992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When will 2021 production begin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020 | 11:58 AM
Drizz
Racer

Default When will 2021 production begin?

Anyone know? I placed an order in late-Feb for a May build that was scheduled for July 24 delivery. With the current global pandemic production has halted and the tracker now shows mid-Aug delivery. No big deal...more important things to worry about. What I’m now wondering is if production stays halted for another month I’m pushed to mid-Sept delivery or later. At what point does my order become a ‘21 model, if at all?
Old 03-28-2020 | 01:32 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I don't think anyone has the answer to any of these questions, including Porsche themselves. Over the past few years, MYs have usually flipped for ongoing models (i.e. not models like the newly announced Turbo S) around July or August. But I would guess all bets are off this year and you won't be able to begin figuring out the answers you're looking for until production re-starts. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2020 | 01:42 PM
Drizz
Racer

Originally Posted by hinckley
I don't think anyone has the answer to any of these questions, including Porsche themselves. Over the past few years, MYs have usually flipped for ongoing models (i.e. not models like the newly announced Turbo S) around July or August. But I would guess all bets are off this year and you won't be able to begin figuring out the answers you're looking for until production re-starts. Good luck.
you’re probably right. I was looking for when is typical, which you answered, but as you say it’s likely going to be different this year.
Old 03-28-2020 | 01:50 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drizz
you’re probably right. I was looking for when is typical, which you answered, but as you say it’s likely going to be different this year.
FWIW I’m in the same boat—early March order, May lock date, late-July delivery. But all that is totally up-in-the-air now. Although I get the sense that orders are being cancelled (which in normal circumstances might results in an earlier delivery) the shutdown, and how long it lasts, most likely (IMO) mean a later-than-originally-scheduled delivery date. I’ve actually thought that it may end up being a 2021 MY vehicle.

It’s strange. On the one hand I’m excited about the car when considered in isolation, but when thinking about it in the context of the moment it’s completely unimportant. It’s become a distraction from reality as much as anything.

Peace,

Mark
The following users liked this post:
Drizz (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020 | 02:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by markchristenson
FWIW I’m in the same boat—early March order, May lock date, late-July delivery. But all that is totally up-in-the-air now. Although I get the sense that orders are being cancelled (which in normal circumstances might results in an earlier delivery) the shutdown, and how long it lasts, most likely (IMO) mean a later-than-originally-scheduled delivery date. I’ve actually thought that it may end up being a 2021 MY vehicle.

It’s strange. On the one hand I’m excited about the car when considered in isolation, but when thinking about it in the context of the moment it’s completely unimportant. It’s become a distraction from reality as much as anything.

Peace,

Mark
Yes, I agree it’s a distraction from cabin fever. I wouldn’t want to take delivery of a car right now anyway.

I just read about a woman who is making masks for the local hospital. Incredible - taking her talent of sewing to make masks. She needs T-shirts to make them, so I am going to take mine over to her today. I also volunteered to cook and take meals to those sick. Perhaps we can all make a little effort to find out what our neighbors are doing to help and pitch in. Maybe some of us can find a way to donate some of our resources to those in need, too. Instead of looking away, let’s stare at in the face and offer comfort.

...off the soap box.
The following 8 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
aggie57 (03-28-2020), Andyx73 (05-23-2020), detansinn (03-28-2020), macanspnw (03-29-2020), Metalblond (04-01-2020), rangerfan94 (03-28-2020), TennisGuy (03-28-2020), WellDressedCar (03-29-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-29-2020 | 02:34 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

As soon as Covid-19 is settle down..
Old 03-30-2020 | 10:05 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by hinckley
Supply of parts between MY 2020 and MY 2021 are probably the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if any production after July or August is MY 2021. Especially if a price increase is announced for the MY 2021 cars as a way to cover losses sustained due to plague-related shutdowns.
Old 03-30-2020 | 11:49 PM
SamuelJames
Banned

It'll be interesting to see how the following weeks (and months) unfold regarding the production line. I'm in a similar situation - I have a Mamba Green Macan due to be built mid-April, with an early July delivery (Melbourne, Australia). However, (as expected) due to the current climate there's no doubt that significant delays will be highly probable. Suffice it to say, patience is definitely required in circumstances like this.
Old 03-31-2020 | 02:26 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

As was said, nobody knows including Porsche. But for what it’s worth, my 2015 Macan S was delivered on July 3 2014 and my wife took delivery of her 2016 Cayenne S in June 2015.

Be safe.
Old 03-31-2020 | 08:32 AM
Metalblond
Pro

My 992 was scheduled for delivery in late June and it is now pushed out to late July--so it looks like we are looking at at least a month delay.
Old 03-31-2020 | 09:02 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Metalblond
My 992 was scheduled for delivery in late June and it is now pushed out to late July--so it looks like we are looking at at least a month delay.
Was it locked?
Old 03-31-2020 | 02:40 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

I'm wagering that when Turbos start getting delivered late summer early fall, we'll switch over to 2021 model year productions. Probably start seeing 2021s in August or September.
Drizz (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020 | 02:48 PM
Drizz
Racer

One thing odd is that the "Track your Dream" website shows my Order Created date as 3/19/20, whereas the original order was created a full month prior. The site originally showed the earlier date, but now it shows it at a later date. I wonder if that's just a flaw in their system as they pushed everything out a few weeks so that includes even the initial milestone. My change freeze date, for instance, has pushed back 20 days.

Again, I'm not really concerned with any of this as there's much bigger issues going on around the world right now...just trying to follow it all and see what other's are experiencing.

One of the replies mentioned they wouldn't want to take delivery of a car now. Not sure their reasoning, but I'm been thinking about that as well depending on what the situation looks like with COVID-19 in August. Just from the fact that tons of people are dying I honestly would feel awkward driving around in a brand new $150K car. I know one has nothing to do with the other, but the optics aren't great. Odd how people perceive "the 1%" as well. I'm a CFO for a large corporation and, as part of our response to the current crisis, my fellow executive team and I all volunteered up significant pay cuts to avoid having to cut as many jobs lower down the totem pole. Most responses from the company to this action were positive, but then there's some people angry we didn't cut more saying we should essentially be working for free right now to save jobs. I'm working 80 hour weeks under immense stress, so I don't exactly agree with that suggestion, but nevertheless it's the perception out there that people are rich (and bad) while others are hurting. Anyway...way off topic here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drizz:
Dan Nagy (03-31-2020), SamuelJames (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020 | 03:02 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drizz
One thing odd is that the "Track your Dream" website shows my Order Created date as 3/19/20, whereas the original order was created a full month prior. The site originally showed the earlier date, but now it shows it at a later date. I wonder if that's just a flaw in their system as they pushed everything out a few weeks so that includes even the initial milestone. My change freeze date, for instance, has pushed back 20 days.

Again, I'm not really concerned with any of this as there's much bigger issues going on around the world right now...just trying to follow it all and see what other's are experiencing.

One of the replies mentioned they wouldn't want to take delivery of a car now. Not sure their reasoning, but I'm been thinking about that as well depending on what the situation looks like with COVID-19 in August. Just from the fact that tons of people are dying I honestly would feel awkward driving around in a brand new $150K car. I know one has nothing to do with the other, but the optics aren't great. Odd how people perceive "the 1%" as well. I'm a CFO for a large corporation and, as part of our response to the current crisis, my fellow executive team and I all volunteered up significant pay cuts to avoid having to cut as many jobs lower down the totem pole. Most responses from the company to this action were positive, but then there's some people angry we didn't cut more saying we should essentially be working for free right now to save jobs. I'm working 80 hour weeks under immense stress, so I don't exactly agree with that suggestion, but nevertheless it's the perception out there that people are rich (and bad) while others are hurting. Anyway...way off topic here.
So the same happened with my order earlier this year--ordered 12/20, and after a while it changed to a month later in the TYD site. TYD is just pulling data from some backend piglike database with some nice lipstick on top, so who knows why these things happen.

As to the rest, ya, I agree and I literally feel your pain. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2020 | 03:19 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Mine was supposed to lock last week and deliver the second week of May. Oh well, at least it’s in the system. I really want the build to be a 2020 and hoping for June. I’d like to take it on a trip to Cape Cod and also another trip Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge parkway to Florida for scalloping season.
Drizz (03-31-2020)

Quick Reply: When will 2021 production begin?