Sponsored by:

At-Home Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:11 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 161 Posts
Default At-Home Delivery

Heard from my dealership that my 911 will be delivered remotely or via at-home delivery. The car will be sent by flatbed to my home and just need to sign the paperwork.

Anyone else has done at-home delivery recently?

Also, any ideas if it's worth having the dealership do the usual prep and detailing? I was told this is optional and wondering if I should just have them skip this process. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (04-19-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 PM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 313 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by macmac
Also, any ideas if it's worth having the dealership do the usual prep and detailing? I was told this is optional and wondering if I should just have them skip this process. Thanks!
Prep and detail should not be a "option"....as in... I hope they are not implying that you would pay extra for it.

In regards to having them do it, depends upon what your are planning on doing with the car. If you were planning on having someone put PPF or having Ceramic coating put on, I would pass on having them detail the car. They will probably add more imperfections during the process that your shop will need to paint correct more before the treatment.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:34 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
Prep and detail should not be a "option"....as in... I hope they are not implying that you would pay extra for it.

In regards to having them do it, depends upon what your are planning on doing with the car. If you were planning on having someone put PPF or having Ceramic coating put on, I would pass on having them detail the car. They will probably add more imperfections during the process that your shop will need to paint correct more before the treatment.
No, they're not saying I pay for it, but if I prefer they say it can be skipped.

Definitely interested in getting ceramic coating and partial ppf (front/hood and high impact areas), but I haven't researched this yet and I'm already itching to drive the car after waiting about 5 months for it.
SamD (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Don't let a dealership detail your car. Ever.
The following 4 users liked this post by LexVan:
992Sam (04-19-2020), hamerans (04-10-2020), JonnyD72 (04-10-2020), touringGT3 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:50 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I had home delivery completed about 2 weeks ago. The interior of my Carrera S cab was completely wrapped in plastic, including the seat, steering wheel, dash and center console. My SA had the paperwork sent to me, I signed in front of him, gave him the check and took delivery of the car.

It was done being mindful of social distancing regulations for our county.

Great overall experience and would recommend my SA Sam from Redwood City Porsche (formerly Carlsen) wholeheartedly.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm not as OCD as others, but yea, I'd prefer the car not get unwanted swirl marks and other issues. Any ideas what the "prep" step includes?

Originally Posted by diononiz
I had home delivery completed about 2 weeks ago. The interior of my Carrera S cab was completely wrapped in plastic, including the seat, steering wheel, dash and center console. My SA had the paperwork sent to me, I signed in front of him, gave him the check and took delivery of the car.

It was done being mindful of social distancing regulations for our county.

Great overall experience and would recommend my SA Sam from Redwood City Porsche (formerly Carlsen) wholeheartedly.
The same social distanced process was described to me by my SA/manager. Did it mean you also had the prep and detail skipped?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 PM
thunderhill
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I got mine home-delivered today. Coincidentally, it's from Redwood but my SA is Jason, though.
I asked him not to wash my car and he triple-checked if I was sure While it wasn't washed before delivery, I still saw some swirl marks
Anyway, it was good experience and I would recommend it!
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by thunderhill
I got mine home-delivered today. Coincidentally, it's from Redwood but my SA is Jason, though.
I asked him not to wash my car and he triple-checked if I was sure While it wasn't washed before delivery, I still saw some swirl marks
Anyway, it was good experience and I would recommend it!
Congrats @thunderhill ! Pics or it didn't happen.

Guess this is now the norm, or at least during this COVID-19 lockdown/stay-at-home period.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

I was offered this. I'm going to wait til shelter in place is done. No point getting it now - can't really drive it anyway.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

This is the best advice. Also even though the car is new have it paint corrected prior to PPF and ceramic. Even new cars off the boat have imperfections.
detansinn (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 02:43 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

Unless your dealership brought the independent owner of the best detail and PPF shop in town in-house, and had him set up his own department. In this city at least, the Porsche dealer does top-notch work at competitive prices.
detansinn (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:00 AM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not as OCD as others, but yea, I'd prefer the car not get unwanted swirl marks and other issues. Any ideas what the "prep" step includes?

The same social distanced process was described to me by my SA/manager. Did it mean you also had the prep and detail skipped?
yes I will get a full detail and walk through later.
touringGT3 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:16 AM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

I had the option for at home delivery opted to meet at the pizza place 2 blocks down instead and did the full transaction there
touringGT3 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 AM
touringGT3
Pro

Yea, at-home delivery is very convenient, at least during these times. My dealer is also 60+ miles away from me so this is perfect.

So, leaning towards skipping both prep and detail. Would be fun to unwrap the car myself and make a video of it. But if anyone thinks the "prep" process shouldn't be skipped please advise. I also asked my SA to clarify what's involved with that process.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:23 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Yea, at-home delivery is very convenient, at least during these times. My dealer is also 60+ miles away from me so this is perfect.
Hmm, I may be the ONLY one who does NOT want home delivery. Why? Because my dealer is 50 miles away and the detail shop is 50.5 miles away (there are just down the street from each other).
But mine was also supposed to have been built starting today and finishing next Friday so I know that's NOT going to happen so I'm still up in the air about any dates at this point. I will try and contact my SA via his mobile on Monday.

Quick Reply: At-Home Delivery