The end

Photos of inspection:

Seams aren't tight

Visible dirt catchers

Bubbling galore

Dirt catcher

Not seamless

Zero paint correction done

Door cup & door edge PPF??? Didn't ask for this.

Small sample of swirling everywhere

Small sample of adhesive residue leftover from transport film

Photos of the clearcoat imperfections caused by the factory transport film. I questioned these lines to the dealer (after the PPF was installed) and they told me that it was the PPF that needs to cure. And I need to "leave it in the sun" to have the lines "disappear". Not the case as you can see. These are on the clearcoat

PPF removal successful

The following photos are from the notorious 991 clearcoat issues from the factory protection film being applied "too soon" after finishing the car

Here is the extended PPF

Paint corrected for extended PPF

Finished I

Finished II

Here is a detailed look of the before & after shots to correct the clearcoat adhesive lines created by the factory transport film. An alternative to "baking" the car at a paint shop. Heat lamps and infrared thermal heat guns can be used to correct.

b4

after

b4

after

b4

after

b4

after

Here is a look at the paint correction job at work.

Some of the tougher correction spots need extra attention. Fine wet sanding is needed.

after

b4

after

Polishing the panels to complete the job +++

AND AT LAST. WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR! THE COMPLETED JOB

************************************************************************ *****************************************************

The moral of my story, and what I hoped to accomplish posting this for everyone. Is to learn from my mistake. DO NOT LET YOUR DEALERSHIP TOUCH YOUR CAR. They are not in the business to do detail work. Especially to the degree in which I was expecting. I would go as far as to say, don't let them remove the transport film and let your correction shop do it properly with steamers.

In closing. I still love my dealership & the guys over there. So there are no hard feelings, especially now that the car is 100%. I can finally enjoy my car as intended

Last edited by smiles11; 06-04-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Adding final photos
The following 15 users liked this post by smiles11:
997usa (04-30-2020), Blue911Heaven (04-30-2020), dhirm5 (04-30-2020), evanbahr (11-14-2023), Gables (04-29-2020), Gadgetman (05-01-2020), kwikit356 (04-30-2020), msile (04-30-2020), Noah Fect (04-30-2020), pelucidor (05-05-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (04-30-2020), Redrider (04-30-2020), SantaFePorsche (06-07-2020), Schwarz992C4S (06-06-2020), slwong23 (04-30-2020) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2020 | 11:05 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Thanks for this. I had wondered about the factory PPF, so this is quite valuable to me.
Old 04-29-2020 | 11:22 AM
swagon
Instructor

No pics of the car at all???
The following 6 users liked this post by swagon:
Dirty Jacket (05-01-2020), Drizz (04-30-2020), Dzu (06-07-2020), gcurnew (05-01-2020), JCWLS3 (04-30-2020), markchristenson (04-30-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2020 | 03:58 PM
Drizz
Racer

Wow. Glad you were able to get refunds for things where you weren't completely satisfied. Good customer service.
The following users liked this post:
SantaFePorsche (06-07-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 04:43 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks for this. I had wondered about the factory PPF, so this is quite valuable to me.
I would say this was dealer installed PPF and not Factory installed PPF.
Old 04-30-2020 | 04:52 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Thank you for sharing
And car looks Beautiful !!
Old 04-30-2020 | 05:02 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I do not think this was a factory PPF, I think it was done by the dealer prior to delivery.

I assume most dealers have someone do this for them (a local shop), but evidently this dealer does it themselves?

Glad it worked out. and looks great!

Also - I think you have the sports design pack in front and the regular bumper on the rear (if I am seeing that correctly). I didn't know that was an option (meaning you could do the front and not the back on the configurator).
Old 04-30-2020 | 06:11 PM
Golfster
Instructor

Turned out great. Good to see you back here.
Old 04-30-2020 | 06:44 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

looks awesome... who did the final detail work and paint correction?
Old 04-30-2020 | 06:48 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

that looks fantastic. well done.
Old 04-30-2020 | 07:00 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

The paint correction and PPF work look great. Glad it’s sorted and have fun on the road. Congratulations.
Old 04-30-2020 | 10:22 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

What a unique C2 build. Truly a unicorn -- you won't find one in a thousand equipped with SD and PCCB. Really cool stuff.

Sorry for your travails. But in the end, it sounds like it worked out. Plus, posts like yours keep me waffling back toward ordering a 2021 C2. After several back-to-back C2 / C2S drives, I agree with you on every. Single. Point.

Still: Horsepower.
Old 04-30-2020 | 10:59 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Very nice car...IMHO the PCCB really light up on a 911 and will pay dividends in the lack of brake dust forever.

I know there are many that can learn from your experience, especially as it relates to how you handled it with the dealer to come to the right resolution.
Old 04-30-2020 | 11:28 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Many have expressed a concern about the lack of limited slip differential [LSD] in the C2. Was this a consideration for you and did you notice any issues related to this during your test drives?
Old 05-01-2020 | 01:00 AM
Gadgetman
Rennlist Member

Wow! Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you got your C2 the way you wanted it.

Quick Reply: My 992 Story Part I & II